Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 AM

6,131 posts, read 8,016,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I was the sixth person to post in this thread and stated my counterpoint clearly...Maricopa County is much safer because of Sheriff Joe and his policies. Sure he has some negatives but the positives outweigh those negatives and that is why he keeps getting reelected. There are others that could care less that we are safer and would rather speak of just the negatives of the Sheriff and call for his head. We hired him to enforce existing laws which he seems to get done fairly well and we're safer because of it.
Please explain how he makes you safer. I've asked that question here before in other Sherriff Joe threads and never got an answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I was the sixth person to post in this thread and stated my counterpoint clearly...Maricopa County is much safer because of Sheriff Joe and his policies. Sure he has some negatives but the positives outweigh those negatives and that is why he keeps getting reelected. There are others that could care less that we are safer and would rather speak of just the negatives of the Sheriff and call for his head. We hired him to enforce existing laws which he seems to get done fairly well and we're safer because of it.

A question for you...you don't feel that people who exaggerate any issue are "pea brained"? If someone in this thread puts themselves in the category that Bummer refers to (someone who doesn't accurately portray the situation and exaggerates) then that is a larger problem then someones general comment about the group that does so. Don't you think?
What were these exaggeration s of which you speak? BTW, if you keep editing your post its hard to follow the conversation.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:14 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
Quote:

I would suggest that the safety of "Maricopa County" is largely due to the fine work of the many police departments who actually do the "heavy lifting" (to borrow a term from someone earlier in the thread) in terms of law enforcement and crime prevention. To give all the credit to the man whose primary responsibilities are to run the jails (which there's certainly been some issues with) and provide law enforcement to the outlying unincorporated areas of the county and those few small municipalities with which the Sheriff''s Office has contracts is, in my opinion, off target.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:15 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,469,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is it the "snowbird" vote that keep him in office?
No doubt the infamous Koch Brothers sent an army of androids who stack the vote! /sarc

Old 09-11-2013, 10:16 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,922,090 times
If only all sheriffs where like Joe, what a great country...

Old 09-11-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I would suggest that the safety of "Maricopa County" is largely due to the fine work of the many police departments who actually do the "heavy lifting" (to borrow a term from someone earlier in the thread) in terms of law enforcement and crime prevention. To give all the credit to the man whose primary responsibilities are to run the jails (which there's certainly been some issues with) and provide law enforcement to the outlying unincorporated areas of the county and those few small municipalities with which the Sheriff''s Office has contracts is, in my opinion, off target.

Well stated.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
If only all sheriffs where like Joe, what a great country...
In what way?

Old 09-11-2013, 10:29 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,264,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
There is absolutely no evidence of that. As Ponderosa has pointed out, MCSO has very little actual law enforcement responsibilities. His policies amount to:
  • abusing prisoners, many of whom are awaiting trial and have not been convicted
  • playing the race card when it is politically advantageous to do so
  • getting publicity for himself
None of that makes anybody any safer.
Well, let me use a personal example. I have a coworker that got a DUI in another state and spent a couple days in jail in that state and was fined yet he kept drinking and driving. He moved to Arizona and got a DUI and was thrown in Tent City for two years because of it. He's never driven after drinking again and says it is because he does not want to go back to that place.

I'm safer and so are you because Sheriff Joe taught him a lesson...I bet there are millions out there that feel the same way. I feel that way and I've never been there but it makes me think twice before I have a beer with dinner when I have to drive afterwards.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:33 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,264,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Really? So let me ask you...what is more of a deterrent to you, that you may be pulled over and fined for a DUI by your local police department or that you may end up in Tent City for a DUI?

And come on, where did I say or infer that all the credit goes to him? I said we are safer because of him which takes nothing away from the other law enforcement agencies in the valley. We are safer with his polices then we would be without them is all I've said.

Saying we're better-off in this forum with you here doesn't mean it's only because of you it means you've had a positive impact. Same thing...

Last edited by LBTRS; 09-11-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 09-11-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Well, let me use a personal example. I have a coworker that got a DUI in another state and spent a couple days in jail in that state and was fined yet he kept drinking and driving. He moved to Arizona and got a DUI and was thrown in Tent City for two years because of it. He's never driven after drinking again and says it is because he does not want to go back to that place.

I'm safer and so are you because Sheriff Joe taught him a lesson...I bet there are millions out there that feel the same way. I feel that way and I've never been there but it makes me think twice before I have a beer with dinner when I have to drive afterwards.
Sherriffs don't decide how long someone stays in jail. That is determined by the law and the courts. And could it be that your coworker got a stiffer sentence in Arizona because he's a repeat offender? Again, the law made that determination, not the Sherriff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area