U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:03 AM

86 posts, read 221,193 times

Advertisements

looking for some info and thoughts about having a swimming pool installed.Estimate cost medium sized pool with spa.Reputable pool company in area of Goodyear or phoenix area.We will be having a community pool,just some thoughts on total expense of owning own pool.Build,electric costs, water evaporation, etc.How long pool season would be roughly.Have never owned a pool,for me community pool sounds good its my other half that would be pushing to install a pool.As they say happy wife happy life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 11:39 AM

36,665 posts, read 46,912,825 times
You probably won't even notice electric on your bills if you run your pump off peak. The pool loses a quarter inch of water or so a day in summer but water is only a couple bucks per thousand gallons and compared to the irrigation water you use, a pool is not that big a deal.

Swim season goes from about May-early October. It can be longer or shorter depending on your tolerance for cold water. But also, at the edges, the air is cool and dry and it can be uncomfortable swimming when you get out. And, you get sick of it.

If you have young kids or entertain, you will get a lot of use from the pool, but for most of us it is not much more than a landscaping feature. But, it is a HUGE landscaping feature and really makes the backyard outdoor space. Without a pool, the backyard is just a wasteland of rock and weird plants that no one really uses much. The pool is eye candy that draws you into that space.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 AM

6,066 posts, read 7,400,211 times
We love our pool/spa combo. I personally despise community pools. We use the spa year round, and although the pool is heated we tend not to use it outside of the April - October season. We're spoiled now and anything under 85 seems cold. I have no issues with the utility costs, even though we apparently have gold infused water in Anthem. The exception is gas to heat the water, which is why we don't usually heat the pool. The desire to use it does wane in the fall. Someone else here once said year round swimming is a snowbird pipe dream. I do agree with that, but a steamy spa on a chilly night is pretty cool. Pun intended.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:53 AM

1,538 posts, read 3,376,538 times
Unfortunately the cost to build far exceeds any added value to your home. However, I LOVE having my own pool and if done right, the costs are minimal.
Without any heating system, you can expect the comfortable swim season to be roughly to be from mid May until late September. I installed a home made solar heater and it works great. My swim season is from about mid March until mid November. I'm pretty happy about that.
When the humidity is low, you can expect to lose up to 1/2 inch of water per day. My pool is approximately 24,000 gallons and my water bill during the summer is usually about $50.00 to $60.00.
My electricity for the pool is about $40.00 per month and I spend about $30.00 per month on pool chemicals to keep the water clear.
You can hire a pool guy to watch your pool but it's much more effective and easy if you do it yourself. It takes a little bit of self education but it's well worth the effort. I use my pool several time a day.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:56 AM
YAZ

7,325 posts, read 13,154,586 times
Yep, and I've noticed that even during the non-swimming season we tend to hang out by the pool. Our patio is the "living room."

Some might chime in and complain about the costs of chemicals. If you're doing it right, it's a non-issue.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 PM

6,066 posts, read 7,400,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Unfortunately the cost to build far exceeds any added value to your home. However, I LOVE having my own pool and if done right, the costs are minimal.
Without any heating system, you can expect the comfortable swim season to be roughly to be from mid May until late September. I installed a home made solar heater and it works great. My swim season is from about mid March until mid November. I'm pretty happy about that.
When the humidity is low, you can expect to lose up to 1/2 inch of water per day. My pool is approximately 24,000 gallons and my water bill during the summer is usually about $50.00 to $60.00.
My electricity for the pool is about $40.00 per month and I spend about $30.00 per month on pool chemicals to keep the water clear.
You can hire a pool guy to watch your pool but it's much more effective and easy if you do it yourself. It takes a little bit of self education but it's well worth the effort. I use my pool several time a day.
I'm with you, I prefer doing my own maintenance. Brushing the pool gives me some good "quiet time" year round, and in the warmer months I do it from in the pool.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:53 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,428,790 times
Don't get a pool if you're doing it for an investment as you'll never recoup your money. We got a pool just for the enjoyment it provides and gives us a reason to be outside even when it is hot. We get a ton of use out of ours, mostly just soaking during the hot days, enjoying a cocktail while looking at the pool in the winter, etc.

Ponderosa covered the basics of cost so I won't go into that but will say you'll get much more use out of it then you will the community pool. We live in Goodyear and specifically purchased our home in a development with a community pool. We used it twice and were so disgusted with the place and the rude people using it that we never went back. We decided we wanted our own pool and had one installed by Presidential Pools.

I do all the maintenance myself and it only takes 15-30 minutes a week at the most to stay on top of things. It's when you let it get away from you that it becomes a pain.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:34 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,161,352 times
Have to agree...with the new pumps you are probably looking at an additional $20 in electricity. I drain my pool every other year to keep the mineral content down...total cost to refill it: $25 or so. Chemicals...we have TONS of kids in it during the summer so shock and chlorine is all I have had to add...maybe some PhosFree every other week. Just figure that for about $40k to build, you too can have a wonderful backyard get away that adds $0 to your home value.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:43 PM

269 posts, read 486,335 times
Cost to build a pools with spa would start at $40K and go up quickly when you add extras like decking, lights, water features, etc. You can get a basic play pool for around $25 but when you add the spa, you need extra plumbing, heater, etc and you will be $40K at minimum. Start adding decking at about $8-10 sf, water features, extra or LED lights, in-floor cleaning, and you are over $50K quickly. Cost to run is not that much. The new variable speed pumps run on very little power (mine runs at 10% for most of the day and 100% for 4 hours to clean). Maintenance is just a few minutes a day if you get an in-floor cleaning system. Many say they don't work, but they most likely don't have one. I put one in mine and it's not perfect but with all the wind and what not, I haven't had to vacuum once yet (pool finished beginning of April). I added a swim-up bar to mine but no spa and so far, it is the highlight of the backyard. Also added a heat pump that heats and cools. Haven't had to use the heater since we first put the pool in but the cooler is pretty cool. Really nice to sit at the swim up bar with cold water blowing on your feet. Chemicals are a pain but if you just follow regular testing and dosing, it's not really a problem. I go through about just under 1/2 gallon of liquid chlorine a day and about a gallon of acid every 3 weeks or so. That's all the chemicals you need for routine maintenance. Pool store will try to sell you all sorts of clarifiers, phosphate removers, etc, but they are totally not needed. My chemical costs are about $50 per month mid summer, will be much less in winter due to much lower chemical demand. You can get by cheaper with chlorine pucks, but that will require you to change water much more often as the stabilizer increases and requires higher level of chorine.

As far as value, you will never get increase in value for what you pay to put in a pool. A basic pool will add about $10K to your appraisal, a bit more with a spa. You have to use it to get your value out of it.

We've lived here for 8 years. First 7 were in a home that already had a pool when we bought. We moved to a new house without a pool and after one summer, decided we had to put one in. It's been much nicer this summer with the pool.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 PM

86 posts, read 221,193 times
Thank you all for your great input.Enjoy your pools this summer!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area