Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:36 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times

Advertisements

We were just browsing through interesting areas of the country yesterday and discovered that the real estate taxes in the Sun Cities/Surprise area are astronomically low. Has it always been this way and how does your state government make up for the tax since it isn't placed on houses/condos? We have a friend who's in-laws live in Az. and it sounds like license plates are high there, but there must be some other things that are exceptionally high to make up for that deficit. Is that correct?

Also, what are the normal Association Fees charged in communities in those areas? AND homeowner's insurance~ since you have no catastrophic weather~what are your insurance rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 12:54 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Sun City has lower taxes but I thought Surprise had one of the highest sales tax.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Sun City has lower taxes but I thought Surprise had one of the highest sales tax.
What is the sales tax in that area? Do you have the same tax on food as other items?

Old 11-05-2007, 01:03 PM

343 posts, read 552,595 times
Tourism is getting to be a bigger industry and jobs growth add to the tax base.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM

284 posts, read 1,020,713 times
Surprise is 8.5%
Sun City is 6.3%

I think food is exempt from tax but i could be wrong

Old 11-05-2007, 02:18 PM

343 posts, read 552,595 times
Food is exempt, but not restaurant service.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:20 PM

98 posts, read 297,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nice Baby! View Post
Food is exempt, but not restaurant service.
...and that's some HEFTY tax!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:42 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
We were just browsing through interesting areas of the country yesterday and discovered that the real estate taxes in the Sun Cities/Surprise area are astronomically low. Has it always been this way and how does your state government make up for the tax since it isn't placed on houses/condos? We have a friend who's in-laws live in Az. and it sounds like license plates are high there, but there must be some other things that are exceptionally high to make up for that deficit. Is that correct?

Also, what are the normal Association Fees charged in communities in those areas? AND homeowner's insurance~ since you have no catastrophic weather~what are your insurance rates?
Good questions, Jammie

I cannot speak for the entire country since I relocated here from California about ten years ago, however, I feel the tax situation in Arizona is a "piece of cake" by comparison. That includes Vehicle Licenses, Real Estate Taxes as well as Sales Taxes.

As for HOA Fees . . . they vary greatly mainly due directly to the services or benefits offered. Some HOAs cover water and trash pick up while others do not. Some HOAs actually include the building insurance so the homeowner only needs to have "interior" insurance similar to a renters insurance policy. Some HOAs include exterior maintenance while other do not.

Bottom line . . . tough to compare unless all of the details are on the table.

I hope this makes a little sense out of a fairly complicated question.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:14 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
We have food tax...I think it is 1.something percent. Looking for Costco receipt to verify. Yep, 1.8% on food. Not on prepared items, but on groceries.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:49 PM

Well, I've got to tell you that 6.3% isn't really that high of a tax. Our tax is 7% since we have a bit of city tax on there. Our food is taxes at 4%, I believe. But our tax rate is a bit over $21 per 1,000.

I read some place that the Sun Cities don't pay any school taxes which could explain a bit of the low cost, but it still surprises me that this is possible.

And yes, I understand totally what you're saying about the HOA fees different. I never thought about that.

So could anyone tell me how much it costs to license a car down there? I've heard it's astronomical, but after reading Bummer's post, I'm starting to wonder about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area