Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 07:23 PM

68 posts, read 195,986 times

Advertisements

Because I rely on ADA transportation to get places, I'm curious if Glendale (zips 85301 through 85308) has everything spread out like some of the other towns. Is there any "plaza" or square, etc. that might have for example, a hairdresser, a bank, and a supermarket - of something similar. I posed a similar question about Phoenix in general, but I'm narrowing this to Glendale now. I am in CT and am trying to figure out how easily I can get to different places. It sounds like I might have to make one trip to a bank - then another day to get a haircut- and another day to a library and so forth. It's hard for me to picture this because it's probably very different here in CT. I'm wondering if I just make a trip to a bank and there is no where else to go - I'm going to have to hang out at the bank for a good hour or too waiting for my ride to get me. I know some of the board before told me it'll be tough without a car - but I do have that ADA transit service so now I just need to know this other info. Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 07:35 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
There aren't that many library branches, so that will likely be a separate trip. You may well find a bank and a hairdresser on the same corner-- most of the banks are on the corner, many have small "strip mall" type shopping centers of varying sizes behind them where you'll find other business you might need.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:52 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,696 times
You should probably located the library and see whats around it. Use Google maps

[mod cut--off topic]

Last edited by observer53; 06-06-2013 at 10:05 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 10:00 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Glendale is a large town. If you are going to be buying a place to live here you might want to hook up with a local realtor that could answer all your questions and find you a compatible area to fit most of your needs.
Glendale has ADA services, here is their website for you to see what's available transportation wise etal for your needs also. Glendale, AZ - Transportation - Transit

Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
Smile Banks in stores

Hello --

Out here, many grocery stores have a bank branch conveniently located inside the store. You can do everything you need to do at these banks: get a loan, open an account, see the teller, or use the ATM. For example, our local Fry's Grocery [Kroger] has a Chase Bank inside, as well as it's own pharmacy, where you can pick up your prescriptions. Most of the stores also have a floral section, and also have an eating area. So you may not need to make so many stops.

Similarly, many of the chain drug stores, such as Walgreen's, also have a Chase Bank ATM in each store, Some of the drug stores now have a small medical clinic inside, often staffed by a Nurse Practitioner. Walgreen's also sells a limited amount of food. I know we occasionally will run out of milk at our house, and we walk over to Walgreen's and pick up a gallon. It is a little bit more expensive, but since we are walking, we spend nothing on transportation.

And then, there is Wally World, aka Wal-Mart Supercenter, which has everything except the kitchen sink.

Finally, here is a link which explains about transportation services in Glendale:
Glendale, AZ - Transportation - Transit.
And of course, we have the regular Valley Metro bus service also.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
A lot of good information already

google maps can also help you out a bit to see what is in the area

here are the library locations for Glendale:
Library Locations

I'm fairly familiar with them

There really isn't much right next to Main - it's right next to Sahauro Ranch Park which is a really nice free public park that is a bit unique for out here

A little bit further south down 59th you have Glendale Community College ... you could take the bus up 59th and it starts to pick up with plazas starting at Thunderbird (some banks, grocery stores, restaurants, etc) ... taking the bus that runs on 59th south would run you to downtown glendale - but if that is where you wanted to be you might as well go to Velma Teague which is downtown glendale .... not a great option for groceries, but a lot of good mom & pop style restaurants, antique stores and some misc stores as well as a couple banks down there

The other is up in the northern part of Glendale - the foothills branch - there is really nothing within walking distance for you there .... there is a bus route you can run back down to cross onto union hills or with even more options bell road .... if you make it back down to bell road you can connect to the bell road bus that has it's terminus at the arrowhead mall which is a nice airconditioned spot if you need to kill some time waiting for a ride

Bell road is very busy and you'll find a whole host of items

As mentioned the basic layout is that on the major intersections you'll typically have the corners developed with strip malls - where I get my haircut in goodyear is in a plaza next to one grocery store, some fast food, some misc shops and across the street from another grocery store, my bank, more shops, etc .... I could get a lot of stuff done on just those two corners

However, depending on what you like and where you land it may be one of those where you get dropped off one place then bus to another plaza or the library and then get your ride back .... the buses pretty much follow the grid and they work fine for going short distances (which is all that you would need to do)

Old 06-07-2013, 12:07 PM

68 posts, read 195,986 times
Default thanks

Thanks everyone - your info. is very helpful!

Old 06-07-2013, 12:57 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
no problem .... based on your other post about where your husbands job is, his office would be closest to the foothills branch and that one mainly serves that northern stretch of glendale / arrowhead area

many options though - just find the one that works for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area