Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 12,648 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Please do not flame or troll on me as I have tried to find some latest information on the Maryvale area of Phoenix. It seems some threads are a few years old and I wanted to see what has changed. So I do apologize for being new to all this.

I am from the Ventura County area from California which is mostly suburbs and I'm planning to move to the Phoenix. I was looking at buying a home and I'm actually already in the process but as I start doing more research I am finding more and more concerns about where I am buying my home. It is a new development which is still in construction but it is very very close to W. Mcdowell Road and N 75th Ave (right off the 10 freeway).

If I'm not mistaken, this is the Maryvale area which a lot of people say avoid at all costs? I am very open minded even though I grew up in the suburbs with extremely low crime.

If anyone could please just give me their honest opinion and let me know what should be my concerns. I am not planning to start a family there so my true concerns are just safety and security. And my new neighborhood is not gated. And I don't plan to go out late and walk around since the heat is crazy compared to the beach weather I am used to.

Thank you for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 01:30 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
1st and foremost - where are you going to work? .... if the job is in Chandler than I wouldn't worry to much about 75th & McDowell as you'll be spending the bulk of your time at work and getting to/from work

2nd question - you may not be looking to start a family now - but are you looking to start a family in the next 5 years? 10 years? ...... if so, will this be a home you can get out of if your goals change?

I would honestly recommend that you do not buy a home right away - especially a new build ....... right now new builds are going for a little bit more than re-sells which could be a complication if you are looking to sell your home in the next 3-5 years if you discover you don't like the neighborhood, phoenix, heat, life, whatever

I also personally do not like that area .... I wouldn't really say it's "Maryvale" as it's traditionally known .... that development is south and west of the core of that development and what is really that area of the city - although the technical city of phoenix planning boundary probably does include this as Maryvale

My inlaws were looking at condos near there and we visited and really didn't like it ..... the immediate shops, etc leave a bit to be desired, the access to the freeway is almost a bit too good so you don't really have a buffer from I-10

Also keep in mind that while it's hot right now - for a solid 7-8 months out of the year the night time temps are not going to be too hot for most to walk around and enjoy the outside ..... if you like walking, riding a bike, or being out in your neighborhood and that is important to you going forward don't discount your ability to do that in AZ just because it's blazing hot in June, July & August

I'd definitely recommend renting first - even if it's a short term lease, a month long home rental, extended stay hotel, etc ....... get a feel for the area before committing to such a purpose

I wouldn't say that area is out and out dangerous, it just isn't for me - but everyone has different experiences, expectations, etc .... only you know what works for you

Old 08-15-2013, 02:28 PM

That is interesting and kind of scary too that you knew this but yes I am going to be working in Chandler. This new development homes happens to be a great location between my fiance's med school (MidWestern) and my work in Chandler.

I plan to start a family in at least 10 or more years because I got to wait for my fiance to be done with
school and residency (which she just started her first year). Thats the plan right now and we were thinking that this home could be turned around to rent or even sell it later after shes done (if we do sell maybe within 4-8 years). I am really moving out there to be close to her.

I agree that the new home location is so close to businesses such as Target, Home Depot, Costco, Lowes, markets...all within 3-5 miles. And its very close to the freeway but far enough from the noise.

Even though I lived all my life within 5 miles from beaches, as long as there is A/C I am fine. I was there for a week in Cave Creek with my fiance's family and we walked at 10:30 at night which I sweated like crazy from walking. So I know I have to be prepared its not like how its in the 60s right now at night for me over here in CA.

The only reason I was avoiding to rent is because I didn't want to put money into renting when I could buy a home and pay about the same while I get to own the home and I could turn it around later to rent it out or sell it.

Heres the thing too, this new build was actually the most reasonable priced because I have been looking for resells that are 12 years or less old all around Phoenix area (Glendale, North Phoenix, Scottsdale, etc). The resell homes are either really bad conditions (price isn't right due to cost of renovations after) or they sell so quickly and its is such a sellers market so these homes are gone within 1-5 days. I had the perfect home I found that was offered the same day it was listed and the seller accepted it; I was about to offer that evening.

Anyhow, I really appreciate you taking the time to address these concerns of mine which has been a tremendous help. I was actually worried and getting stressed with the situation. Hopefully I get to hear more input about this area to make a final decision soon.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:41 PM

Also I want to make note that there is HOA in this small community with two pools and parks. Not sure if this has a positive aspect in the long run for the area?

Some of these threads from 2009 or before are saying its getting better while some say its like a cancer and spreading...I would really appreciate more input about how it is presently.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:42 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,645 times
For commute reasons, you should reconsider. I cannot stress this enough. The west valley to Chandler is NOT an easy commute every day. Depending on where you're headed to in Chandler, you're looking at a 30 to 40 minute drive during normal traffic. If you're commuting during rush hour, that could easily jump up to over an hour or higher. Not a pleasant drive to do every day.

Even as far as Midwestern University is considered, it's a bit of a drive. Midwestern is in the far northern part of Glendale, and would take about 20 minutes.

If your primary goal is to balance your commute, there are better places.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:55 PM

Thank you for your response CodyW. I understand the commute may be tough which I used Google Maps to test it out to be about 25 minutes to the office. In real word testing (3 different days) it took anywhere from 20-30 minutes. Unfortunately I did not have the time to drive during rush hour to test that as well. I estimate with traffic to be 40-50 minutes possibly more but seems rare. This is pretty normal for most commuters in Southern California so I am actually happy with the commute time.

As I read more and more about Maryvale area, this new community being built doesn't seem as promising as I initially though.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:03 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
Renting there is questionable in my opinion but there is NO WAY I would purchase a home there. This is not an "up and coming" area and is actually an area in decline. I'm not saying it is a war zone or you're going to be unsafe there I'm just saying that it is not a good place to invest in a home in my opinion. It's not a nice area by any stretch.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:05 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
I would try to find a place to rent in between I-17 and 51. Going out to Midwestern from north central Phoenix will be opposite of rush hour traffic and puts you at least 20 minutes closer to Chandler. Rent an extended stay hotel for a month or two until you get your bearings.

I've driven I-10 on the weekend to the airport from Avondale and made it in around 20 minutes. But during morning rush hour traffic it is 45 minutes if I'm lucky.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:09 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Hmm.. Sounds like Vinsanto? I assume you are looking there because it is new and it is cheap. No matter, that is a lower income area and that means the same thing here as it does in California. There is a reason that the prices are 50% or more less than similar homes in the metro. If it looks nice today, be assured it won't last. People like yourself will move out soon enough as their incomes rise and sell their house to a slum/landlord and the whole neighborhood will be taken over by the lowlifes.

I know. I bought in a place like that when I first came here. We were safe, and the area was convenient (south Phoenix). Our neighbors initially were all young professional types, but soon they began to leave and the homes were rented to Section 8s, people who parked cars in the unmowed and weed filled yards, etc. We had an HOA, but after the developer sold all the lots, it ceased to do anything but collect fees. We were never proud of our home because every time we told someone where it was it was like "oh my!". Some friends would not even come visit. We finally gave up and sold to an investor ourselves. We did not lose money but made much less appreciation than had we purchased the same model house in another part of town.

Your own experience may be different, of course. For one thing, the HOA and amenities you have may keep the riff-raff out. But be honest with yourself about where you are buying. Don't rationalize away the downside potential. In homes, the old adage is location, location and location. This is not a prized location.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:10 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
A good chunk of that stretch would be bad in rush hour - especially on the way back .... you'd basically be getting on I-10 right when it slows down and starts to crawl

On the way back the bottleneck starts way earlier and pretty much doesn't let off until you get past 51st avenue ..... IMO the return trip is a lot worse than getting there in the morning

Rush hour does make a difference

Rush hour in the winter or even this past week when schools are back in session makes a difference .... the summer drive is a lot lighter than the winter drive

Not saying it can't be done, but it's a haul ..... I get when you are trying to find a middle ground though

It's just a difficult thing to accomplish as those locations are a long way apart - a good 40-50 miles

Not sure what the best direction or advice is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area