Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 02:11 PM

24,171 posts, read 13,016,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post
In response to overwhelming demand, I hasten to give the answers: Diablo was the Pinto under Duncan Renaldo as Cisco. Loco was the big, beautiful Palomino under Leo Carillo as Pancho.
So my friend's Pomeranians were named after something meaningful. His family also had a cat named Chiquita... was that a character in The Cisco Kid as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 04:52 PM

283 posts, read 875,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
There was a 25 pound block of ice machine on 7th and Moreland in the 40's, it cost 10 cents. The ice block would come shooting out through a burlap flap. Anyway, grandpa put in his 10 cents and two blocks of ice came out; he actually wanted to take the extra block of ice to Grand and Polk streets where the ice house was. Took us a while to talk him out of it; it was a Sunday too; that was early days honesty!
There was one of those ice block machines in Mesa in the 50's near Main and Mesa Drive. If I recall correctly, it was the size of a delivery truck box. My parents were big on camping with us kids and we always stopped to get ice for our ice chests.

There was also a big crystal ice house on Broadway in Mesa just west of Country Club Dr. located by the railroad tracks among all the packing sheds. They needed the ice to keep all the rail cars cool that shipped cantaloupes, watermelons and honeydews across the country. The ice house walls were a couple of feet thick and packed with sawdust for insulation. Burned down several years ago and made for a hell of a fire with all the sawdust.

A couple of years ago while traveling around New Mexico, I tried to buy a block of ice in several large towns and they looked at me like I had 2 heads. Everybody had bags of cubes, but no blocks. Finally found some at a Circle K in Roswell.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:58 PM

124 posts, read 316,772 times
Rudolph/Lou Grubb/Chevrolet, 27th+Camelback Rd. Phoenix
I bought my second car here but it was my first brand spanking new car. It was a 1968 Camaro that I drove for 13 years. I believe the dealership was still called Rudolph Chevrolet with Lou Grubb as the general manager. I remember that he was very attentive regarding questions that my dad had about the car. I loved the car dearly but I got a lot of speeding tickets my first year until I learned how to keep from speeding. The car just seemed to want to go at least 70 mph even up steep hills like on the I-17 to Flagstaff. Great car, great fun and the dealership took good care of us over the years.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learicalAZ View Post
Agua Fria Freddie?

happy agua fria freddie day - trail talk - TheBackpacker.com

(and here I thought A.F. Freddie was a Gila Monster!)
Wow, this sure isn't anything like I remembered. Did the weatherman have a rattlesnake on the show? I don't mean a real one, of course. I always though he was forcasting when the monsoon season began. Oh well, so much for memories. Thanks much, the "real" story is very interesting.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:26 PM

220 posts, read 651,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
Rudolph/Lou Grubb/Chevrolet, 27th+Camelback Rd. Phoenix
I bought my second car here but it was my first brand spanking new car. It was a 1968 Camaro that I drove for 13 years. I believe the dealership was still called Rudolph Chevrolet with Lou Grubb as the general manager. I remember that he was very attentive regarding questions that my dad had about the car. I loved the car dearly but I got a lot of speeding tickets my first year until I learned how to keep from speeding. The car just seemed to want to go at least 70 mph even up steep hills like on the I-17 to Flagstaff. Great car, great fun and the dealership took good care of us over the years.
I believe the dealership was initially Quebedeaux Chevrolet.... When it changed to Rudolph Chevrolet, in 1962 I bought my first brand new car there from Lou Grubb who was the general sales manager. The dealership then was downtown Phoenix. At the bank where I worked, we had the Continuing Guarantee for the dealership and we were able to buy the cars at $100 over the ticket price...and I believe I paid just about $3,000 for that 1963 Chevy Nova II. Lou Grubb was a fantastic man. I bought many Chevys from Lou Grubb Chevrolet over the years.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsJohnson View Post
I remember the ice vending place by the fair grounds. The freeway may run across the location now. Was it on Spruce St.? My Dad and I would go there to get a big block of ice to make ice cream. We had to chip it with an ice pick. He put the block in a metal baby bath tub and wrapped it with burlap. I think the place was Crystal Ice.
Gawd!!! I haven't thought about that Crystal Ice company in years and years. It burned down as I recall and I don't think they rebuilt it. It was there for so long and we loved their ice the most because it was, indeed, crystal clear and made drinks with their ice in them look so pretty. It was west of the fairgrounds (19th Ave) on McDowell and near the train tracks. Great memory, thanks.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
I believe the dealership was initially Quebedeaux Chevrolet.... When it changed to Rudolph Chevrolet, in 1962 I bought my first brand new car there from Lou Grubb who was the general sales manager. The dealership then was downtown Phoenix. At the bank where I worked, we had the Continuing Guarantee for the dealership and we were able to buy the cars at $100 over the ticket price...and I believe I paid just about $3,000 for that 1963 Chevy Nova II. Lou Grubb was a fantastic man. I bought many Chevys from Lou Grubb Chevrolet over the years.
I don't recall the name Quebedeaux but I only paid $3,400 for my new Camaro in 1968 (had only 11 miles on it). It's amazing how prices have risen since then.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:55 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,581,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
Gawd!!! I haven't thought about that Crystal Ice company in years and years. It burned down as I recall and I don't think they rebuilt it. It was there for so long and we loved their ice the most because it was, indeed, crystal clear and made drinks with their ice in them look so pretty. It was west of the fairgrounds (19th Ave) on McDowell and near the train tracks. Great memory, thanks.
I have a photo of the Crystal Ice Co. and tried to post it but it seems I already did that before and no matter how many times I rename the image, the forum will not let me post it; are they able to tell from the pixels it is a duplicate image?
OK, figured out how to do it:
Click image for larger version

Name:	crystal ice.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	82138

About the 40's and ice trucks. We kids used to jump on the back after the driver got back inside the truck and continued down the alley; we would sit back there sucking ice until he stopped again and jump off, it was a wonder we didn't fall off.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I have a photo of the Crystal Ice Co. and tried to post it but it seems I already did that before and no matter how many times I rename the image, the forum will not let me post it; are they able to tell from the pixels it is a duplicate image?
OK, figured out how to do it:
Attachment 82138

About the 40's and ice trucks. We kids used to jump on the back after the driver got back inside the truck and continued down the alley; we would sit back there sucking ice until he stopped again and jump off, it was a wonder we didn't fall off.
I wondered why I didn't see an image. Glad you figured it out. Is the photo of the one on McDowell near the fairgrounds? I remember it set back away from the street but the 40s is a bit before my time. Things could have changed by the time I remember it.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
What famous Valley resident served at Maricopa County Sherriff from 1907-1912? Here is his pic...
Carl Hayden was handsome as a young man. I only saw him as a very old man and, at that time, it never occurred to me that he was once young. lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area