Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 11:04 AM

257 posts, read 684,921 times

Advertisements

Hi! Moving from Manhattan to Scottsdale. Shopping for a place right now. If I dont find place to buy I will rent something temporarily. Will be working from home. But need daily or at least twice weekly access to grocery store and Post office (has to be USPS not Fedex or UPS). I can afford a car but I am 40, never needed to drive (lived in Manhattan my whole adult life) and I know I will never be comfortable driving a car. I just hate being in a car honestly. I will get a license once in AZ but I dont feel that I would need to Buy a car (I would rather rent 1 if I need to travel someplace) if I work from home. If I get a place in 85251 zip somewhere in vicinity of Fashion Square is it possible to live without a car? I am thinking about getting scooter type electric bike (the kind You dont need license and ins for). Like Jetson Stylish Eco-Friendly Electric Bicycle | Jetson Bike Help! Am I being unrealistic? Would it be dangerous riding in Scottsdale on this?

Old 09-15-2013, 11:37 AM

701 posts, read 1,097,132 times
As long as you get a place near a grocery store, it's quite possible. You can also call a cab here. When it's not over 100 degrees, Scottsdale can also be pretty bike-friendly, especially when compared to Manhattan. This might also come in handy:

Scottsdale Trolley Routes

Old 09-15-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
As long as you get a place near a grocery store, it's quite possible. You can also call a cab here. When it's not over 100 degrees, Scottsdale can also be pretty bike-friendly, especially when compared to Manhattan. This might also come in handy:

Scottsdale Trolley Routes
Thank You. Wouldnt cabs be very costly because of the distances? I dont remember last time I took a cab but even in Manhattan the shortest ride (5 blocks) would be $5-8 nowadays. I assume In Scottsdale it would start at $20. And I really would like not to rely on public transportation and I prefer not to pedal (wouldnt that make me sweat more?). When looking for a place I am looking at places nearby to see what stores are close by. Do people around Scottsdale ride in bikes like Jetson? Elecric bikes? Its popular in the city. Similar to Vespa but cheaper and no license/registration. I also like it because I can wear normal clothes on a scooter (Dress).

Old 09-15-2013, 12:10 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
If I were to go car less in the Phoenix Metro, it wouldn't be in Scottsdale. Scottsdale is a very nice city but it doesn't have as many transportation options as say central Phoenix or Tempe.

Last edited by HX_Guy; 09-15-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 09-15-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
If I were to go car less in the Phoenix Metro, it wouldn't be in Scottsdale. Scottsdale is a very nice city but it doesn't have any many transportation options as say central Phoenix or Tempe.
Thank You. I really would prefer to live in Scottsdale. So basically 1 of these scooters is not a viable option? Its just that even if I get comfortable with driving it wouldnt make sense for me to get 1 just to drive 5 miles a week. I think. I am really trying to convince myself that I can get around without a car. HaHa!

Old 09-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Have you been out here in the summer for an extended period of time? It's ok to walk around a couple minutes but anything longer can be miserable, and waiting for a bus, even worse. I really dont think it would be possible, I know I couldn't do it, unless again maybe I lived somewhere more central like downtown and could take the light rail etc.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:28 PM

81 posts, read 214,713 times
You could make it work living near Old Town Scottsdale. I agree with Golden_Monkey, as long as you're near a grocery store and can access work/school via transit or walking, you'll be fine. Living in Old Town Scottsdale will put you within walking distance of Scottsdale Fashion Square, restaurants, movie theaters, art galleries, a well developed bike network that includes a greenway connection to Downtown Tempe and other portions of Scottsdale and a partially paved path adjacent to a canal that will bring you into Phoenix. It will be difficult reaching other parts of the Phoenix area without a car, but really, you won't be missing out on much. Phoenix, Old Town Scottsdale, and Downtown Tempe are truly the hubs of activity in the metro area. The rest of metro Phoenix is basically the same chain stores plopped down at nearly identical looking intersections for miles and miles.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by what??? View Post
You could make it work living near Old Town Scottsdale. I agree with Golden_Monkey, as long as you're near a grocery store and can access work/school via transit or walking, you'll be fine. Living in Old Town Scottsdale will put you within walking distance of Scottsdale Fashion Square, restaurants, movie theaters, art galleries, a well developed bike network that includes a greenway connection to Downtown Tempe and other portions of Scottsdale and a partially paved path adjacent to a canal that will bring you into Phoenix. It will be difficult reaching other parts of the Phoenix area without a car, but really, you won't be missing out on much. Phoenix, Old Town Scottsdale, and Downtown Tempe are truly the hubs of activity in the metro area. The rest of metro Phoenix is basically the same chain stores plopped down at nearly identical looking intersections for miles and miles.
Yes, I am looking around N Scottsdale rd/e Rancho Vista dr area. I see on the map there is some sort of public transportation nearby. But still nobody would answer my question about scooter/Jetson bike. Do people ride these in Scottsdale? I am really trying to make this work with a scooter. Keep in mind its not going to be daily to/from work commute. more like a 2 miles each way to post office or green market. Off peak hours.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:01 PM

Scooter and 105+ degree weather is not something I'd want to do, day or night. Any particular reason why that area of Scottsdale?

Old 09-15-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Scooter and 105+ degree weather is not something I'd want to do, day or night. Any particular reason why that area of Scottsdale?
Not really. Just saw couple of places I like around there. also seems close to everything. Any specific areas you recommend? TY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area