U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 09:37 AM

56 posts, read 124,415 times

Advertisements

few days ago i went shopping for a car online . on the dealers website that i was viewing a slider thingie asked if i needed help . being naive i gave my info out to them . like phone number , e-mail . after that i was bombarded with other dealers in Phoenix calling me and offering their products . IMO i thought that was pretty darn sneaky for my dealer to do that . in fact i now have lost faith with the dealer i started out with . the way i see it i gave my info to them and not every Tom,Dick,and Harry out there . couple of the unsoliceted dealers were arather heavy handed with their sales spiel . it bothered me to the point that i did not get any sleep that night and am wondering if i should sic a lawyer on them . still am rather pissed about the whole deal .
Rate this post positively

Old 09-10-2013, 09:49 AM

2,495 posts, read 5,045,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dododolittle View Post
few days ago i went shopping for a car online . on the dealers website that i was viewing a slider thingie asked if i needed help . being naive i gave my info out to them . like phone number , e-mail . after that i was bombarded with other dealers in Phoenix calling me and offering their products . IMO i thought that was pretty darn sneaky for my dealer to do that . in fact i now have lost faith with the dealer i started out with . the way i see it i gave my info to them and not every Tom,Dick,and Harry out there . couple of the unsoliceted dealers were arather heavy handed with their sales spiel . it bothered me to the point that i did not get any sleep that night and am wondering if i should sic a lawyer on them . still am rather pissed about the whole deal .
I would assume you didn't give your info to the dealer you were visiting, but to a third party linked to your search. They then turned around and offered your info as a lead to all the other dealers.
You could just tell whomever contacts you that you don't know how they got your info because you aren't looking and if they are persistent ask where they got your info and for all their particulars because you may have been hacked and you might have to file a police report.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:05 AM

35,937 posts, read 46,054,220 times
Why would a dealer give a lead to a competitor? You got fooled by something on a page that was not from the dealer but a third party. Don't be too hard on yourself, though. These ads are so cleverly disguised that it can be impossible to tell. Also, be aware that everything you do on the web is tracked and sold. You have absolutely no expectation or assurance of privacy online anymore. If you put any personal info anywhere, with the possible exception of secured sites (https), it is public information these days.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:49 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,251,569 times
Yeah, YOU CERTAINLY DID NOT GIVE YOUR INFORMATION TO A DEALER....there is no dealer that would give a lead to another dealer they would try and sell you the car themselves. You gave your information to a third party service that sells leads to dealers. Once they have your info they will send to any dealer that is willing to pay them for it. It was a slick advertisement that was put on the page due to your browsing activity.

Don't hold this against the dealer you were dealing with as it has nothing to do with them.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:13 AM

17,848 posts, read 40,227,727 times
And, this has nothing to do with Phoenix specifically. I'm sure these third party services operate in every city in the country. Thanks for sharing the experience, as it may help others avoid this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area