Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 04:46 PM

570 posts, read 1,003,579 times

Advertisements

I would hate to think the Surprise PD acts like this, if the story is true. Links below.

Surprise man charged with DUI; documents show drug recognition experts said no impairment present

Jessie Thornton, Man Arrested For DUI Despite 0.000 Alcohol Level, To Sue Police For Racial Profiling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 05:08 PM

156 posts, read 421,121 times
D.W.B. in Surprise!

Old 06-11-2013, 05:24 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,245,456 times
you can get a DUI while not having any alcohol in your system .... "intoxicating liquor" isn't the only thing that can lead to impairment ..... however, IMO it appears a stretch to have his action (if it even happened) be consistent with impairment from a substance

unfortunately there are some hyper agressive cops out there

I'd be hesitant to say it's race related though - mainly because the ramped up enforcement of DUI has led to many instances that clearly shade the line.

An example is this couple from Mesa (white)
Heather Squires was arrested for DUI without drinking a drop of alcohol - Page 1 - News - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times

Also, I've personally been tagged twice on DUI fishing stops by cops .... once back in my small town hometown in NY and once in my neighborhood out here

The time out here I made the mistake of driving home from a friends house about 12:30 -1:00am ....... coming down the main street that feeds into the subdivisions I noticed a police officer sitting back in one of the cross streets ....... I pretty much figured I had a good chance of getting pulled over ... I knew my lights and everything were good, checked my speed and it was appropriate. Full stop. Within the lines. Signal into my neighborhood.

As soon as I made the turn into my neighborhood (about 1 block past) he lit me up.

He must of immediately realized I was sober and was pretty much a jerk the whole time. His stated reason for pulling me over was it "looked like you were going a little fast back there". A complete lie, so I responded "really? I thought I was a little under - what is the limit back there?" ....... his response "I don't know what the limit is, just looked like you were going a little fast"

He proceeded to try and give me a hard time about other things that were in order until a call came in that he had to run off to ... at which point he left abruptly muttering that I was free to go.

It's unfortunate these type of things happen - but they do.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,925,737 times
I don't think this had anything to do with race. The sad fact is that due to the influence of MADD, the militarization of the civilian police, and the ease with which an officer can invoke magic words like bloodshot eyes while lazily writing their reports, cops view DUI stops as low hanging fruit and career boosters.

I fully expect that one day it will be a crime to drive within 48 hours of merely dreaming about drinking alcohol.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:28 PM

727 posts, read 1,535,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I don't think this had anything to do with race. The sad fact is that due to the influence of MADD, the militarization of the civilian police, and the ease with which an officer can invoke magic words like bloodshot eyes while lazily writing their reports, cops view DUI stops as low hanging fruit and career boosters.

I fully expect that one day it will be a crime to drive within 48 hours of merely dreaming about drinking alcohol.
You hit the nail on the head. MADD is way out of control, and are becoming the NRA of traffic laws. The resource officer thinks the current limit of 0.08 is ridiculous because people are still able to drive at that limit, and is annoyed because they're talking about dropping the limit to 0.05. Besides, there's a bigger risk from aggressive driving and road rage, but where's the outrage?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:57 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,614,622 times
Charges have been dropped by the DA. Reports are that Surprise police have pulled this guy over10 times. Something is wrong here and I bet the city settles before the dirt comes out.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:59 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,724,595 times
I knew before coming here from NY that the whole DUI is open to interpretation and one can get a DUI for taking a sleeping pill or cough syrup. Any prescribed depressant for that matter. I find it amazing how many people I know go out and just have one drink at a restaurant. What's the point ? One drink does nothing to most people so why potentially get hassled for DUI after one 12 ounce bottle of Dos Equis at Majerle's ? Which is why I drink at home after all my errands are done. If I'm out with friends, drink soda or juice. I think the DUI laws are anal retentive but it is what it is and have to accept the guidelines and adjust one's lifestyle appropriately.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,245,456 times
there is a presumption of being under the influence of intoxicating liquor in AZ which is at less than .05

Old 06-11-2013, 07:52 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,694,581 times
Sad fact->You can be cited for DUI despite not actually being inebriated. Its often fairly straightforward to beat, but you need an attorney for that, which isn't cheap, so you could be totally innocent, maybe just tired or maybe the police officer is having a bad day and in their judgment, you are driving under the influence. Even if innocent you could be guilty.

Also keep in mind that there are many who are pushing for the legal BAC to be dropped even further, meaning you'd get hell of a lot more of these DUI after not drinking cases.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
I hope this man gets a nice fat check from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area