Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 08:45 AM

13,690 posts, read 7,976,787 times

Advertisements

I was told Maratherm is made by ICP and exactly the same as Day and Night, Heil, Comfort Maker, Tempstar and so on. Maratherm has the same coil tubing, compressor, fan motor, relay, capacitor, fan blade and housing as all of the brands above. The equipment is the same, just different letters and marketing. Much like LENNOX and Armstrong.

People you actually save money by hiring a top rated contractor and getting off price and brand. Remember there's no free lunches. It's the installation that matters. So don't hire a friend of a friend of a friend or most likely the sweetness of a good deal up front will be forgotten by the bitterness of a poor installation.

Do you agree AC brands are basically the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 05:53 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,176,305 times
Never heard of Maratherm before. But I think you answered your own question: the install is more important than the equipment.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Never heard of Maratherm before. But I think you answered your own question: the install is more important than the equipment.

Yeah, I never heard of Maratherm before either.

I was told it's the exact same AC unit as Comfort Make.

Given the intense AZ summers it's not surprising there are an endless number of AC companies with "techs" pitching their know-how.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:12 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
Note that gone are the days of installing a new condenser on an old coil, since dry R22 units are no longer available per the new energy standards.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:43 PM

13,238 posts, read 7,286,273 times
I have always bought the cheapest goodman never had any problems with them my neighbor bought the most expensive trane he could get has had many repairs I spent $2999 installed he spent $8800 plus $350 a year service contract both 4 ton packaged heat pumps. We use the same power from July 4th to labor day high seer rated units don't save you any money when it's 110 July 4th I use evap cooling until July 4th and after labor day.

The reason I didn't spend lot of money also was I knew they were going to stop making CFC R-22 and if I had spent like he did in 2007 $8800 and had to repair it would need R-22 which is now very expensive the more money he spends on costly repairs because even with his service contract they don't cover R-22 he will never be able to reach his ROI the sales person told him he would save on electricity over my cheap 13 seer unit. The biggest problems with home AC is leaky ducts and poorly insulated homes if you fix those 2 things you could find an old 10 seer AC unit and still save more money then an 19 seer unit they sell today.

How do you think an AC contractor makes his money on fixing leaking duct work no the fastest way to make money is to sell you a high end AC unit which didn't cost him any labor to purchase he only has to get it to you where labor to fix leaking ducts has all kinds of pitfalls in his cost to do that repair. AC sales guy is always going to try and sell you a high end AC unit so he can make boat load of money.

Last edited by kell490; 03-25-2018 at 08:53 PM..

Old 03-25-2018, 09:09 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I have always bought the cheapest goodman never had any problems with them my neighbor bought the most expensive trane he could get has had many repairs I spent $2999 installed he spent $8800 plus $350 a year service contract both 4 ton packaged heat pumps. We use the same power from July 4th to labor day high seer rated units don't save you any money when it's 110 July 4th I use evap cooling until July 4th and after labor day.

The reason I didn't spend lot of money also was I knew they were going to stop making CFC R-22 and if I had spent like he did in 2007 $8800 and had to repair it would need R-22 which is now very expensive the more money he spends on costly repairs because even with his service contract they don't cover R-22 he will never be able to reach his ROI the sales person told him he would save on electricity over my cheap 13 seer unit. The biggest problems with home AC is leaky ducts and poorly insulated homes if you fix those 2 things you could find an old 10 seer AC unit and still save more money then an 19 seer unit they sell today.

How do you think an AC contractor makes his money on fixing leaking duct work no the fastest way to make money is to sell you a high end AC unit which didn't cost him any labor to purchase he only has to get it to you where labor to fix leaking ducts has all kinds of pitfalls in his cost to do that repair. AC sales guy is always going to try and sell you a high end AC unit so he can make boat load of money.
I to am a Goodman fan. But marketing works. It's tough to flush what we are told even when deep down we know that there are only so many makers of compressors, fans, etc. It reminds me of water softeners. There can be a 4X price difference using the same caliber components.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:50 PM

[quote=MN-Born-n-Raised;51424095]I to am a Goodman fan. But marketing works. It's tough to flush what we are told even when deep down we know that there are only so many makers of compressors, fans, etc. It reminds me of water softeners. There can be a 4X price difference using the same caliber components.[/QUOTE]

Something else to file away for another time. Thanks

Old 04-01-2018, 06:23 PM

Last year a new AC was installed in my mother’s house. It's a 3.5-ton roof top package unit.

Today the cooler was turned on and I noticed modest thumping coming from the vent where the AC filter is installed. This vent is in the hall next to the kitchen.

You can't hear the sound in any of the other rooms just when you stand near the vent with the filter.

I've read such a sound can be heard with a gas unit. Is this the same with an electric?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area