U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 08:01 PM

428 posts, read 5,820,155 times

Advertisements

When I say north valley- I mean north of 101. What side of town do you prefer and why? Which side is growing faster? I don't know much about the east valley honestly. A lot of coworkers tell me the NW valley is becoming the "new scottsdale" but on here I get the feeling that the east valley is pretty popular and growing. From my experience, it seems like an easier drive to go west on the 101 than going south. Maybe people really are packing up and leaving scottsdale for the NW side after all, a lot of areas even off FLW are starting to look a bit dated to me now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 09:52 PM

6,640 posts, read 10,398,177 times
Not totally sure, but in the East Valley, there are several fast growing cities or towns, such as Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek, and the eastern part of Mesa, as well as the unincorporated community of San Tan Valley. Mesa and Chandler are the third and fourth largest cities in Arizona, respectively, and I wouldn't be surprised if Gilbert's population eventually surpasses Scottsdale (currently sixth largest) and possibly even Glendale (currently fifth largest) before the 2020 Census. Gilbert surpassed Tempe in population about 10 years ago.

In the North Valley (by your definition), Anthem, Peoria, and Surprise are pretty fast growing. I expect Peoria will surpass Tempe in population by the 2020 Census. Not sure if I would call the Northwest Valley the "new Scottsdale", though.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:40 AM

3,763 posts, read 4,064,905 times
Scottsdale will appeal to a certain crowd...I don't know many long time residents that would want Anthem (horrible commute into downtown) Peoria or Surprise...they are kind of out there...but I guess it depends on where you work. If you are commuting to the North Valley then these are viable alternatives but you have to remember that these areas are going to be newer and only became viable during the housing bubble. Scottsdale didn't have that problem...they are limited to Northern growth due to Phoenix on the west, Tempe to the south and the Reservation to the east, no where to go but north, hence Troon, Desert Mountain, etc. 20 years ago that was all open desert, Bell Road was 2 lanes and stopped at Scottsdale Road then became a dirt road to Hayden. There were horse ranches and Rawhide's original location until you got to Carefree/Cave Creek. The area is a bit dated south of FLW because it was all built in the 70s/80s/90s...not during the housing boom.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Scottsdale will appeal to a certain crowd...I don't know many long time residents that would want Anthem (horrible commute into downtown) Peoria or Surprise...they are kind of out there...but I guess it depends on where you work. If you are commuting to the North Valley then these are viable alternatives but you have to remember that these areas are going to be newer and only became viable during the housing bubble. Scottsdale didn't have that problem...they are limited to Northern growth due to Phoenix on the west, Tempe to the south and the Reservation to the east, no where to go but north, hence Troon, Desert Mountain, etc. 20 years ago that was all open desert, Bell Road was 2 lanes and stopped at Scottsdale Road then became a dirt road to Hayden. There were horse ranches and Rawhide's original location until you got to Carefree/Cave Creek. The area is a bit dated south of FLW because it was all built in the 70s/80s/90s...not during the housing boom.
I do not necessarily mean anthem or surprise. I know there is a bunch of developments between carefree highway and happy valley but I mostly only see starter type/first move up type home developments under construction. I see some semi-luxury homes built before the crash (sonoran) but nothing currently under construction. Is this similar with the east valley- cause I would think in order to lure some higher end people, they need to build a somewhat luxury type home.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3vince View Post
I do not necessarily mean anthem or surprise. I know there is a bunch of developments between carefree highway and happy valley but I mostly only see starter type/first move up type home developments under construction. I see some semi-luxury homes built before the crash (sonoran) but nothing currently under construction. Is this similar with the east valley- cause I would think in order to lure some higher end people, they need to build a somewhat luxury type home.
True...but North Phoenix doesn't have the allure of North Scottsdale. That whole stretch from Bell to Carefree Highway, again, is all recent developments and shopping. It was all open desert up until about 10 years ago...with the exception of Pioneer Village. Plus I am sure the minimum security prison is probably a deterrent. You can't make a place desirable by putting up luxury homes...there has to be a demand for it. The same house we were looking at in Chandler by Pulte homes was $100k less expensive if we wanted to live on I-17 and Jomax...

Old 10-15-2013, 07:25 PM

9,016 posts, read 4,507,918 times
East Valley is way better then Phoenix less crime too.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
True...but North Phoenix doesn't have the allure of North Scottsdale. That whole stretch from Bell to Carefree Highway, again, is all recent developments and shopping. It was all open desert up until about 10 years ago...with the exception of Pioneer Village. Plus I am sure the minimum security prison is probably a deterrent. You can't make a place desirable by putting up luxury homes...there has to be a demand for it. The same house we were looking at in Chandler by Pulte homes was $100k less expensive if we wanted to live on I-17 and Jomax...
After looking at prices of homes, a good many in the area have almost tripled in value in under 15 years. I see a 2000 sq ft near desert ridge that was built for $150k in 97 is now going for $400k. Going a little more west the price per square foot drops from roughly $200 (desert ridge area) to $150-180 (norterra). Not that I even like that area, but it's now becoming the closest new construction to north Scottsdale that a middle class family can afford. Going north of desert ridge gets even more expensive ($220/ sq ft) than some of the closer parts of scottsdale such as the airpark zipcode 85260. I don't understand that.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3vince View Post
After looking at prices of homes, a good many in the area have almost tripled in value in under 15 years. I see a 2000 sq ft near desert ridge that was built for $150k in 97 is now going for $400k. Going a little more west the price per square foot drops from roughly $200 (desert ridge area) to $150-180 (norterra). Not that I even like that area, but it's now becoming the closest new construction to north Scottsdale that a middle class family can afford. Going north of desert ridge gets even more expensive ($220/ sq ft) than some of the closer parts of scottsdale such as the airpark zipcode 85260. I don't understand that.
Pretty sure that is because of their proximity to the Sonoran Preserve. Don't get me wrong...it is a nice area, just historically not desirable. As the prices move up it will naturally evolve into a desirable area...not sure what the school district is like there though either. Scottsdale has one of the best districts but you have to put up with the "keeping up with the Joneses" stigma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>