Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2021, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,725 times

Advertisements

My FIRST post to this forum...
Born in PHX at St. Josephs hospital in 1957...Lived here all my life, graduated from Central High and attended ASU.
Fond memory of going to the AZ State fair with my older brother. Back then you could get into the fair with a dime, and a toy to donate to "Toys for Tots". One year we decided to walk home after the fair and we slid down the dirt embankment of what was the new Black Canyon Highway! After we crossed over a State Highway Patrolman stopped and gave us a ride in his police car all the way to Maryvale. Later in life I actually became a DPS officer and never forgot that guy.

Growing up here was the best and I stay close to several friends I had growing up in the Madison school district...Look forward to reading your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2021, 03:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,107 times
Default 1972 Tornado & Flood - Scottsdale

This is MY first post. Hi everyone. I am a native of Phoenix. I was born at Doctor's Hospital in January 1966.

Does anyone remember the tornado and flood we had at 66th Street & Shea in 1972? It was North Scottsdale back then.

They both happened the same night. We had a babysitter because my parents were at a party. We hid under the pool table.

It tore the fronts off a bunch of Hallcraft model homes that were right on Shea, faced South, between 64th St. & 66th Street. One of the houses behind us found dead horses in their pool, another had a fishing boat fly through their living room window.

66th Street, from Shea to almost Cactus had so much water flowing down it, people were tubing as if they were on a river.

We were very lucky. We had only a tiny roof leak and the metal ladder handles above the deep end ladder of the pool were bent over each other and we had at least 1.5 feet of water in the backyard.

My school, Cocopah Elementary was used as an emergency shelter for families whose homes had so much damage, they could not live in them.

That flood put the urgency to the City of Scottsdale for putting in drainage equipment, etc. on the roads throughout the area.

Also, back then Scottsdale pretty much turned into just desert between Cactus & Thunderbird. There was a 15 minute drive of all untouched desert between Scottsdale and Fountain Hills.

We used to go shooting near Reatta Pass, which is now Troon North.

One last tidbit...

We built our 4 bedroom house on 1 acre for $20,000 back in 1970. It was at 66th St & Mescal. I think it sold for over $400,000 in the early 1980's.

Old 07-05-2021, 03:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,107 times
Talking Clubs, Bars, & High School Parties in the 70's & 80's

Do you remember the parties at the "end of Pima", the 48th St River bottom, Papago Park, and Deer Valley & 7th Street?

At Papago Park (Hole in the Rock) near the Phoenix Zoo, people would actually carry kegs all the way up to the top of the mountain, where the hole is.

I went to Camelback, Saguaro, Scottsdale Alternative, and Marcos de Niza high schools and graduated in June of 1983. I then went to NAU from 1986-1990, when I got my BS in Accountancy.

The drinking age was 19 back then, but they raised it to 21 two weeks before my 19th birthday. If you were already 19, you were "grandfathered in" and could still legally drink.

I never got carded back then, until they raised the age, so I got to wave good bye to most of my friends as they left to go to the club. We LOVED going to Clancey's at Apache & Rural, Minder Binders at McClintock & University, and another place near Curry & Scottsdale Rd with fireworks on their sign.

And I can't forget Dooley's, who eventually split the club in half with plexiglass. One side was for under 21 and the other was over 21. Honorable mentions are the No Name Saloon, and a club on the west side that had country upstairs and Rock N Roll Downstairs.

What clubs and/or bars did you all love in the 1970's and 1980's?

Last edited by K2Mookey; 07-05-2021 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: To perfect the title

Old 07-05-2021, 09:28 AM

38 posts, read 71,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Mookey View Post
Minder Binders at McClintock & University, and another place near Curry & Scottsdale Rd with fireworks on their sign.

I feel like Minder Binders was definitely one of the longest lasting clubs in AZ. I was going there from the mid-90's until the very early 2000's.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:52 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,099,045 times
Quote:
This is MY first post. Hi everyone. I am a native of Phoenix. I was born at Doctor's Hospital in January 1966.

Does anyone remember the tornado and flood we had at 66th Street & Shea in 1972? It was North Scottsdale back then.

They both happened the same night. We had a babysitter because my parents were at a party. We hid under the pool table.

It tore the fronts off a bunch of Hallcraft model homes that were right on Shea, faced South, between 64th St. & 66th Street. One of the houses behind us found dead horses in their pool, another had a fishing boat fly through their living room window.

66th Street, from Shea to almost Cactus had so much water flowing down it, people were tubing as if they were on a river.

We were very lucky. We had only a tiny roof leak and the metal ladder handles above the deep end ladder of the pool were bent over each other and we had at least 1.5 feet of water in the backyard.

My school, Cocopah Elementary was used as an emergency shelter for families whose homes had so much damage, they could not live in them.

That flood put the urgency to the City of Scottsdale for putting in drainage equipment, etc. on the roads throughout the area.

Also, back then Scottsdale pretty much turned into just desert between Cactus & Thunderbird. There was a 15 minute drive of all untouched desert between Scottsdale and Fountain Hills.

We used to go shooting near Reatta Pass, which is now Troon North.

One last tidbit...

We built our 4 bedroom house on 1 acre for $20,000 back in 1970. It was at 66th St & Mescal. I think it sold for over $400,000 in the early 1980's.
I remember several floods in the 70s. Seems like every winter there was record rain. Vaguely remember people arguing about the tornado. "There ain't no tornadoes in Arizona!"

Don't want to see an actual tornado. But I've seen funnel clouds forming small funnels that didn't reach the ground over Phoenix. That's enough for me.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,007 times
Party gardens

Old 07-08-2021, 04:33 PM

14 posts, read 23,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurNextAdventure View Post
I was born in Arizona. Started life out in Prescott, then moved to rural Buckeye in the 1st Grade, in 1992. Left in 2004 for the Military. Moved back in 2010 after I got out, and holy smokes had Buckeye changed! Tract homes as far as the eye could see. Moved back to Prescott in 2013. It was a little bigger than it was when I had left in 1992 from what I could remember, but still had the small town Atmosphere, UNTIL the Californian's started flooding in around 2016. Just left last month for Alaska. I miss the old Arizona.
We all miss old Arizona. Both sides of my family have been here several generations.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:46 PM

14 posts, read 23,875 times
7st & Deer Valley c. 1986 was a blast, the drags just north of DV off 19th we're fun too during that same era!

Old 07-11-2021, 05:53 PM

24,165 posts, read 13,012,472 times
Quote:

Minder Binders, Timothy O'Toole's on Rural across from ASU. The Upstairs Pub on Mill.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
That sounds very familiar...do you know if there was a restaurant in front of it...this is weird but somewhere through the years I had in my head it was a funeral home but that didn't go along with the part about them grinding the meat from the restaurant steaks that weren't sold...but then again all of that may be from my imagination. I think I actually liked the crusty bread and cheese spread they had there the best. Thanks for commenting.
The original Monestary, roughly 1975 - 1988, was just north of Indian School, just east of the canal that ran along 48th St., yes, behind a funeral home. (The Funeral Home was just the small square building then.) It had been the shed for an orchard (olive I think), so it was just a shack. There was no restaurant on the property, although there may have been one nearby that I wasn't aware of. The Monestary was a magical place. Beer/wine only, barbeque your own burgers, volleyball, lots of nooks and crannys for conversation, a firepit for sing-alongs (these were just customers who brought thier guitars). I went there alone often, because it was like going home. I met a lot of friends there, but don't remember thier names. It was there I met the Love of my life. ..... It was one of 3 bars owned by the same people. One other was in downtown Tempe, called "Bandersnatch" as I remember. The third one was around 59th ave and Northern. In the late 80's, I think, they moved to the 28th St. location. They set it up well, considering the location, but it was not nearly as magical as the original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area