Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 03:37 AM

788 posts, read 2,104,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinpgh View Post
I remember the Gin Blossoms at Long Wongs and at the New Years Eve party.

Whee, enough nostalgia for me, this year!
Oh man, I miss Long Wong's. What a great little hole in the wall that was. And so many great bands played there. Remember the Refreshments?

There's a new Long Wong's on Stapley and the 60 in a strip mall. So not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
From what I've heard, it was! It was actually where people used to go for shopping, entertainment, restaurants, etc. That is why today they are trying to RE-vitizile downtown, because it once was a vital part of Phoenix, before sprawl took over.
It's just too bad they tore down a lot of the old buildings. There could be a kind of charm if downtown phoenix had old light rail cars and old buildings all over, and not shiny skyscrapers. That would be my hangout if that were the case

Thanks for the photos, guys! I loooove old photos.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Greatday,
I have to ask you a personal question since soooo many people think you can't go outside here during the summer and it's impossible to survive without air conditioning: Are you certain you're still alive? Is there a chance you died of heat stroke as a child and didn't realize it? If you did it would be understandable, having spent your entire life here and being a product of Arizona's educational system that you wouldn't have recognized heat stroke if it had jumped up and bit you in the a. Would you please check your pulse and get back to us? Thanks -aj661
I remember someone telling me that the reason a lot of the old houses in downtown phoenix have balconies was to hang wet sheets. Smart.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:32 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,508 times
Default What was the name of that hamburger restaurant in Metro Center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
The Spaghetti Company is on Central just south of McDowell, we've gone there a few times.

I remember the skating rink at Metro Center! I also remember the Metro Lounge right above the rink, it had the shape of a TWA jetliner.
The ice rink at Metro! OMG- that brings back great memories. My best friend and I used to hang out there every weekend from like 10-16 years old. I remember the airplane lounge too. I also remember that hamburger restaurant where you ordered your food on the red telephone at the table? What was the name of that place??? I wanna say "Round the Clock" or something like that? Does anyone remember? We thought that was so cool.

I remember Joskes, Broadway and Goldwaters department stores at Metro Center. I also remember when Metro Center was a nice, safe mall.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
I also remember that hamburger restaurant where you ordered your food on the red telephone at the table? What was the name of that place??? I wanna say "Round the Clock" or something like that? Does anyone remember? We thought that was so cool.
That sounds really familiar, but I can't remember either.

Anyone remember Ed Debevic's with the rude waiters who danced on the counter and sat down next to you in your booth to take your order?

Also, my grandparents used to love to take us to the Safari in Scottsdale, but sadly it was torn down to make room for condos.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:36 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
That sounds really familiar, but I can't remember either.

Anyone remember Ed Debevic's with the rude waiters who danced on the counter and sat down next to you in your booth to take your order?

Also, my grandparents used to love to take us to the Safari in Scottsdale, but sadly it was torn down to make room for condos.
I found it online- it was called "Round the Corner"- it was similar to a Red Robin. I do remember Ed Debevics but I never actually ate there. Does anyone remember the Old Fashioned ice cream parlor- Farrells? That place was fun to go to as a kid.

Here's a blast from the past.... does anyone remember when "Castles and Coasters" was called "Golf N Stuff"? and the only ride they had was the bumper cars. The video arcade was cool.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:37 PM

28 posts, read 135,407 times
I remember when we swam in the ditches, and canals.

I remember when the mountains stood out crisp and clear with no brown cloud obscuring the view.

I remember when it was fun to drive along base line and ooo and ahhhh at all the beautiful flowers. They planted Stalks and their spicy fragrance filled the air.

I remember when there were Citrus groves EVERY WHERE and in the springtime the air was thick with the scent of orange blossoms.

I remember when we drove south on Country Club to Chandler there was nothing but fields of alfalfa until you got to Baseline and on the west side was a truck stop and kind of catty corner on the north east corner was the baseline Tavern. I worked at the truck stop when I was 18. And so did my Brother.

I remember my Aunts house on Recker Ranch # 2. It had a screened in porch all the way around, and sometimes we all slept out there.

I grew up in AZ without air conditioning, went every where barefooted in the summer and played outside all day on summer vacation. and I'm still alive!

I remember when we all lived at #15 ranch going shopping in Phoenix. We would go west on Apache Trail thru Tempe crossed the bridge (remember when it was two lanes? and later if you were going out of Tempe they made a road down thru the River bed) ) and , I think it was 24th street all the way to Washington, I think there was a JC Penny store or a Sears close in there somewhere where we would shop. I remember I was always fascinated with the Hotel Westward Ho.

Enough for now, thanks for the memories!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:24 PM

551 posts, read 2,716,434 times
I remember when the 10 FWY stopped, and you had to take Buckeye Rd to get into (or out of) Phoenix.

I remeber when Glendale was considered "way past Phoenix!", and people would laugh at those who lived "way down" around Chandler Blvd!

I remember when the 60 FWY was only 2 lanes in each direction and barely passed Chandler; and why the hell would anyone go to Apache Junction?

Or when ALL OF ARIZONA was in the 602 area code.

And of course, my favorite radio station back in the 80's, KSTM 107.1 - The Storm!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:48 PM

181 posts, read 1,074,346 times
Quote:
Here's a blast from the past.... does anyone remember when "Castles and Coasters" was called "Golf N Stuff"? and the only ride they had was the bumper cars. The video arcade was cool.
And I remember the batting cages too. Haven't been there since 88.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:53 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,770,226 times
Quote:
But I vaguely remember the underground movie theater at Los Arcos, and my grandparents' monogram shop on 5th Ave in Scottsdale (it was open from the early 60s to early 80s). Downtown Scottsdale still had a lot of the old mom and pop stores when I was a kid. It wasn't corporate like it is now.
My first "real" date with future wife #1 was at that theater. Woody Allen's "Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex" was playing. Someday I may actually watch that movie...

Quote:
Ooooh, and I remember the real Cine Capri, not the wannabe Cine Capris popping up here and there.
How about the Kachina Theater on Scottsdale Road? Check out these old photos and the news article:
Kachina
The Cine Capri got all the glory and rightly so maybe, but the Kachina was a classy place in it's own right. The first movie I saw there was "2001: A Space Odyssey" and the last was "E.T."
Quote:
Does anyone remember the Old Fashioned ice cream parlor- Farrells? That place was fun to go to as a kid.
There was one on Indian School Rd. just west of Scottsdale Rd. I remember eating two of those double banana splits as a teenager - I think they were called "Pig Troughs", in one sitting and getting two "I made a pig of myself at Farrell's" ribbons. (If you knew what a skinny kid I was then you'd be impressed...)

Am I the only one who remembers the Round-Up Drive In on Thomas Road in Scottsdale? One of the best treats we had as kids was getting loaded into the family car for a double feature at the Round-Up! Some nights were $1.00 per car. Drive-Ins were everywhere in the 1960's but we seemed to end up there most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area