Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 AM
 
19 posts, read 36,973 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

I think I'm looking to move in this area mainly, when I was there I noticed that it was a bit more walkable than the other neighborhoods in Phoenix, and seemed to be located right near the light rail which is ideal since I won't have a car the first few months I'm there. I work from home, so commuting isn't a concern of mine. My question is, does anyone have any personal experience with the apartment buildings/complexes in this area? Are there any that you would recommend to a 20 something single lady whose main concern is being somewhere quiet/safe? I've been reading reviews for the apartment buildings online and coming across mostly negative reviews. I'm also having trouble finding a place with the amenities that I'm looking for. I'm not super picky, I was hoping to have a balcony, but its not mandatory. Hardwood floors, however, are mandatory. All I need is a 1br and I'm looking in the $650-$750 range. If you guys have any appropriate recommendations based on those facts, or could point me in the right direction to find this for myself, I'd greatly appreciate it. Is there a better site for looking for apartments in Phoenix than craigslist, rent.com and the obvious ones that have search options for every city/state? Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2013, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Metro Phoenix, AZ USA
17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Reputation: 10726
Mandatory hardwood floors? I don't claim to be an expert in the apts available in the area, but my guess is that hardwood floors are not at all common, and likely not in your price range.

Apartment review sites do need to be viewed with a grain of salt, as it's very easy for someone with an axe to grind to anonymously post whatever they like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM
 
19 posts, read 36,973 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Mandatory hardwood floors? I don't claim to be an expert in the apts available in the area, but my guess is that hardwood floors are not at all common, and likely not in your price range.

Apartment review sites do need to be viewed with a grain of salt, as it's very easy for someone with an axe to grind to anonymously post whatever they like.
actually, i have found a lot of apartments in that area that have hardwood floors, but were of the ones who had horrible reviews. if it were just a few bad reviews, i would be more apt to ignore it but i've been reading like 70% horrible reviews for certain buildings. which is why i'd like to actually ask some questions to someone who has any experience with the apartments in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
582 posts, read 1,481,656 times
Reputation: 994
Are you coming here soon so you can physically tour the various units? We are not a city full of older structures, so the ones you saw with hardwood floors may be older complexes.

There are lots of places in the area, and with a budget of around $750 you should be fine. You can stay in an extended stay furnished apartment in the area while you look for a place and that would run you near $750 a month.

Axes to grind usually come from management issues more than with the property itself, unless you're looking at a place with maintenance issues, and those should become apparent with a visual inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 01:30 PM
 
19 posts, read 36,973 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
Are you coming here soon so you can physically tour the various units? We are not a city full of older structures, so the ones you saw with hardwood floors may be older complexes.

There are lots of places in the area, and with a budget of around $750 you should be fine. You can stay in an extended stay furnished apartment in the area while you look for a place and that would run you near $750 a month.

Axes to grind usually come from management issues more than with the property itself, unless you're looking at a place with maintenance issues, and those should become apparent with a visual inspection.
Very true. I am! I'll only be there 3 days (one of them being a sunday, so I guess technically I'll only have 2 to actually do tours) so I wanted to have my ducks in a row so to speak and not even waste time with places that don't have the basic amenities that I'm looking for. I'm trying to get a list together of all the apartments that i want to view and do an application for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 01:33 PM
 
19 posts, read 36,973 times
Reputation: 20
Does anyone know anything about the downtown historic neighborhood/close to ASU? I've seen a lot of duplexes there that are quite charming, but was wondering if its close to the rail and also is it safe? The homes there have a lot of what I'm looking for, but are actually much cheaper than my budget, and I was wondering if that was indicative of how safe the area is/crime rate, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 PM
 
8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
Reputation: 7983
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxxxalove View Post
Does anyone know anything about the downtown historic neighborhood/close to ASU? I've seen a lot of duplexes there that are quite charming, but was wondering if its close to the rail and also is it safe? The homes there have a lot of what I'm looking for, but are actually much cheaper than my budget, and I was wondering if that was indicative of how safe the area is/crime rate, etc.
Its a charming neighborhood, keep in mind that with a historic district comes a slew of regulation regarding the building, the area isn't necessarily dangerous, however it isn't necessarily safe. Central Phoenix is interesting and this is why you need to visit, it will go from high end ritzy apartments, to shacks in a matter of minutes in any direction depending on your cross streets. It is hard to give a real recommendation as it is unknown what you consider dangerous versus safe. The area of Central City that extends north of I 10 tends to have nicer residential areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 03:33 PM
 
19 posts, read 36,973 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Its a charming neighborhood, keep in mind that with a historic district comes a slew of regulation regarding the building, the area isn't necessarily dangerous, however it isn't necessarily safe. Central Phoenix is interesting and this is why you need to visit, it will go from high end ritzy apartments, to shacks in a matter of minutes in any direction depending on your cross streets. It is hard to give a real recommendation as it is unknown what you consider dangerous versus safe. The area of Central City that extends north of I 10 tends to have nicer residential areas.
Thank you so much for your response. and point taken. I think it is like that with any major city too. I live in Chicago, so what I consider dangerous, I don't think will be a problem in Phoenix. Lol. As long as there isn't any gang activity in the area, or large amounts of drug addicts, I can manage. I just want somewhere where I don't have to look over my shoulder the whole time I'm walking my dog.

OR if I could find a neighborhood where there was a trader joes/sprouts/whole foods really close by, a dog park and maybe a few local bars and restaurants I could completely scrap the idea of Central Phoenix. Anyone know any neighborhoods that offer this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM
 
299 posts, read 545,335 times
Reputation: 322
There is a large apt complex across the street from the Phoenix VA, apts face Indian School (near 7th St). An employee I knew rented an apt there and liked it, was 3-5 yrs ago. Good location for taking public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 03:58 PM
 
19 posts, read 36,973 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity1944 View Post
There is a large apt complex across the street from the Phoenix VA, apts face Indian School (near 7th St). An employee I knew rented an apt there and liked it, was 3-5 yrs ago. Good location for taking public transportation.
thank you! do you happen to know the name of the complex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:39 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top