U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 06:50 AM

11 posts, read 20,260 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any reviews on this place. We are coming to Phoenix next month to scope it out a little prior to a possible move there next year and the wife wants to stay there. Also how far of a drive is it from the Phoenix/Mesa airport to Scottsdale?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 07:49 AM

2,377 posts, read 2,156,727 times
The Phoenician resort is in Scottsdale, right on the border of Scottsdale and Phoenix. It's less than a 20 minute drive to the airport from the resort.

The city of Scottsdale is miles and miles long. If you want to check out the area you'll need to rent a car.

Here's your directions.

Let me google that for you

Old 07-27-2013, 07:56 AM

4,201 posts, read 12,993,329 times
go to yelp.com and other similar sites for reviews....it is certainly considered to be one of the best in the country and if your wife has her heart set on it, she will probably love it....big, glitzy, plush....you may know it is a remnant of notorious Charles Keating's late 1980s savings and loan spending spree and he held nothing back in building a monument to himself with the Phoenician....he lost it, of course, during the S and L crisis a few years later....

when you say Phoenix/Mesa airport, do you mean what's also called the Gateway airport?....are you coming in via it?....if so, that is very much a secondary commercial field convenient to the east parts of the Phx area and is about 30+ miles from the Phoenician (which is really in Phoenix, technically)....Sky Harbor is the main Phx airport and is about seven miles from the Phoenician, but I know some airlines you may prefer serve Gateway only....

Old 07-27-2013, 08:01 AM

17,567 posts, read 23,293,809 times
Few people on the Phoenix board will have actually stayed at any Phoenix hotel as we have (had) homes in the area. However, I think everyone would agree that The Phoenician is one of the top resorts in town. Trip Advisor agrees: The Phoenician, Scottsdale (AZ) - Resort Reviews - TripAdvisor

If you are planning on looking more in the North Scottsdale area, I might suggest you consider Westin Kierland or the Four Seasons at Troon (I prefer the latter).

And yes, you absolutely need a car, but the drive from that small airport is easy.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 AM

10,720 posts, read 18,897,797 times
The Phoenician is a beautiful hotel. The reason it is popular is the sense of escapism it provides. It is not directly adjacent to any shopping or restaurants. Mind you, it is near shopping/dining but it doesn't border it meaning you will need a car to drive east or west on Camelback to access them. It's ideal for relaxation and getting away from it all. I think the food is very nice but nothing special.

To be honest, the Phoenician is nice but a little overrated. It's often discussed as our best hotel and I don't agree with that. I think the Sanctuary and the Montelucia are both nicer and really go out of their way to offer world class service (think Four Seasons level service). The Phoenician provides good service but not to the level of the Four Seasons where they try to make every little detail effortless.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:55 AM

582 posts, read 1,364,893 times
I assume you are flying Allegiant Air from a smaller town airport. The Gateway Airport is in far Southeast Mesa, and is about 25-30 miles from the Phoenician Resort, which is in Phoenix, but only a few blocks from the Scottsdale border.

Yes a rental car is essential in the Phoenix metro area.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 AM

17,567 posts, read 23,293,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
I assume you are flying Allegiant Air from a smaller town airport. The Gateway Airport is in far Southeast Mesa, and is about 25-30 miles from the Phoenician Resort, which is in Phoenix, but only a few blocks from the Scottsdale border.

Yes a rental car is essential in the Phoenix metro area.
Spirit Airlines also has flights at Gateway.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:47 PM

681 posts, read 1,448,724 times
Stayed for one night in January for our 10th wedding anniversary - I was honestly under-whelmed.

The pool area and spa are fantastic, room was just ok... and for close to $450/night I guess I was expecting a bit more. The food was decent, but not spectacular. The grounds are beautiful and the sunset from the lounge patio (and our balcony) was terrific. The golf course is top notch (if you're golfers) and we really enjoyed our round which we booked on golfnow for a reasonable price.

Had a few issues with the bill which took 1 front desk visit, 3 phone calls and 2 emails to resolve (including a CC to the GM). Only received a cursory apology until I filled out the SPG survey post-stay and then was credited enough SPG points for a free night and received a much more sincere apology from the GM.

I would agree with azriverfan that the hotel is over-rated and that the service is good - but certainly not world class.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:12 PM

3,609 posts, read 3,742,269 times
It is a nice hotel but there are better...just depends on your personal taste and where you want to base your exploration of the Valley. If you are planning on moving to the East Valley, this is a good base of operation. If you are interested in Glendale or the West Valley, you are going to be on the road quite a bit. Really up to you of course but I would agree that Sanctuary is a nice alternative. My favorite though is the Hyatt Gainey Ranch, but I am biased as I have a lot of great memories at that resort.

I have to disagree with JKGourmet though, respectfully. I know a LOT of PHX residents that take advantage of the area resorts' "StayCation" specials in the summer.

Last edited by KurtAZ; 07-29-2013 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 12:16 PM

9,092 posts, read 17,770,449 times
I agree with a lot of the sentiment here ........ it's a nice place and definitely worth checking out .... however, I would choose either the Sanctuary or Four Seasons Troon before it ...... the Four Seasons is fantastic, but a little more secluded and out of the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area