Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 08:31 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,160 times

Advertisements

I would move to Phoenix, in certain districts (Biltmore, Arcadia, and along N. Central Avenue). I think every area has good and bad, so it's very hard to generalize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 08:33 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Saying you would never move to Phoenix itself doesn't make any sense. Phoenix is not like other cities where there's a black and white difference between being in the "city" and being in the "suburbs." The whole entire Valley of the Sun is one giant suburbia, and huge parts of the city of Phoenix are just as nice, new, attractive, and "suburban" as the "suburbs" in the East or West valleys. I would recommend Ahwatukee, Paradise Valley (the section of Phoenix north of the "Town of Paradise Valley"), and most of far north Phoenix-- they are all pretty decent.
I agree. But, we try to call that area NE Phx, as some delusional people think they live IN PV. I've met a few that say, "I live in Paradise Valley", when really they live in a crappy apt just south of the PV Mall.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:00 PM

5 posts, read 55,008 times
Lovely!!!!

Old 11-24-2007, 09:12 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Ok, it's Saturday night, and this is my idea of fun. I have a totally different way that I split up the Valley of the Sun. It might seem weird, but here me out!

"The Urban Rectangle"-- bounded by Downtown Phoenix on the sw corner, going up Central to Camelback, then Camelback from Central east to the Biltmore area, all the way east to downtown Scottsdale, then Scottsdale Rd all the way to Rural Rd in Tempe, then Apache, skirting south of ASU into Mill Ave, then following Washington St/ Sky Harbor Airport west until you hit downtown Phoenix again. One thing I've discovered after living here for almost four years is that 75% of all the "big city fun stuff" there is to do in Phoenix (sports stadiums, clubs, bars, shopping, restaurants), almost all of the high rise office buildings, the airport, the majority of the light rail line, almost all of the key museums, the university (ASU), and Phoenix's flagship Park (Papago Park) are located along or very close to the perimeter of this 8x6 mi rectangle.

"Northeast Valley"= northeast Phoenix (east of Cave Creek Rd), Paradise Valley, Cave Creek, Carefree, Scottsdale, and Fountain Hills.

"East Valley"= Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek, Apache Junction (yes it's in Pinal County, but it feels like a continuous extension of East Mesa), Ahwatukee (you have to go through the east valley just to get there)

"Pinal County satelite cities"= Maricopa, Casa Grande, the Pinal County part of Queen Creek, Coolidge, Florence.

"Central Phoenix"= everything east of I-17, south of the North Mountain and Phoenix mountains, north of the Salt River, east until the Tempe/Scottsdale border.

"South Phoenix/Laveen"= everything south of the Salt River

"Northwest Valley"= North/northwest Phoenix (west of 7th St, north of Bell Rd), north Glendale, north Peoria, north Surprise, Sun City West, Anthem.

"The West Valley"= everything west of I-17, south of Bell Rd, until you hit the white Tanks. This includes a huge chunk of the city of Phoenix, a huge part of Glendale, Peoria, and Surprise, and all of Buckeye, Avondale, Tolleson, and Goodyear.

Here we go:

Old 11-25-2007, 01:13 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Not bad, vegaspilgrim. I kinda think in those terms and boundaries as well, however, I'd debate some of the boundary lines.

This is just my opinion, but I think the NW valley starts at the 17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area