Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 06:18 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

If anyone remembers this past winter, there was a news report about many heat pump systems struggling in the record cold, cycling between heating and defrost mode.

In Virginia Beach, Virginia, my aunt has a heat pump system at her house, however, it has one thing I have very rarely (if ever) seen in systems here in the Valley: auxiliary heating strips in the air handler.

This past winter, such a setup would have been very useful for many, since during a defrost cycle those heating strips could be energized to warm up the cold air entering the house. If gas service is available, ideally the best setup would be to have a gas furnace as the auxiliary heat source, thus creating a hybrid dual-fuel system (even though most tract home builders seem to offer gas heat as standard wherever gas service is available).

So, why don't most heat pump systems here in the Valley come equipped with auxiliary heat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:16 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
My last house had heat strips. They sucked a tremendous amount of current ($) so I turned them off. Never missed them.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:29 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
My last house had heat strips. They sucked a tremendous amount of current ($) so I turned them off. Never missed them.
Did it have heat strips alone, or as an auxiliary heat source for a heat pump?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Did it have heat strips alone, or as an auxiliary heat source for a heat pump?
Heat pump. They came on when outside temps were below freezing. There was a light on the thermostat that lit up when they were on. The unit still went into defrost mode and the air was warmer than it is with my current unit, but still noticeably cool. This was the only house I have owned here that had them. Maybe the original purchaser had spec'd them. As far as I am concerned they are totally unnecessary in our climate. If I had the option, I would have gas heat and an ac unit, but gas was not available in much of the metro for many years. I guess it is more widely available in new developments these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area