Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 02:09 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,386,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Personally I would say be careful with parts of Avondale.

I say South Tempe, Chandler, Ahwatukee.

I would agree with the Avondale advice. One of my co-workers moved from here in California to the area. They had planned on buying a home in Avondale. After a few more visits to the area they ended up in Surprise, Arizona's safest city. My parents have an Avandale Police officer that lives on there steet. He livies in Surprise, because of how things are in Avondale. Pesonally I have only heard stories, so I am not the best of sources. My info comes from the mouth's of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 02:24 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,386,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I really hate these threads of "which city is best?"! The best city is whichever city is best for YOU. And YOU are the only one that can decide that. It may take a few weeks of exploring or years to find the best city for you.

Comparing east valley to the west valley is ridiculous and NEVER works.

That is so true. I love many areas around the valley that I have visited. I think it is nice that so many people are happy with the area that they live in. I also think that a person can find great things wherever they choose to live in the Phoenix area. My feeling is there is good and bad everywhere. The smart people look for the good in everything. Can I tell someone that they have to live in Surprise? Heck no. I would prefer that people that live there want to live there. You have people that live in Mesa that love it and would have it no other way. They will never live in Surprise and I wouldn't expect them to. They love there area and that is great. There are people that love living in every community in the area. And from reading post within this forum there are people that hate living where they are and can't wait to get out. Maybe this area isn't for them, and maybe they just want to complain. I believe that wherever you go at least 5% of the people will complain anyway. What is best is if you live in an area that works for you, is close to things you want to do or need to do, such as work or school.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 PM

124 posts, read 409,981 times
I wish people would simply be more honest. Every community has it's assets and drawbacks. I have nothing but respect for west valley citizens who admit they moved there because it was cheaper, more serene and relaxed in general. A lot of these people moved to the west valley to build their dream homes which would have cost a lot more in Scottsdale and other areas of the east valley. But nothing is more irritating when people in the west valley feel the need to compete with people in the west valley by arguing they offer just as many ammenities as the east valley. That's not a slam against the west valley. What do you expect? It's a young and developing community so it's obviously not going to offer the same ammenities as the east valley at this present time. People need to stop being insecure and just accept the reality for what it is. Just because a community is less developed, it doesn't mean it's worse. But some people take it that way and argue silly points.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:14 PM

64 posts, read 185,956 times
You have a lot of replies to your question and I would certainly tell you to heed the advice!! Steer clear of ANY west side towns. Even if the towns themselves are OK... you are still on the west side of phoenix and that is just bad news. Its pretty much par for the course for all murders, rapes, robberies, drug busts, etc... reported on the nightly news to take place in the "Avenues". (All N/S streets west of downtown Phoenix are Avenues. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.. you get the idea). Also, try to stay away from the outer lying areas of Queen Creek and Maricopa. While they are relatively safe, they are remote, commutes are an absolute nightmare, and the schools have a long way to go! Ahwatukee is a nice area, Tempe (although most associate this with college students and can be quite expensive). My top pick would be south Chandler. The schools are excellent. The community overall is safe, your husband will have freeway access for his commute and there is a lot going on in terms of activities for you and your family. Also, south chandler is somewhat more affordable (and newer) than ahwatukee and tempe. But any of the three would be good. You should get a realtor to help you with your search.. its a big city! Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area