Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 01:17 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,616,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adansby3322 View Post
I grew up at 35th Avenue and Bethany Home Road ... I remember Az. Music Center, Farrell's Icecream Parlor at Christown Mall, King's Table Restaurant, Smitty's , Fedmart, Skagg's Drugstore, Funny Fellow's Restaurant
Wow. I remember that ice creram parlor at Christown now. I had not thought of it recently until this post. I remember buying toys at Skagg's in early childhood. It had "Yosemite Sam" in the TV commercial.
You may also recall "Big Apple" restaurants.

Or there was this place...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tYk9adeCFM...tory_1960s.jpg

Every time I hear that song "Baker Street" I get immediate flashbacks of Scottsdale in 1978. I remembering seeing the film "Grease" at Cine Capri, and it a hot summer day. We got snow cones in Scottsdale and remember that song "Baker Street" playing on the old AM radios of the day. I still think of that day every time I hear that song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 04:27 PM

811 posts, read 614,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I was born and raised in rural Arizona and spent many weekend trips in Phoenix. I also went to ASU back in the 90s. I moved to Florida for over 13 years but recently returned. I love being home. Everything "old" is "new" again.

I remember Phoenix in the 70s of early childhood. My cousin went to a school in Peoria. I remember it took a long time to get to the northwest side because there was no 101/202. We had to go on main st. in Apache Junction and gradually work our way to McDowell Road to get to Central Phoenix. Then from there we had to go through more streets and avenues to get to Peoria. It was long compared to now.

I now live in Scottsdale. I miss Los Arcos Mall and Smitty's (lol). I also remember going to the old Kachina Theater and the old Cine Capri where I saw Star Wars as a child in 77. I remember there used to be many Drive-In theaters and remember seeing one of the "Billy Jack" sequels near Los Arcos Mall somewhere near what is now "Papago Park". I saw "Godzilla" at a Drive-In somewhere in Mesa. I went to a HS graduation at Phoenix Indian HS back in the early 70s in Central Phoenix. It used to have a rivalry with "St. John's Indian HS" south of Phoenix when I was an infant. But both have since closed.

Tri-City Mall was a fun place to eat brunch on Saturdays when coming in from Globe. The "Poncho's Buffet" in Los Arcos Mall was excellent back in the early 80s. I went to ASU Frank Kush games as early as 1974 when Danny White was playing. There was no "ASU East" or "ASU West" or "ASU Online" or "ASU/Mayo Clinic". I remember "Wallace and Ladmo" at the AZ State Fair back in 1982. They were hilarious live with Gerald.
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/d88...e-losarcos.jpg

Phoenix has grown tremendously. I work in North Scottsdale which used to be mostly quail and coyote country back in the 70s. One classic film made in 1979 in Mesa/Tempe was "Used Cars". I remember driving by the set with family as a young child. The film comedy centered upon the projected future growth of the freeway system of Phoenix. Two auto dealerships were battling for marketing leverage and customers near one of the projected freeway exits. It was hilarious and starred a young Kurt Russell (post-Disney era). One scene shows outskirts of Phoenix that have since become populated. The 1985 teen comedy "Just One of the Guys" was made in Phoenix and had scenes by McDowell Rd with the familiar caves and "Big Surf" of the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWUXyw9rDmw

I remember the "Ladmo Bag" back in the day - lol. I went to Legend City in 1981.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZZnlsz6L2s

I also remember Phoenix in the 1990s. While at ASU, I drove in many times from Glendale and 202 ended at Priest St heading east to ASU. There was no 101. In northwest Phoenix, I often went hiking north of Beardsley or went jogging near one of the canals by Thunderbird Road west of "ASU West" (lol). Arrowhead mall was in the early stages of being built back then. Now the area has the "Final Four" - lol. Phoenix has grown. I remember when the now deceased Pat Tillman's defense stopped #1 Nebraska in 1996. ASU students carried the goal post towards Mill Ave. RIP Tillman.

One of these days east Phoenix will stretch into Superior - perhaps by the end of the century at this rate.
Drive-In in Scottsdale that you mentioned was The Round-Up.

Used Cars: HILARIOUS!
That one and Raising Arizona are family favs.

Speaking of sentimental: I have a chance to purchase my childhood home in Tempe. The problem is that it's been completely redone and looks nothing like I remember so what's the point? It would cost $75k to remodel it back to '60's ugly and that would knock the value down $50k. $125k bath to reminisce? I'll pass.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:44 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,453,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Drive-In in Scottsdale that you mentioned was The Round-Up.

I miss the Neon Cowboy.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:59 PM

8,020 posts, read 12,165,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
One classic film made in 1979 in Mesa/Tempe was "Used Cars". I remember driving by the set with family as a young child. The film comedy centered upon the projected future growth of the freeway system of Phoenix. Two auto dealerships were battling for marketing leverage and customers near one of the projected freeway exits. It was hilarious and starred a young Kurt Russell (post-Disney era). One scene shows outskirts of Phoenix that have since become populated.
I remember that movie. The funny thing was they never mentioned exactly where it was supposed to be. It was filmed in and around Mesa, and it was assumed that the movie plot took place in Arizona, but one of the advertisements back then showed Kurt Russell and Deborah Harmon on a car with a California license plate. The scenes could have just as well been in either state.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:15 AM

7,064 posts, read 9,102,969 times
I was in college when they made "Used Cars". A couple of friends got their cars in the movie. I think they were paid as extras.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:49 PM

24,171 posts, read 13,016,858 times
Don't forget "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure". Metrocenter, Golfland in Mesa, the Fair Lanes in Tempe (Rural and what was the AZ 360, now US 60) stood in for San Dimas; my crosstown rival Coronado HS in Scottsdale (0:15) was San Dimas High. Also the Circle K at Southern and Hardy, where strange things were afoot (0:20).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFy17auuK08

Old 04-06-2017, 10:48 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,453,656 times
Also the Albert Brooks comedy "Real Life", filmed all around Phoenix. I think it's on Netflix now.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
my grandmother margarette eaton, used to teach there. i'll have to ask my dad if he know exactly when it was.
Was your grandmother a counselor in Reception or in one of the Cottages

Old 04-17-2017, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,221 times
Come join me in my Facebook group as we venture through time, straight into good ol' days of Phoenix's awesome past. Help me share your memories and let's keep the Valley of the sun alive.

[url]www.facebook.com/groups/MetroPhoenixMemories[/url]

Old 04-17-2017, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,219 times
Bob's had car hops on roller skates in the 1950's. We used to go to our high school foot ball games, Glendale Cardinal High, and then drive over to Phoenix to Bob's for a burger and a malt. The drive in to Bob's parking was 4 lanes and was full of hot cars on Friday nights after games. We would go cruz'in central after leaving Bob's. There was no other drive in like Bob's in the valley. The carnation restaurant was great also but was more of a family place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area