Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:17 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Snow doesn't sting your kids. he he
I think shoveling snow would just be a better idea.
What kinds of house critters are poisonous out in your area? Is there an equivalent to the scorpion in your house you have to watch for? Just curious if anyone else deals with this kind of thing.
People in many areas deal with ticks that carry Lyme Disease. Lyme disease is serious causing all sorts of suffering and even death. It is a much more serious health risk than a scorpion sting. I guess ticks are not in houses though. In Oklahoma where I have a house, there are brown recluse spiders everywhere. Their bites can be much worse than the temporary sting of a scorpion. They have a lot of black widows too, though we have our share in AZ. My point is that there are nasty bugs just about everywhere. You can't move somewhere and be free of them except maybe the south pole or something.

You must be doing something right to be avoiding scorpions. So wherever you decide to move follow the same practices. Steve-O is right. Nobody can guarantee a scorpion free house in S. AZ. They live here too - in great numbers. Get it checked out like Capt Bill says for peace of mind. Then spray for bugs scorpions like to feed on, keep the doors closed etc. I would tell you relax, but that ain't gonna happen .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 02:36 PM

39 posts, read 121,562 times
I think I learned one time that pets are immune to scorpion stings. Meaning it won't harm them.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:56 PM

338 posts, read 1,624,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveAZ View Post
I think I learned one time that pets are immune to scorpion stings. Meaning it won't harm them.
I was told by Poison control that they have never heard of a dog dying from a scorpion sting but the smaller the dog is, the more affected they could be. I have never heard of a dog being immuned though. I wish they were then I would not have to worry.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveAZ View Post
The only thing immune to scorpion stings are scorpions. Male scorpions actually sting female scorpions as sort of a pre-mating "ritual" if you will.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:40 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
People in many areas deal with ticks that carry Lyme Disease. Lyme disease is serious causing all sorts of suffering and even death. It is a much more serious health risk than a scorpion sting. I guess ticks are not in houses though. In Oklahoma where I have a house, there are brown recluse spiders everywhere. Their bites can be much worse than the temporary sting of a scorpion
True, ticks can carry Lyme disease. Contracting Lyme disease is very rare, considering how many ticks find a human host each year. Ive had to pull MANY ticks off of me, never had anything bad happen.

As for the recluse spider, yes, OK is infested with them. But like a bark scorpion sting, youll only have bad effects of the sting if youre allergic. People make recluse spiders out to be some kind of horrid monster. Sure theyve caused a few people to need amputations here and there, but those are only on folks who just have a horrid reaction to the cytotoxic venom, which are few and far between. Most recluse bites are completely harmless. My 5 year old nephew in Manhattan, KS was bit this summer (I confirmed it was a recluse via photo) and only had a small red bump and a slight fever that lasted only a little over an hour.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:47 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, all spiders are venomous, and we have many here in IL, but none are dangerous up by me. We do have the brown recluse and black widow in southern IL, thats about it. There are 4 species of venomous snakes here too, even some in the Chicagoland area (Sistrurus catenatus--eastern massasauga rattlesnake), but theyre ultra-rare. Ive been searching for them for years and havent even found a trace of their existance, although a dog was bit by one a little north of here last summer. Northwest Herald - Local News and Video for McHenry County, Illinois - Rare rattlesnake bites local canine

But to answer your question, we dont have anything to worry about. No killer bees, only one ultra-rare venomous snake, no scorpions, no black widows, no brown recluses, no flying cockroaches. About the only thing that is bothersome are the mosquitos which can be a pain at times.

One more thing: hardly anyone shovels anymore. Snowblowers take all the work out of it. I think I used mine a whopping total of 3 times last year. Im wishing I could use it more actually, its kinda fun. lol
Sounds like the biting stinging critters like warmer climates! Am I right about that? I figure you would know. And the snowblower does sound like fun. My kids would love the snow! I know in New England nobody feared anything like that but the ticks. They say if you don't have a dog and cover up when in the woods you'll probably never get one on you. The only real complaint they have is the snow. I can't imagine looking for a home and not having to worry about stinging creepy creatures. It would be nice to just look at the way it looked.
Does the snow really wear you out like people say, make you depressed all the time? It sounds like fun to me, I love the seasons changing. Oh well, thanks for all your help.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
People in many areas deal with ticks that carry Lyme Disease. Lyme disease is serious causing all sorts of suffering and even death. It is a much more serious health risk than a scorpion sting. I guess ticks are not in houses though. In Oklahoma where I have a house, there are brown recluse spiders everywhere. Their bites can be much worse than the temporary sting of a scorpion. They have a lot of black widows too, though we have our share in AZ. My point is that there are nasty bugs just about everywhere. You can't move somewhere and be free of them except maybe the south pole or something. (do they have nice homes there?) lol

You must be doing something right to be avoiding scorpions. So wherever you decide to move follow the same practices. Steve-O is right. Nobody can guarantee a scorpion free house in S. AZ. They live here too - in great numbers. Get it checked out like Capt Bill says for peace of mind. Then spray for bugs scorpions like to feed on, keep the doors closed etc. I would tell you relax, but that ain't gonna happen .
No, your right, I should relax but it's hard when it comes to the thought of a scorpion infested house. I have been lucky so far and I know that, I just think about moving into a house where I have to worry about that and don't want to. I'm spoiled not having them, I like it. I guess I'm not a real Arizonian. There are things I love here, but the scorpions and bee's( i'm allergic) I hate. One sting sucks but a pack of bee's is a horrific adventure.
I have never been attacked by bee's either. So maybe I should just "chill".

Old 11-19-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
I live near Gilbert and Ray and have not seen any at my home. I moved there in 2004. We had a pool and landscaping done this summer, still have not see them. Years back I had a home near McClintock and Baseline. We had loads of them. I would get guys to spary and it never helped. Finally, I bouught the 'spray stuff" and did it myself and it helped alot. The reason they were going in (from what I was told) was the 101 was being built at the time and it was driving scorpions to neighboring areas. None of us ever got stung by one, but they were certainly there.
But in my current home? I have not seen a single one...and I do know what to look for.
Thanks, that's a cute area too.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Our home that is being built comes with some kind of wall mounted receptacle where an extrerminator sprays something in the exterior walls every three months or so. Anyone else have that and does it work to help keep them out of your home?
I've heard of that. I bet that works better than spraying out side.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutha1105 View Post

Can't stop laughing!!!!!! Thanks for the biggest laugh of the past month
He he he he he he he he. your welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area