Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:23 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,711,644 times

Advertisements

I'm in the unhappy position of probably needing to replace the spout on my tub, because the shower diverter is stuck, presumably due to a mineral build-up from the water. I had a handyman in who says it looks like the minerals can't just be dissolved, which is what I'd hoped. I'm especially unhappy because this looks like a complicated process of paying to get a plumber in to remove the spout, then my going on my own to find a replacement, then having the guy back to re-install.

I have never done this before, and don't even know if all spouts are standard, or what. On top of this, it may be an unusual color, kind of a matte bronze, which was most likely from the very expensive Clyde Hardware. Do you know of any other hardware places that might be good for off-the-beaten-track items?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 02:56 PM

784 posts, read 923,188 times
These are one of the easiest repairs just about any homeowner can make on their own...they just unscrew...remember left loosey and righty tighty...lol

If you have any questions go to www.youtube.com and you will find some easy to follow directions...in the search type replace tub spout.

Take your old one to any Lowes or Homedepot and they will help get you the replacement....if its a custom one it will have to be ordered.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:45 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
jdahunt is correct, it most likely unscrews.

but before you panic, try getting a small plastic cup (empty yogurt container, etc.) and fill it with CLR (or equivalent) and tape it/tie it to the spout enough so it contacts the diverter. Leave there for a few hours. See if that cures your problem.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:48 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,618 times
Easy shmeezy. I can even replace a tub spout. You can use a pipe wrench on it for leverage to unscrew counter clockwise and it won't matter if you scratch it up. Ace Hardware would be the simple place to get the exact replacement. I can't remember if I put teflon tape on the new one. Ace Hardware will help you. The new one will work so nice and easy. A lot of my friends won't even try to fix something themselves. You will be proud of your job well done and save some money.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
check efaucets.com and similar online sources for hard to find finishes and styles.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:53 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,711,644 times
Thanks, guys, but I should have added - the spout won't unscrew. It's frozen solidly enough that the handyman had been applying the wrench so forcefully that he was gouging the spout, so that I was afraid something might break disastrously, and I finally made him stop. He hadn't been able to budge it.

So, I'm not looking to do it myself, and I'm not looking to order anything from the internet.

AZJoeD, I did hope that something like CLR might do the trick but (apart from my worrying about what it might do to the bronze-ish finish), there seemed to be no way to immerse a horizontal spout with a diverter tucked inside so that you couldn't get to it.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 PM

535 posts, read 967,132 times
Probably a no brainer and your handyman would know this, but not all spouts unscrew. Some have a set screw on the bottom of the spout that needs to be loosened. Can you upload a couple of photos of it so I can see what you're dealing with?

Old 08-15-2013, 12:50 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Or the pipe is corroded and is most likely going to break off when you try to remove it. Call a plumber. This doesn't sound like a home or handyman repair. It should be one of the simplest jobs, and if it isn’t it will become a nightmare. You have already found out simple it ain’t so stop where you are and call a professional. For me to say that should tell you something…… You got problems in River City..

Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
…… You got problems in River City..
...with a capital T that rhymes with P and stands for Pool....

Old 08-15-2013, 02:17 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Thanks, guys, but I should have added - the spout won't unscrew. It's frozen solidly enough that the handyman had been applying the wrench so forcefully that he was gouging the spout, so that I was afraid something might break disastrously, and I finally made him stop. He hadn't been able to budge it.

So, I'm not looking to do it myself, and I'm not looking to order anything from the internet.

AZJoeD, I did hope that something like CLR might do the trick but (apart from my worrying about what it might do to the bronze-ish finish), there seemed to be no way to immerse a horizontal spout with a diverter tucked inside so that you couldn't get to it.

Ouch.

You may have to cut it off. Unfortunately, a hacksaw probably can't be oriented correctly for an easy removal....a Dremel with an abrasive cut off wheel will most likely do the trick.

I've had to this in the awkward position of on my back.....under the bathroom sink....working upside down. With all of the wonderful debris spewing on my face.

Wear safety glasses.

Lots of good handymen out there....but in this case.....a professional plumber's job ifya don't have the courage. Honestly, maybe cheaper to call a plumber.

Yeah, and definitely check for a set screw.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area