Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,817 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what people thought of areas to work.
Would you work in Old Town Scottsdale, or City North which is next to Desert Ridge?
If it was a great job, would you consider it based on the location or would the location not be an issue.

If you were a young Graduate out of College, would you think bars and nightlife were important (old Town) to be close too, or if the job was up in north Scottsdale would that be an issue with commuting and limited nightlife.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
if, if, if....

is this hypothetical or do you have a real job offer with these choices?

only you can make these decisions....each spot has pros and cons to me which may not even be issues for you....I don't think we can help you....

however, if the choice really is between CityNorth and downtown Scotts, that's easy!!.....CityNorth is a failed development in a somewhat desolate area....downtown Scottsdale is, well, downtown Scottsdale.....

Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 AM

62 posts, read 171,917 times
and CityNorth is in Phoenix not Scottsdale.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin out of reno View Post
and CityNorth is in Phoenix not Scottsdale.
Right. "North Scottsdale" and CityNorth are two very different places, in my mind. And, to the OP - the question is all very hypothetical and very dependent on your personal preferences, including where you would be living. Very difficult to answer in any meaningful way.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Right. "North Scottsdale" and CityNorth are two very different places, in my mind.
They might be different in your mind, but City North is right on top of North Scottsdale on a map - it's not like we are discussing areas that are 50 miles apart. Living in North Scottsdale & working near City North would be a very easy "reverse" commute..

As for "nightlife", if you're into that I'd suggest you move within easy walking distance to your preferred "nightlife" hangouts. Drunk driving arrests are big business all over the Phoenix metro, and Scottsdale (both north and south) is crawling with cops. The locals here often say, "come on vacation, leave on probation" , and that statement is rooted in fact.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
They might be different in your mind, but City North is right on top of North Scottsdale on a map - it's not like we are discussing areas that are 50 miles apart. Living in North Scottsdale & working near City North would be a very easy "reverse" commute..

As for "nightlife", if you're into that I'd suggest you move within easy walking distance to your preferred "nightlife" hangouts. Drunk driving arrests are big business all over the Phoenix metro, and Scottsdale (both north and south) is crawling with cops. The locals here often say, "come on vacation, leave on probation" , and that statement is rooted in fact.
I didn't say they were far apart geographically, but they are distinct locations each with a different feel. Your advice to the OP regarding "nightlife" is spot on. If I were the OP, I'd be living and working in the same area. Makes Old Town for work, and living, sound more appealing. Going back and forth on the 101 after an evening of "nightlife" is, as you suggest, not the best idea.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:54 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,943 times
Obviously, only you can decide. But, I would take the best job. You can live right in between and enjoy both.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:23 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
I'm getting on this thread a little late, but the most important issue as far as job location should be the salary ... not how close to the nightlife it is. Of course, commute time would be a large part of the decision as well. If somebody lives in Desert Ridge and was offered a job at CityNorth, then the commute wouldn't be much of an issue at all. But for somebody who lives in Avondale or Gilbert, the long commute would be something to consider. Another thing to keep in mind is most (not all) of the higher paying jobs are generally in established or centrally located areas ... so if it's nightlife & good restaurant proximity you're wanting, it's always better to consider a more centralized area.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:23 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,656 times
A job is where you make a living. Wherever you get paid the most with the least amount of hassle. You can easily drive to recreational places.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:28 PM

131 posts, read 344,735 times
I worked in Old Town for 5 years and now work at 56th and the 101 right across the street from Desert Ridge. I would say that I liked Old Town better but that was because I had a bunch of places to go with my co-workers to lunch within walking distance. Old Town was a pain during spring training and when all of the snow birds came into town but I still liked it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area