Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 02:02 AM

344 posts, read 813,159 times

Advertisements

Would like to see this work as Phoenix is sadly lacking in small town centers in which to wander as we're used to back east. It's mainly strip malls. Downtown Glendale's the only one that comes to mind in the general West side area.

Municipalities finally beginning to loosen the purse strings a little. Recently noticed more more paving/sealing going on in Glendale, Avondale, etc.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...evitalize.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:23 AM

278 posts, read 546,770 times
Nice! I have family who owns small Mexican restaurant in Tolleson. I really like it because there is a side walk! I park right in front and walk right in, no pulling in to a large lot. I hope this happens.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
I had to chuckle when I read this. I did not know Tolleson even had what anyone would call a downtown. And I have driven through that area quite a bit. You're right, the only city in the west valley that has much in that area is Glendale, because it is the only one that was around when downtowns were "in" and had a large enough population then to actually support one. Avondale has done something similar with the streets and trees in their 2-3 block downtown. Goodyear is apparently going to abandon theirs (which is hard to see anyway) in favor of building an entirely new one just off of Estrella Parkway. Anyway, more power to Tolleson. They have money coming in from the modern shopping and stores north of I10 to pay for this, I guess. It will be nicer than what's there I think, but not large enough to attract many to the area.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:34 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,480,223 times
I've been spending most of my weekends a few miles down the road in Avondale. There's nothing in downtown Tolleson to draw people from out of the area. My gut instinct tells me that the only city center type project that may work is what Avondale has planned for the area around Avondale Blvd and I-10. Start with a blank slate, build on top of farm fields and move your downtown from the old city center to something newer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area