Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2013, 12:42 PM
 
Location: La Jolla, CA
7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
Reputation: 11675

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth1313 View Post
I am 36 and engaged. We moved from Philly. We live right in the Kierland/Scottsdale Quarter area that was spoken about. There are a couple really nice complexes to chose from. We love our complex because of the area, pool, garage, size of the apartment, gym on site, and it is relatively quiet. The convenience is amazing in this area for shopping, restaurants, grocery stores ect..

I love it because while I like to go out to a happening bar/club every once in awhile I don't want to live near them. Old town is 9 miles away from me and a straight shot down the road. We have also been wondering how to meet some nice people. I think it gets harder the older you get and it is a lot easier for guys to make friends then girls. I will have to check out the meet up site and see what it going on in the area.

Let me know if you need any specific names of complexes to look at in the area.

Good Luck! We love it here :-)
You picked a great area, and the area you live in isn't the reason you're having problems meeting people, nor is the problem specific to Phoenix. You hit the nail on the head, which is that as you get older, it just gets harder because most people get married and have kids, then they go off on that path which usually involves social circles. So if you don't have kids and school or athletic activities to link you to other people who have something in common, you have to make that link some other way.

One advantage to this region is that it's very transient, so people more or less expect new faces, and it's easy to establish friendships here, unlike other areas of the country where people don't move in or out that much. The challenge is getting out to actually meet people so you have an opportunity to establish a social group. Just keep working at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2013, 12:09 AM
 
Location: USA
3,966 posts, read 10,702,135 times
Reputation: 2228
I'm with the others in finding a nice place to live. Downtown Scottsdale has a lot of senior citizens living there full time. I would find a nice place to live first then worry about finding others. I agree with the others on meetup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM
 
5 posts, read 10,152 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth1313 View Post
I am 36 and engaged. We moved from Philly. We live right in the Kierland/Scottsdale Quarter area that was spoken about. There are a couple really nice complexes to chose from. We love our complex because of the area, pool, garage, size of the apartment, gym on site, and it is relatively quiet. The convenience is amazing in this area for shopping, restaurants, grocery stores ect..

I love it because while I like to go out to a happening bar/club every once in awhile I don't want to live near them. Old town is 9 miles away from me and a straight shot down the road. We have also been wondering how to meet some nice people. I think it gets harder the older you get and it is a lot easier for guys to make friends then girls. I will have to check out the meet up site and see what it going on in the area.

Let me know if you need any specific names of complexes to look at in the area.

Good Luck! We love it here :-)

Thanks so much for the info.. If you could give me the name of the complex that would be great.. I am looking at the Kierland area, as I see it is more for my age group and I do like the vibe of that area as I can see online anyways.. And we can meet up sometime maybe and seeming girls of course do always seem harder to get to know than guys, we can know each other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 12:52 PM
 
5 posts, read 10,152 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
You picked a great area, and the area you live in isn't the reason you're having problems meeting people, nor is the problem specific to Phoenix. You hit the nail on the head, which is that as you get older, it just gets harder because most people get married and have kids, then they go off on that path which usually involves social circles. So if you don't have kids and school or athletic activities to link you to other people who have something in common, you have to make that link some other way.

One advantage to this region is that it's very transient, so people more or less expect new faces, and it's easy to establish friendships here, unlike other areas of the country where people don't move in or out that much. The challenge is getting out to actually meet people so you have an opportunity to establish a social group. Just keep working at it.

I've lived all over the US, Minneapolis, Denver, Charolette but currently am back home in Idaho. I like that you say it's very transient there because any place I have been that is like that seems to be easier to meet people. I don't know anyone at all in the area and have no relatives there either. So would be great to meet new people. When I was in those other cities I used Meetups alot. It was a great thing!! Everyone is in the same boat and I think it is a bonding experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2013, 12:54 PM
 
5 posts, read 10,152 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1000 View Post
Hey! I'm 31, single woman, no kids as well. I hope to move by the end of the summer or early fall. Perhaps we could set up a meetup (meetup.com) for 30 something's.

Sue I will be moving the same time. If you want to meetup let me know. We will have something in common
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
76 posts, read 166,338 times
Reputation: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtoscottsdale12 View Post
Sue I will be moving the same time. If you want to meetup let me know. We will have something in common
Sounds good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2013, 11:32 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
52 posts, read 130,335 times
Reputation: 111
Tradition at Kierland, Legends at Kierland, and the Pillar at Scottsdale are good choices to start with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
Reputation: 29240
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1000 View Post
Hey! I'm 31, single woman, no kids as well. I hope to move by the end of the summer or early fall. Perhaps we could set up a meetup (meetup.com) for 30 something's.
You don't have to set one up. They already exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top