Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Why?
Because the water is so hard here that you need to drain water to get some of the calcium out and bring your CH down, also allows salt pools to drain water and bring down the salt level which increases over time due to the sodium level of the water here that keeps getting added to compensate for evaporation. If you chlorinate your pool you eventually get to much CYA as Cyanuric Acid is added to the pucks and the level will get too high.

The only way to reduce the calcium level, salt level or Cya level is to drain water which a good rain lets you do without having to pay to refill with tap water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 02:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Because the water is so hard here that you need to drain water to get some of the calcium out and bring your CH down, also allows salt pools to drain water and bring down the salt level which increases over time due to the sodium level of the water here that keeps getting added to compensate for evaporation. If you chlorinate your pool you eventually get to much CYA as Cyanuric Acid is added to the pucks and the level will get too high.

The only way to reduce the calcium level, salt level or Cya level is to drain water which a good rain lets you do without having to pay to refill with tap water.
Hmmm good info.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:10 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,936 times
Far east Mesa here and it's been POURING all morning. I had to backwash my pool or it would have over-flowed. It was trash day in my neighborhood the run-off was so heavy, several empty trash cans were floating down the street.
According to the Flood Control District of Maricopa County, from the rain gauges located on the hill just behind my house, it looks like we got 1.5 inches in the last 3 hours.
I'm hoping it rains good for the next few days to fill up all the lakes.

Last edited by maverick974; 09-09-2013 at 02:26 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 02:16 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Hmmm good info.
Evaporation only takes the water, it leaves the salt, calcium and cya in the pool. When new water is added by your auto fill to compensate for the evaporation it puts more calcium and sodium in the pool so eventually the levels get way to high and the only way to bring them down is drain water to keep them in check. Using chlorine pucks adds cya each time and eventually that level gets too high and causes your chlorine to no longer be effective.

I drain some water every year and add new water from the tap. I've been able to skip this procedure a couple years when it rained enough that I got to drain some water due to my pool level being too high.

It's only a benefit if you actually drain your pool after a good rain. If you just let it evaporate back down to the proper level there is no benefit as none of the salt, calcium or cya leaves the pool. Turn on the filter and let the new rain water get mixed up with the old water and then drain the pool down to the proper level and let it take a bunch of salt, calcium and cya down the drain. On a salt pool you have to add cya yourself so when you drain the excess rainwater it takes some of the cya with it and eventually you'll have to add some more cya (called conditioner or stabilizer). Cya is cheap and easy to keep at the proper level in a salt pool since it isn't constantly added with the chlorine pucks.

Last edited by LBTRS; 09-09-2013 at 02:30 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 02:59 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
Flooded streets, downpour all morning, still dribbling. Love it! Although my VW bug bogged out on the way to the store and I had to for go the shopping until the rain let up. All in all pretty fun experience, we rarely get weather events of any kind, so I enjoyed it.
Yes, I played in it! lol

Old 09-10-2013, 05:23 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
PREDICTION: Monsoon 2013 is history. Today is the last day of monsoonal type rain and dew point will be dropping off to fall like levels over the next few days. Hooray! I can't wait for the dry air to return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area