Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 10:44 PM

595 posts, read 1,248,635 times

Advertisements

Maybe there are sissoo steroids in your soil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,834 times
Try digging down around the perimeter of the tree to the root level and place salt tabs. The salt will stop the root from growing and potentially the suckers. Bags of salt are cheap so it's worth a shot.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,683 times
I believe the problem of your sissoo tree sprouting suckers is because the original hole that you planted in was not deep or large enough. Also, you need to do a slow watering near the root ball. The so-called suckers are roots trying to find water which means you have too much surface water, rather than deep watering. I have planted several sissoos with no problems, as you can see by other respondents that they have not experienced your problem. The sissoo makes a beautiful green shade tree year round.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:15 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,012,125 times
I don't like the trees, myself. They don't have good form, are only light green in color, and aren't very hardy in deep freezes. I'd go with a southern live oak. They can take it down to 15 degrees or lower and have dark green leaves.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:17 AM

38,963 posts, read 50,889,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I don't like the trees, myself. They don't have good form, are only light green in color, and aren't very hardy in deep freezes. I'd go with a southern live oak. They can take it down to 15 degrees or lower and have dark green leaves.
It's not the best tree for a retiree, though.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:18 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,012,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Many native trees don't provide enough shade to block out the sun's intensity or the summertime heat.

Rely on rain? What rain? There would barely be any greenery or shadetrees if we all did that.
You are quite right about that. But in all fairness, palo verdes do provide "light" shade, as do ironwood trees. But both are so common in the valley that I find them BORING.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:23 AM

2,617 posts, read 2,302,300 times
I figured it's time for me to bump this thread. Our "lovely" Sissoo in the front yard caused major sewer line damage which is costing us $5k alone to run a seamless pipe up into our bathroom, complete with jack hammering through your foundation to attach the pipe. The $5k doesn't include tile replacement and homeowner's insurance does not cover this issue at all.

We think this tree has been here about 12 year from the original owners. Our house was built in 2002 so this root was able to tunnel from the front yard and under our house about 20 feet in that time frame. We've only been in this house 1.5 years and can't believe we are dealing with a mess like this.

We are getting bids to removed this tree today as well. I know it's costly but I am hoping that would stop the spread of the roots which is still sitting under our bathroom. I am under the impression that while the tree will shoot up offspring, if you are diligent enough to continue to attack those, that without oxygen/photosynthesis, the roots won't be expanding. They removed part of the root near the foundation. It looked like another branch of the tree....just underground.

DO NOT PLANT A SISSOO NEAR ANY STRUCTURE.

This is the part of the root removed from the start of the foundation, about 3 feet underground. Here's our lovely bathroom.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:11 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,122,962 times
I just had a sissoo removed from in front of my house last week. Luckily my HOA is paying for it but they still have to come back out and remove roots and stump. It was planted in 2001 in a six foot wide landscape area with four city of Phoenix water meters right next to it. Whoever decided to plant this tree was clueless. It's already destroyed one of my neighbor's water meter twice. It provided a ton of shade on the west facing side of my house but the potential for structural damage was too great so it had to go.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:14 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,940,091 times
I had 4 Sisso tree on my property when I bought my house. I am down to 1.5. I can't express my hatred for them enough. I chopped just the top off of one because I didn't have a chainsaw to cut the trunk and within a month it grew all new branches and looked like nothing had happened. My last one is to big for me to cut down, so it will have to be professionally removed. I get suckers in the front yard almost 30 feet away from the trees in the back yard.

They really shouldn't even sell these in the valley anymore, no one here has a lot big enough for these trees.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:23 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,302,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I just had a sissoo removed from in front of my house last week. Luckily my HOA is paying for it but they still have to come back out and remove roots and stump. It was planted in 2001 in a six foot wide landscape area with four city of Phoenix water meters right next to it. Whoever decided to plant this tree was clueless. It's already destroyed one of my neighbor's water meter twice. It provided a ton of shade on the west facing side of my house but the potential for structural damage was too great so it had to go.
I doubt the HOA covers this removal as the homeowners prior to us placed it in the front yard.

I have two companies coming out for estimates today.

How does the HOA cover your situation? It was planted on city property adjacent to yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area