Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:50 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
For other who didn't see the other thread the OP wants to get away from the Mormoms, because they won't play with their kid. OP move anywhere besides Gilbert or Mesa to get away from them.
I don't think the OP said the Mormons won't play with her kid. But IF that is what she thinks is happening, I'd wonder if relocating is gonna solve the problem. I used to babysit our Mormon neighbors kids on occasion and everyone was happy with that arrangement. The fact that I was Jewish-Anglican-Athiest by heritage and simply non religious by choice was a non factor. Especially since the little kids weren't into religious discussions. They preferred Sesame Street and coloring books and our pool table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 12:29 AM

943 posts, read 2,521,731 times
After reading your other post, I would simply add that we quickly decided to move to Goodyear (West Valley) after hearing stories from friends about raising their children in the East Valley and the impact Mormonism had on their kids. Every Mormon I've known has been very kind and family-oriented, but we didn't want our kids to have to deal with a religion that is so different than our own. I've had several friends that used to live in the East Valley and moved to the West Valley for this reason.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:18 AM

2,287 posts, read 3,083,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sws9 View Post
Anyone have any input/opinions on desirable neighborhoods in any of the cities: Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Ahwahtukee or Scottsdale? Would love your opinions and details if you have them.

We're looking for 4+ BR, 2+ BA, 2000+ sq ft houses. The usual family friendly amenities - e.g. parks, etc. We really want a green area rather than desert landscape. Our price range would be similar to that what is found in VVL - we could go up to 400k but would prefer not to. We'd be ok w/ needing to do some aesthetic rehab for a better price.

Thank you so much for your time.
Since the OP said specifically they are looking in Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Ahwatukee, or Scottsdale, I'm not sure how a number of posts directing to the West Valley is going to help.

OP: If you are looking for desirable neighborhoods that have a less "desert" feel for under 400k, you probably aren't going to find anything in Scottsdale that fits the bill at the square footage you are looking for. Therefore, that basicall limits you to Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Ahwatukee, although I'd say that you should add south Tempe to your list, as well. It's similar to Chandler/Ahwatukee with Kyrene schools and far enough away from the influence of the college students once south of US60.

Some desirable neighborhoods I know of that might fit the bill -

Mesa - Dobson Ranch (nice amenities but the homes are a bit older and not sure about the schools)
Gilbert - Power Ranch, Agritopia (LOVE Agritopia, it feels like the midwest plopped down in the desert)
Chandler - Gila Springs, Fulton Ranch, Ocotillo, Waterside at Ocotillo, Pine Lakes
South Tempe - Warner Ranch, The Lakes (older but LOTS of trees & great clubhouse), Oasis, Estate La Colina, Raintree, Alisanos
Ahwatukee - Pointe South Mountain (this is where I live, very lush), Mountain Park Ranch, Club West, Desert Foothills, Lakewood

How do I know about all these? I've driven every single one of these neighborhoods either from months and months of house searching in these areas, from living in the area and exploring on my own, garage sailing on the weekends, and from my job. I love the East Valley and know it well.

Good luck in your search!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:36 AM

603 posts, read 946,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Since the OP said specifically they are looking in Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Ahwatukee, or Scottsdale, I'm not sure how a number of posts directing to the West Valley is going to help.
I wonder why OP excluded Tempe.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:19 AM

2,287 posts, read 3,083,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
I wonder why OP excluded Tempe.
Some people view Tempe as just a bunch of student apartments and older tract housing but don't realize that it has a "non-studenty" part with a much newer and different feel once you get south of, say, Guadalupe Road. Or they just forgot.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:27 AM

4,072 posts, read 5,152,771 times
I have lived in Clemente Ranch for the past 7 years in Chandler. Love the area, great schools and great neighbors. If you are looking for "green" maybe try Arden Park (Germann and Alma School) or the neighborhood south of Alma School and Queen Creek (I forget the name), it is a lakes community. Ocotillo would have some homes in your price range as well.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:11 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,972 times
Seville in Gilbert (Riggs/Higley) has an acclaimed elementary school, Fantastic pool area, new homes, New stores, and is a great family community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area