Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,960 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My girlfriend and I are moving from the east coast to Phoenix in about 2 months. She's been there once for like 3 days, and I've never been, so we're a bit in the dark (but they offered BOTH of us teaching jobs, and we heard good things, so what the hell, right?!) She'll be teaching in Glendale and I'll be teaching in north Buckeye (pretty much Avondale.) I guess we're a bit overwhelmed by all the different areas to live in, with their own unique reputations. I don't mind the commute, and I'd prefer to be closer in to the city, so we're thinking more towards Glendale. Is this a nice area to live? Are there specific regions to look out for? Would you recommend any other area that won't be too much of a commute for either of us (I'm thinking 30-40 minutes TOPS.) This seems vague, I know, but seriously, any suggestions or resources would help. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,956,679 times
Glendale is pretty large, where in Glendale will she be teaching at?

Old 05-02-2013, 07:44 PM

582 posts, read 1,483,995 times
One of you working in Glendale and one in Buckeye. What is your rent budget? Salaries are much lower here than on the East Coast.

You don't really need to consider a long commute. I would look at Avondale, Litchfield Park, or Goodyear. What part of Glendale will you girlfriend be working in? Glendale is a little spotty, but I am thinking about your working in Buckeye. Living near I-10 and the 101 loop would be decent for both of you, and a simple drive to the downtown area on weekends.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Avondale is not pretty much north Buckeye. It is about 15 miles away from Buckeye or more depending on where you are going. I would focus my search on Goodyear. It is a better place on balance than Glendale, Avondale or Buckeye although there are nice parts of all of those. The best home deals in Goodyear are south of the freeway and from Estrella Parkway going mostly west. The priciest parts are Estrella which is about 10 miles south of the freeway and the Palm Valley area which is just north of it.

From Goodyear, even Estrella, you can get to anywhere in Buckeye in 1/2 hour or less. Glendale is pretty easy too going up the 101. 30 minutes again at most. Traffic would not be a big problem even in rush hour.

I don't know how much you are going to want to go into the "city" when you actually live here, but on weekends it is about 20-25 minutes away if you live close to I10 in Goodyear.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:26 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,983,383 times
Believe me avoid a long commute as much as possible. And there's no "North Buckeye" and Avondale is not north of Buckeye but a good 10-15 miles east of there. Glendale is nice for the most part but the northern half of Glendale/Arrowhead area where a lot of people look at when considering Glendale is a drive from Buckeye. However you will be going against traffic but still a distance. I would try to live at a halfway point if I were you guys. Like the West Gate Area of Glendale, Avondale, Litchfield Park, Southern areas of Peoria. Goodyear is a also a good choice but depending on how far north in Glendale your working it could be a farther drive for you but doable since the 101 (Aqua Fria Hwy) isn't very heavily used (yet).

Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,241,227 times
Avondale isn't north Buckeye and there is an entire city between the two.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:52 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,508,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Avondale isn't north Buckeye and there is an entire city between the two.
Thank you.

Buckeye is considered the far west valley, it's growing and contains some nice developed communities but it's still considered pretty far out there.

For the OP, I would certainly consider Goodyear, Litchfield Park, or northern Avondale, they are good halfway points for living between the jobs.

I don't recommend Tolleson, Maryvale, the part of Avondale below I-10, or certain parts of Glendale, they are very sketchy.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,245,456 times
What district is your wife in? Is it Avondale ESD? Agua Fria HS? Tolleson Union?

As mentioned, that part of your post is confusing as there is no Avondale that is pretty much northern Buckeye. Buckeye is a separate city that is quite a bit west of Avondale.

However, there is a Buckeye Rd (and Lower Buckeye Rd) that run through Avondale with plenty of schools around them.

Also as mentioned, Glendale is massive. Also, to make things more confusing that not all schools in Glendale are actually in a Glendale named district. Here is the boundary map for the Glendale ESD which covers a decent amount (but not close to all) of Glendale

http://portals.gesd40.org/district/r...Boundaries.pdf

Even within that district there is still a decent difference between working at Coyote Ridge and working at Horizon ..... my wife actually moved to AZ for a job in the Glendale ESD

As for commute - 30 to 40 minutes tops will give you both plenty of options depending on where exactly your schools are and what you are looking for in a place.

One thing about Phoenix is there really isn't "the city" as someone from the east coast would think of it ..... it's not an overly dense city with a concentration of things .... it's more spread out and while there is plenty to see, do, eat, drink, watch, whatever .... it's not all bundled nicely into any one area ... you have to work a little to find stuff

I would make a couple assumptions and guess that you are younger, no children, not looking to buy into a place (giving flexibility to move in the future) and are looking for something safe, relatively affordable and convenient ........ off hand based on that I would recommend the arrowhead area around 83rd Ave & Bell Road (closer commute for you, worse for her depending on her school could be toward the edge of your max commute), Westage area near Glendale & 101 Fwy (not sure on you, but if she's in Avondale than it would most likely be 15-30 minutes)

You also could look towards mid-town .... some nice places close to Central Avenue - you would have a reverse commute that would cover some miles but it would move quickly and you could live close enough to light rail access while going out downtown, midtown and being within easy reach of some other places

If you were looking for something a bit more suburban I'd look towards Goodyear, Avondale, LP & Glendale - pretty much from I-10 to Camelback Rd from Litchfield Road to the 101 ..... anywhere in there would most likely be a mid-point for you both based on my best guess based on what you wrote ..... plenty of good, quiet, nieghborhoods .... some options for bars, restaurants, etc .... every typical home convenience will be close .... not much of a scene to it though .. but you'd have good access to freeways and good commutes to both avondale & glendale

Old 05-04-2013, 11:18 PM

570 posts, read 1,003,802 times
Buckeye has a lot of land..."North Buckeye" could be headed towards Surprise or even Wickenburg! Use major cross streets and others may have a better idea.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 13,482 times
Smile Where to live in Glendale, AZ?

I'm looking for an apartment for around $400 a month Which I can find in Glendale, but I know some areas are not good.

What streets are good to live on? How far south do I want to go? I don't want to be in a ghetto/ crime-ridden area..

Currently I live in Tucson. Overall, is Glendale pretty safe and nice?

Looking in the Glendale/Peoria/Surprise areas*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area