Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 05:57 AM

148 posts, read 265,942 times

Advertisements

Myself and my hubby are planning a move out to AZ next year and want to open a business or possible buy a business that is already established. Coming from Canada their the two types of businesses that have done extremely well here and did not notice them in AZ when we visiting last year.

first one - A coffee store that would sell Keurig coffee pods and Tasimo coffee pods for the at home coffee machines. This business that opened up in my home town 3 yrs has grown by 1000%.

Your advice ; Do you think a business would like this would do really well in Arizona ?. Are the Keurig and Tasimo machines very popular in the Arizona households ? I know that most people need a shot of caffeine in the morning to get the day going, but I could be wrong with the weather being so hot maybe people drink ice coffee instead ?

second one - A bulk store- A store that has bins of everything from flour to cereals to spices. A place where you take what you need for the new recipe that you want to make instead of buying a large size of it at the grocery store. We have achain of them in Canada called "The Bulk Barn".

Your advice; I did not come across any type of these stores last year, but I could be wrong !. Would something like this do well in put in a busy plaza ?

I know that I am going to have to do alot of research before opening up a new business and possible seek a business consultant, but thought I would ask here to see what your thoughts may be. I am very grateful for any advice you may have.

Thank you in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,500,601 times
Moved back to Phoenix from Idaho where there was a coffee related business for every 500 residents. So got spoiled being close to locally owned coffee shops that did not serve the swill that Starbucks makes. The coffee idea might work, what would be different than what I could pick up at Wal-Mart, Target or a local grocery store?

As far as the bulk thing goes, there is a grocery store chain that is new to Arizona called Winco with a sizable bulk department and Sprouts has a pretty decent bulk department. I've turned into a fan of bulk foods, but again what would make me want to bypass Winco or Sprouts to shop a local place?

Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 AM

391 posts, read 789,474 times
I too am curious why I would not just buy the pods at walmart? In businesses I've been associated with, the box stores seemed to sell the same product at close to my cost! Maybe I misunderstood your concept.

On another note: I went road biking this spring. It was 100 degrees or something. There were heat warnings out. I biked to a Starbucks and ordered a coffee (dumb I know but I know I'm dumb). They told me they dont serve coffee in the afternoon!!!!! They made me some instant. Who ever heard of not serving coffee at Starbucks!!! Crazy, at least to me being from Canada.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:03 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,247,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
I too am curious why I would not just buy the pods at walmart? In businesses I've been associated with, the box stores seemed to sell the same product at close to my cost! Maybe I misunderstood your concept.

On another note: I went road biking this spring. It was 100 degrees or something. There were heat warnings out. I biked to a Starbucks and ordered a coffee (dumb I know but I know I'm dumb). They told me they dont serve coffee in the afternoon!!!!! They made me some instant. Who ever heard of not serving coffee at Starbucks!!! Crazy, at least to me being from Canada.
Come on, starbucks not selling coffee in the afternoon??? That is nearly all they sell so that can't even remotely be true. It was 119 a month or so ago and every starbucks was selling coffee all day long here. I think you misunderstood something as they need coffee to make iced coffee's which are popular in the heat.

Last edited by LBTRS; 08-27-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 11:49 AM

I did question why the small business in my home town could do so well with the coffee pods, because we also have access to it at Walmart and Target etc, but it is because they sell so many different variety's of coffee pods ( at least 100) and when you buy 9 boxes your 10th box is free. They let you try their coffee in the store and you can pick out any coffee pod to make up a variety box. When they first opened the store their was always line ups out the door and they are always so so busy still, not sure if Canadians are just mad over coffee or what ???, it is definitely cheaper than buying from star bucks every day.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,247,518 times
Between Sams Club, Costco, Walmart, etc. I can't see how a coffee pod store would succeed as you couldn't compete with the big box and warehouse stores in price. I would think you would have to offer other merchandise besides coffee pods.

You'd also have to be in the right location in the valley for something like that to make it. I have no idea where the right location is but I can't see that making it out here in the suburbs with middle class families. Maybe Scottsdale or someplace like that where people have more money than sense.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:06 PM

8,284 posts, read 8,688,521 times
I don't like your ideas. I don't see the demand.

What this area needs are hot dogs at a decent price. Around here they want $5 for 1 dog, coke, and chips. I am used to 8 dogs with chili and cheddar, 2 large fries for about $13.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:53 PM

3,825 posts, read 9,500,601 times
I might drive around the east valley to see what's popular out there and then "borrow" the idea to open up something in the west valley. Will be heading out to the west valley to live and most of the national chains are well represented, but nothing local and distinctive. Personally if I had some money burning a hole in my pocket I would open a micro-brewery along the I-10 corridor in the west valley. Either that or a bar that had 15-20 really good beers on tap. Hate going out to eat in the west valley and being offered Blue Moon, Sam Adams or Fat Tire as my only options for craft beers.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:03 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,756,765 times
My wife recently purchased a Keurig machine.(I have an espresso machine that I usually use.) I have been buying a lot of K Cups at a variety of locations, which included the major grocery stores, Bed Bath and Beyond and Dunkin' Donuts. I sould never shop at Wal*Mart but that is another discussion. Finding something you like at one store is no indication that you will find it at another. There is no uniformity but after you've seen them all there is not that much variety. I would definitely go to a store that specialized in pods, at least to check it out.

But even if successful I think you would have to work to keep up with industry trends as that sort of market is extremely volatile. About 5 years ago we bought a machine that used Senseo pods. At that time you could buy them in the grocery store and although K Cups existed you could not get them in the store. Today the same stores have several feet of shelf space for K Cups and the only place I can find Senseo pods is on Amazon.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:00 PM

ECS Coffee Special In-Store Feature - YouTube

Just wanted to share this link with you regarding the coffee store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area