Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2012, 08:25 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wendell View Post
I do not remember the bbq place but I do remember going bowling at the bowling alley (west side of Central). I think it became a thrift store and probably still is. Does anyone remeber the one indoor theatre on South Central West side of Central)? I cannot remember the name but maybe I can dig around and find a 1959 phone book I have. The theatre became a Salvation Army store and might still be one. There was also a skating rink that later became a thrift store but the building eventually burned down (East side of Central). My wife went there as a little kid.
We moved to southside in '61 and I don't remember a theater but then I was pretty young...I started going to the Fox/Paramount on the bus in about '63-64...I remember the Salvation Army in '67 as my dad was horrified that I purchased and army jacket there. I remember the skating rink up by Roser/Broadway area on Central...went there a couple of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 12:03 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
I do not remember the bbq place but I do remember going bowling at the bowling alley (west side of Central). I think it became a thrift store and probably still is. Does anyone remember the one indoor theater on South Central West side of Central)? I cannot remember the name but maybe I can dig around and find a 1959 phone book I have. The theater became a Salvation Army store and might still be one. There was also a skating rink that later became a thrift store but the building eventually burned down (East side of Central). My wife went there as a little kid.
There was a Rio Theater about 4000 South Central.
Southern Bowling Lanes about 5600 S. Central.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM

93 posts, read 253,808 times
Rio was the theatre. How amazing that Roosevelt has so much information and pictures too! Thank You. There was in indoor theatre in Sunnyslope also. It was on Dunlap between 7th St. and Central Ave. I think it ended up a shoe store or furniture store.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:49 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
Rio was the theatre. How amazing that Roosevelt has so much information and pictures too! Thank You. There was in indoor theatre in Sunnyslope also. It was on Dunlap between 7th St. and Central Ave. I think it ended up a shoe store or furniture store.
That was the Pix Theater, it was also a clothing store. Located about 6th Street and Dunlap.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:22 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
We lived about halfway between those two places on Central Ave.. My sister and I went to that theatre nearly every Sat.. Last time I was in So. Phx. the old bowling alley was a thrift store. Likewise there was a BIG thrift store on the property my grandparents house was on. I think it's a cabinet company now.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Definitely remember Southern Lanes...bowled my first game there and it was quite a hangout when I was in high school.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 AM

93 posts, read 253,808 times
Who remembers the Riverside Ball Room. It was just South of the Salt River bed and on the East side of Central Avenue. We never went there but if I remember it had a pool and was rather classy. Later it became a place for different bands such as Bob Fite and his group (I cannot remember the group name, something like the Western Playboys maybe). When we would go by it I always would have liked to go but in those days we could not afford much of anything.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Who remembers the Riverside Ball Room. It was just South of the Salt River bed and on the East side of Central Avenue. We never went there but if I remember it had a pool and was rather classy. Later it became a place for different bands such as Bob Fite and his group (I cannot remember the group name, something like the Western Playboys maybe). When we would go by it I always would have liked to go but in those days we could not afford much of anything.
I went in one time in '68...I'm sure I was too young to appreciate it...it was just fun to get inside as I was only 15. Another one of those '60's experiences.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:59 PM

285 posts, read 904,913 times
Quote:
Bob Fite and the Western Playboys it was!

Arizona Stories

Old 01-14-2012, 10:57 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
I remember it. My aunts and uncles went there a LOT 'back in the day'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area