Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 PM

214 posts, read 646,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
The Smitty's store at 16th and Buckeye became a Food City after Smitty's ceased to exist. The Food City store there is now closed as part of the Bashas bankruptcy deal. I work at Honeywell at the airport and I drive by that corner at least once a week on my way to Carolina's mexican food. Everything on that SW corner is closed and empty now.
I remember when there was only one Food City, the one that is still there at 16th st and Mohave. A couple of things I remember well about that store is the Coke machines at the front of the store that would drop the cup, then the ice and then the coke would come down into the cup...and it was only 5 cents. Also, upstairs they had a clothing department.

Ah yes, Carolina's Mexican restaurant...very good food there. That place is packed during lunch time. From the looks of the place you wouldn't think the food would be so good, and it's not really on a main street either. (12th st and Mohave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 12:44 PM

214 posts, read 646,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cavender View Post
any former Reynolds Metals employee out there? I lived in Phoenix for a few years in the late 70's early 80's, and worked are Reynolds Metals, made a lot of very good friends that I would like to reconnect with.
Were they at 19th ave and the railroad tracks? If so, we used to take scrap metal there to sell...I always enjoyed watching that huge magnet. My dad would load up a bunch of scrap in the bed of his pick up and the magnet would pull it right out of the bed...bounced the truck up and down a little bit too.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:11 PM

283 posts, read 880,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cavender View Post
any former Reynolds Metals employee out there? I lived in Phoenix for a few years in the late 70's early 80's, and worked are Reynolds Metals, made a lot of very good friends that I would like to reconnect with.
What was the big aluminum plant out at 35th Ave and Buckeye or Van Buren?

Old 04-02-2010, 03:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
I remember when there was only one Food City, the one that is still there at 16th st and Mohave. A couple of things I remember well about that store is the Coke machines at the front of the store that would drop the cup, then the ice and then the coke would come down into the cup...and it was only 5 cents. Also, upstairs they had a clothing department.

Ah yes, Carolina's Mexican restaurant...very good food there. That place is packed during lunch time. From the looks of the place you wouldn't think the food would be so good, and it's not really on a main street either. (12th st and Mohave.
OMG: I have not seen such a style soda pop dispenser in probably 20-30 years now.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:53 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
OMG: I have not seen such a style soda pop dispenser in probably 20-30 years now.
There was one of these dispenser vending machines in the Paramount lobby back in the 50's. We used to stand there and watch people as the cup would come down, fall over, and the drink would run all over the place. I think the machine was called SuperVend.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:50 PM

7,167 posts, read 9,221,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
What was the big aluminum plant out at 35th Ave and Buckeye or Van Buren?
I think that was the Reynolds plant. They went from 35th & Van Buren to I think 39th & the tracks.

Last edited by locolobo13; 04-02-2010 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: edited because I can't count!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:58 PM

7,167 posts, read 9,221,440 times
I think somewhere in this thread there was a link that to a site that had a picture of Reynolds Aluminum. But I don't have time to find it right now.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:12 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
The Reynolds plant was on the southwest corner of 35th and Van Buren. The area to the south and west was all farms, plus a few to the east. It was built about 1946, the main building was a mile long and had a saw toothed roof with glass that let in light. Behind the plant was the water tank and smokestack, probably an incinerator. In front there were about 9 smaller buildings with large vent stacks on the roofs. I remember a public swimming pool on the southeast corner surrounded by trees. The old Aero Theater with a real airplane wing stuck upright in the ground was about 3 blocks east. Up 35th Avenue there was another theater called the Arizona Theater that lasted only about 3 years.

Last edited by roosevelt; 04-02-2010 at 05:45 PM..

Old 04-03-2010, 12:32 PM

38 posts, read 71,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The Reynolds plant was on the southwest corner of 35th and Van Buren. The area to the south and west was all farms, plus a few to the east. It was built about 1946, the main building was a mile long and had a saw toothed roof with glass that let in light. Behind the plant was the water tank and smokestack, probably an incinerator. In front there were about 9 smaller buildings with large vent stacks on the roofs. I remember a public swimming pool on the southeast corner surrounded by trees. The old Aero Theater with a real airplane wing stuck upright in the ground was about 3 blocks east. Up 35th Avenue there was another theater called the Arizona Theater that lasted only about 3 years.
Is that the one that made the air stink so bad? I remember when I was a kid, going from Mesa to Phoenix where you'd get onto the Black Canyon, man it stand bad. I also heard that may have been a Phelps copper making all that stink?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:10 PM

966 posts, read 1,344,978 times
the Reynolds plant was built during WWII. Part of it was saved from the wrecking ball and is still in use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area