Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 06:24 PM

19 posts, read 194,124 times

Advertisements

Wow, downtown actually looks pretty happening back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 06:28 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,885,640 times
From what I've heard, it was! It was actually where people used to go for shopping, entertainment, restaurants, etc. That is why today they are trying to RE-vitizile downtown, because it once was a vital part of Phoenix, before sprawl took over.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:39 PM

849 posts, read 1,944,542 times
I have been living here in the valley since 1983. I also remember Bell Rd back then. It was like the end of the city...I remember cotton tails lined up at the edge of the road watching cars go by. I have skated at Metro Center. Used to go to Organ Stop pizza on Missouri and 7th Ave or 7th St? Shopped at AJ Bayless, Gemco, Smitty's, Yellow Front...

Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,908,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Phoenix's original light rail system, which ran until the mid 1940s.
Ehhh, so Phoenix did look like any other "normal" town before the forces were set off to destroy downtowns and the sense of community... I've seen similar pictures of Tucson in the 40s, too.

So, what happened to this light rail? Cars took over... no longer needed...

I kinda envy you, guys... It's nice to live in your home town.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,112,923 times
Quote:
Greatday made a comment in another post about how he remembers when Sky Harbor Airport was a grass strip...out in the middle of nowhere. That had to have been quite a while back...but I love to hear of how Phoenix used to be.
I don't remember the authors name, and I know the book is out of print, but, I DO KNOW that the book Phoenix -1870 to 1970 (in photographs) is available at the library - if you get a chance, look through it. It is Marvelous -

And yes HX_Guy - that was quite a while back. It was when a lot of the AJ Bayless stores had hitching posts in front - as many of us still road our horses to the grocery stores.

It was when there was no "freeway" (the Black Canyon -- now I-17) - much of the area between McDowell and Northern was 25th Ave - and we had a saddle club (the Black Canyon Saddle Club) in the middle of what is now the freeway a little south of Glendale.

It was when we lived in a REAL adobe home - before evap cooling. I remember when my job as a "youngin'" was to go out and soak the walls of the house with a hose in the morning before school (rode the horses to school sometimes too) - my mother would soak the "drapes" with water by mid day and put a fan in front of them - that was our evap cooling.

The Irrigation ditches were our "swimmin' holes" - and the Grand Canal was great for Cat fishing -

Old 11-12-2007, 09:36 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,885,640 times
Great stories Greatday. If you don't mind me asking, about what year are we taking?

I'll have to check out that book.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Great stories Greatday. If you don't mind me asking, about what year are we taking?

I'll have to check out that book.
Late 40's

OBTW - in that book, there is a picture taken circa 1920 - with the entire Phoenix police force - it was kept very secret (that they were taking the picture) as there were no officers on the streets!

Old 11-13-2007, 02:06 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,770,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I don't remember the authors name, and I know the book is out of print, but, I DO KNOW that the book Phoenix -1870 to 1970 (in photographs) is available at the library - if you get a chance, look through it. It is Marvelous -

And yes HX_Guy - that was quite a while back. It was when a lot of the AJ Bayless stores had hitching posts in front - as many of us still road our horses to the grocery stores.

It was when there was no "freeway" (the Black Canyon -- now I-17) - much of the area between McDowell and Northern was 25th Ave - and we had a saddle club (the Black Canyon Saddle Club) in the middle of what is now the freeway a little south of Glendale.

It was when we lived in a REAL adobe home - before evap cooling. I remember when my job as a "youngin'" was to go out and soak the walls of the house with a hose in the morning before school (rode the horses to school sometimes too) - my mother would soak the "drapes" with water by mid day and put a fan in front of them - that was our evap cooling.

The Irrigation ditches were our "swimmin' holes" - and the Grand Canal was great for Cat fishing -
Greatday,
I have to ask you a personal question since soooo many people think you can't go outside here during the summer and it's impossible to survive without air conditioning: Are you certain you're still alive? Is there a chance you died of heat stroke as a child and didn't realize it? If you did it would be understandable, having spent your entire life here and being a product of Arizona's educational system that you wouldn't have recognized heat stroke if it had jumped up and bit you in the a. Would you please check your pulse and get back to us? Thanks -aj661

Old 11-13-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Greatday,
I have to ask you a personal question since soooo many people think you can't go outside here during the summer and it's impossible to survive without air conditioning: Are you certain you're still alive? Is there a chance you died of heat stroke as a child and didn't realize it? If you did it would be understandable, having spent your entire life here and being a product of Arizona's educational system that you wouldn't have recognized heat stroke if it had jumped up and bit you in the a. Would you please check your pulse and get back to us? Thanks -aj661
It was a "dry heat" back then!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 PM

551 posts, read 1,582,535 times
LOL!! A dry heat well it was. I also think there was a bit less pavement and a few less swimming pools to contribute to the heat and humidity.

Thanks for reminding me of the adobe houses. Nothing better than a real adobe house to beat the heat.

As I wrote earlier, I lived in Phoenix without air conditioning, it can be done. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have no other choice.

LF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area