Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:55 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,076,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have seen Ninja scorpions bust concrete with their tails.
I can't believe how funny that was!!!!!!!!!! I am still laughing my butt off!!!!!
It's so funny when you boys get together.
Ok, so now I'm relaxing!!!!
he he he he, that was funny, truly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 12:56 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,076,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ive seen concrete ninjas bust tails with their scorpions.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:25 PM

96 posts, read 441,795 times
I have lived in AZ for 22 years, and the first scorpion I saw was two years ago when I moved into my newly constructed home. Since that time, I've seen one on the back patio, one out front on the stucco, one in the garage and three in the house. Unfortunately for me, the last one I saw was Friday night, and it stung me. I was just walking by my couch, put my foot down and felt this sharp, stabbing pain. When I looked down to see what the heck I could have stepped on, I saw it scurry under my sectional. It was incredibly painful but nothing that couldn't be dealt with. I like to tell people that I've come face to face with my biggest fear and survived.
Don't get me wrong. I don't ever want to be stung again, but at least I know my reaction.

I attached (hopefully) a few pictures of my attacker. Poor thing had his pincer removed by the tongs my husband was wielding. Don't ask.
I wish I had thought to put something next to the scorpion to compare size. Oh well. I tried to get a blacklight picture, but it didn't turn out too nice.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Don't lecture me on not being afraid of scorpions!-black-light.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Don't lecture me on not being afraid of scorpions!-scorpion-missing-pincer.jpg   Don't lecture me on not being afraid of scorpions!-up-close.jpg  

Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Thats a small female Centruroides exilicauda/sculpturatus (aka bark scorpion). Those have excruciatingly painful stings and are considered a medically significant species.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:53 AM

376 posts, read 489,921 times
I know that my friends who live out in the sticks get way more than anyone I know intown, myself included. So, we all have our own opinions about this one.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:13 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asugraduate View Post
I have lived in AZ for 22 years, and the first scorpion I saw was two years ago when I moved into my newly constructed home. Since that time, I've seen one on the back patio, one out front on the stucco, one in the garage and three in the house. Unfortunately for me, the last one I saw was Friday night, and it stung me. I was just walking by my couch, put my foot down and felt this sharp, stabbing pain. When I looked down to see what the heck I could have stepped on, I saw it scurry under my sectional. It was incredibly painful but nothing that couldn't be dealt with. I like to tell people that I've come face to face with my biggest fear and survived.
Don't get me wrong. I don't ever want to be stung again, but at least I know my reaction.

I attached (hopefully) a few pictures of my attacker. Poor thing had his pincer removed by the tongs my husband was wielding. Don't ask.
I wish I had thought to put something next to the scorpion to compare size. Oh well. I tried to get a blacklight picture, but it didn't turn out too nice.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 10593[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Thanks for the pics asugraduate, Those are great!!!

Bill

Old 11-22-2007, 08:35 AM

647 posts, read 3,340,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Does anyone live in an area of South Chandler (Ocotillo) or Queen Creek, South Gilbert, that doesn't have a scorpion problem> or do you all have them once in awhile? Please, no lectures on how i should just learn to live with them. I don't want to live with them, I don't now and I don't want to if I move either. I have no intentions of getting into a scorpion debate with anyone, just let me know where you live and if you see them there or not. I know how you feel about them on here and how you feel about anyone who worries about bugs so you don't need to tell me again. Please, if you know of an area that might not have them in every house let me know. Thanks. I don't need to know what kind of psychologist you want me to see, ok, Thanks.
I've lived in that area (south Chandler and south Gilbert), in 4 different houses, and have never seen a scorpion (knock wood). Yes, they're here, and yes, there's a chance I could see one today. However, after much research (in places OTHER then this board), I've learned that scorpion stings are not something I should be terrified of, and I shouldn't greatly alter my life to avoid them. We most certainly do NOT black light our beds every night before bed - aside from a few people on this board, I've never heard of anyone doing that, and I know people who've lived in AZ their whole lives. If I were THAT terrified of getting into bed every night, I'd move outta here so fast my head would spin. That's no way to live your life.

We spray monthly and we have pesticide tubes built into the house which are filled by the pest service. I try to be diligent about not leaving food and crumbs out, but we're not always successful. I've got all my fingers and toes crossed that we never see a scorpion, but I feel that way about all creepy crawlies and snakes too. I saw more of both living back east then I have here.

As for New England - you'll see LOTS of bugs and snakes up there. Most homes are older and not as weather proofed as AZ homes are, so don't think you'll be getting away from them by moving to New England. And don't go hiking at all either - we saw lots of snakes and bugs hiking in New England and the mid-Atlantic region.

If your primary fear is scorpions, I'd recommend leaving AZ (though they have them in lots of other states too - I recently saw a story on the news about an elementary aged boy in CA who was playing football in his backyard and was stung by a scorpion). But if you're afraid of bugs in general, you're going to have to deal with them everywhere.

Frankly, after reading so many of your posts talking about how many things you hate about AZ, I'm surprised you'd even consider an in-state move. Every time I've recommended to you that you move out of state, you've said you would if you could in a second. Maybe this brief cool weather spell has made you forget about all those things you hate Selling your home in this market won't be fun, and you'd have to hold onto your new house for years before selling if you want any appreciation. If I were you, I'd stay in your current house since you know you don't have scorpions there, and just concentrate on researching new states.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:54 AM

96 posts, read 441,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats a small female Centruroides exilicauda/sculpturatus (aka bark scorpion). Those have excruciatingly painful stings and are considered a medically significant species.
Yup, and unfortunately for me, they are the most common ones in my area. It felt like an electric current was running through my body. Less than 10 minutes after being stung in the foot, the pain had reached my lower back. About an hour later my tongue and face were tingly. 14 1/2 hours after being stung, when I woke up in the morning, both hands and feet had pins and needles running through them. This happened on and off all day. By the following morning, just the foot that was stung had some pain at the sight and pins and needles. 6 days later I have no feeling in my little toe.

Being a teacher, I had to write a story for my students (we're working on using good word choice) as well as bring in the deceased scorpion and black light for them to see. It was neat to see their reactions!

Old 11-22-2007, 10:01 AM

57 posts, read 167,511 times
I have lived in Glendale the far west side and Have only seen 2 in 7 years

Old 11-23-2007, 08:48 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,338 times
Default Two scorpion experiences

The first was in the mountains south of Tucson, AZ. My girlfriend and I were camping out, and I was making a ring of rocks for a campfire...turned one over and there one was.

She was in our tent in about two seconds, zipped the door up to right under her nose, and spent the rest of the evening trying to get me in there, too..."Honey...it's not safe out there..."

They didn't bother me.

The second was in Death Valley. One of my taillights went out, and I went to the garage in Furnace Creek to get it replaced. I had to use the restroom, and one crawled out from under the toilet. This one I killed. I really had to grind it under my boot, they're leathery little suckers.

On my way out, I said to the mechanic, "Sorry, dude; I think I f---ed up your little pet in there." He grinned, and said, "I'll add it to your bill."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area