Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2021, 03:20 PM

12 posts, read 26,299 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have an idea what was in - or better yet, the actual recipe for - the cottage cheese relish they used to serve pre-meal at the Beef Eater's restaurant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 02:02 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,616,276 times
I was born and raised in rural AZ. I remember the construction of freeways that began decades ago. In the 1970s, there was no Superstition Freeway or 202. To get from Apache Junction to Glendale the route was generally to go on Main St. through Mesa with all the stop lights then eventually head north towards Chris Town Mall and take a hard left down Thomas or McDowell to get to Central Phoenix. Then one had to navigate through the streets to get to Glendale.

In the 1990s the construction of loop 202 began. I recall when it ended at Priest St. coming from Glendale to Tempe. Eventually it was finished and now connects with US 60 in northeastern type of loop toward. Going north and west, the 101 was gradually constructed and finished in "version 1" by the early 2000s.

AN ARIZONAN'S CONCERN:

Why didn't the civil engineers and city architects back in the 1990s make enough room the first time for planned widening? There is a ridiculous amount of construction going on at the North 101 around Tatum Blvd. towards I-17. Many times, exits are closed. Traffic jams occur with detours going through Union Hills, etc. This is crazy. Those engineers should have planned ahead to make it wide enough the first time when it was built in the 1990s to the early 2000s. I don't get it. They had many years to think this through. I know for a fact AutoCAD existed in the early 90s because I used it. I am a mechanical engineer. I guess they weren't that good at civil engineering design - wasted a lot of the city's money. But as a quality engineer with decades of experience, I know engineers make mistakes all the time. A big one occurred in the understimated WIDTH needed for the north portion of loop 101 by some incompetent engineers back in the day. Go figure.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:02 AM

7,064 posts, read 9,102,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I was born and raised in rural AZ. I remember the construction of freeways that began decades ago. In the 1970s, there was no Superstition Freeway or 202. To get from Apache Junction to Glendale the route was generally to go on Main St. through Mesa with all the stop lights then eventually head north towards Chris Town Mall and take a hard left down Thomas or McDowell to get to Central Phoenix. Then one had to navigate through the streets to get to Glendale.

In the 1990s the construction of loop 202 began. I recall when it ended at Priest St. coming from Glendale to Tempe. Eventually it was finished and now connects with US 60 in northeastern type of loop toward. Going north and west, the 101 was gradually constructed and finished in "version 1" by the early 2000s.

AN ARIZONAN'S CONCERN:

Why didn't the civil engineers and city architects back in the 1990s make enough room the first time for planned widening? There is a ridiculous amount of construction going on at the North 101 around Tatum Blvd. towards I-17. Many times, exits are closed. Traffic jams occur with detours going through Union Hills, etc. This is crazy. Those engineers should have planned ahead to make it wide enough the first time when it was built in the 1990s to the early 2000s. I don't get it. They had many years to think this through. I know for a fact AutoCAD existed in the early 90s because I used it. I am a mechanical engineer. I guess they weren't that good at civil engineering design - wasted a lot of the city's money. But as a quality engineer with decades of experience, I know engineers make mistakes all the time. A big one occurred in the understimated WIDTH needed for the north portion of loop 101 by some incompetent engineers back in the day. Go figure.
In the 70s heading east from Phx we would take Baseline Rd to Power Rd. Then north to the Apache Trail in AJ.

As to the last question? The simple answer is money. Everybody wants somebody else to pay it.

Old 03-20-2021, 09:29 AM

38 posts, read 71,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post

AN ARIZONAN'S CONCERN:

Born and raised in Arizona. I moved to the Seattle area about 20 years ago, unfortunately.

My grandmother worked for ADOT, she was one of the designers for "The Stack" interchange. When I was just the youngest of young kid, I visited her in the office where she was using some kind of early CAD program, it looked like she was working on design details for a column. The CRT display was monochrome, and the computer used a weird kind of mouse. I don't remember much else, I was very young.

Now I work for SDOT here in Seattle. If you want to see maddening waste of money, indifferent project planning and really effed infrastructure, please come visit Seattle!
We visit Arizona frequently, and we are always so impressed with how well sorted the roads and freeways are in AZ. Everything is maintained, none of the traffic signals are hanging from cables, I rarely encounter potholes, you guys have actual sidewalks everywhere, good street lighting, I can see the AZ tax money going to good use.
Here in WA state, we have even higher taxes, crazy roads with worn out paint markings, lack of proper sidewalks, most of our roadways are unlit, our traffic signals hang from cables instead of metal arms, and they only "improve" roadways here when the Feds insist.

As AZ turns more purple/blue, you may see even more of what we have here in WA. If you think AZ is bad now, just wait!

Old 03-26-2021, 08:59 AM

65 posts, read 109,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
In the 70s heading east from Phx we would take Baseline Rd to Power Rd. Then north to the Apache Trail in AJ.

Yeah, our family arrived in the early 80s, and I remember that trips to East Mesa, Apache Junction (swap meets!) and the Superstition Mountains for a long time involved getting off at Power Road and shifting to Apache. Indeed, it was relatively late in the 80s when that finally connected.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:57 AM

12 posts, read 26,299 times
I remember when, A.) I-10 ended at Dysart Road. The only place literally from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean that I-10 wasn't continuous, was Phoenix. B.) When traveling from the south to Phoenix on I-10, You would come up to the small town of Ahwatukee, then you'd have a few more miles of desert, then you would hit metropolitan Phoenix. C.) Wallace and Ladmo talking about taking a "road trip" out of town to the small little town of Chandler. and finally D.) going to Lake Pleasant seemed almost as far "from town" as going to Payson.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:05 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,706,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There's a house there, yes, but not the same house that was there then.
These seem to suggest otherwise.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/origin...be03cc05c.html

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts...hoenix-7947095

Old 03-31-2021, 12:02 PM

894 posts, read 2,189,558 times
I was born in Arizona. Started life out in Prescott, then moved to rural Buckeye in the 1st Grade, in 1992. Left in 2004 for the Military. Moved back in 2010 after I got out, and holy smokes had Buckeye changed! Tract homes as far as the eye could see. Moved back to Prescott in 2013. It was a little bigger than it was when I had left in 1992 from what I could remember, but still had the small town Atmosphere, UNTIL the Californian's started flooding in around 2016. Just left last month for Alaska. I miss the old Arizona.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:55 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,916,633 times
Does anyone know when the Pugh House (362 N 2nd Ave) was last occupied?

Old 05-04-2021, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,054 times
My uncle had a construction company in the mid 80s and his workdays started at 2am to beat the summer heat. Being that I grew up in the upper mid-west his stories always fascinated me and is a huge reason why I’m moving to Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area