Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 06:12 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,489,851 times

Advertisements

I've decided to come out to satisfy my curiosity. It looks like I may be able to get a plane ticket in the $300.00 range. I want to make the arrangements today, if possible.The cost of hotels are high. Can anyone recommend a safe cheap place a single woman can stay? I want to stay for a week or a little longer if I can get a cheap place to stay. I've been advised that Tempe is a good place to stay for a black, single 40 year old woman without kids. I only mention my race because I do not want to be steered towards any closed communities. I am not interested in living in a predominately minority neighborhood either. Tempe sounds good but I do not want live in an area dominated by students. I am really looking for a neighborhood. I understand my job dictates where I should live. I've applied to one job in Tempe thus far. I am also interested in Gilbert. I like the convenience of the city but I do not like the noise.

I guess my ideal location would enable me to rent a small home in a safe community easily accessible to amenities such as the grocery store, restaurants and shops. I would also like views of the mountains, if possible.

I appreciate any help that you can provide. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 07:11 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I've decided to come out to satisfy my curiosity. It looks like I may be able to get a plane ticket in the $300.00 range. I want to make the arrangements today, if possible.The cost of hotels are high. Can anyone recommend a safe cheap place a single woman can stay? I want to stay for a week or a little longer if I can get a cheap place to stay. I've been advised that Tempe is a good place to stay for a black, single 40 year old woman without kids. I only mention my race because I do not want to be steered towards any closed communities. I am not interested in living in a predominately minority neighborhood either. Tempe sounds good but I do not want live in an area dominated by students. I am really looking for a neighborhood. I understand my job dictates where I should live. I've applied to one job in Tempe thus far. I am also interested in Gilbert. I like the convenience of the city but I do not like the noise.

I guess my ideal location would enable me to rent a small home in a safe community easily accessible to amenities such as the grocery store, restaurants and shops. I would also like views of the mountains, if possible.

I appreciate any help that you can provide. Thank you.
Told you before and I will repeat it: Ahwatukee. It should be on your list. This is an upscale area that is convenient to most of the metro - and it has mountain views that you said mattered to you. It is generally south of Elliot Road and west of I-10. There are hotels there - one, the Arizona Grand, is probably at the high end, but look for hotels in Chandler. Chandler is across the freeway (east) from the Ahwatukee area. I doubt there is anything in Chandler that is not safe and they have all the chains and then some.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 12-04-2013 at 07:33 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 07:30 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
Ponderosa is right on here. Go to some of the websites for hotel rooms and see if you can find a deal. Any of the chain motels (and they are all there) surrounding I-10 from Baseline down to Pecos Rd will be a good place to stay while you look around.

Ahwatukee is a good choice. The part of Tempe away from the immediate campus area is very different from the campus part. Most of us wouldn't even know that ASU is there, in terms of going about our daily lives. It's just a very nice suburb with a high quality of life. The mountain views in Ahwatukee are closer, though.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Told you before and I will repeat it: Ahwahtukee. It should be on your list. This is an upscale area that is convenient to most of the metro - and it has mountain views that you said mattered to you. It is generally south of Elliot Road and west of I-10. There are hotels there - one, the Arizona Grand, is probably at the high end, but look for hotels in Chandler. Chandler is across the freeway (east) from the Ahwahtukee area. I doubt there is anything in Chandler that is not safe and they have all the chains and then some.
I found a hotel in Tempe within my price range. It is within walking distance of several amenities. There is also a light rail within walking distance. I will look into hotels in Chandler now. Thanks.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:36 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,658,132 times
If you're OK with not knowing where you'll stay until the day of your trip, try the Hotels Tonight app. They release hotels at noon or 1pm (can't remember) daily and there are always some REALLY good deals. A regular on there is the Sahuaro in Old Town usually for around $69/night. Hotwire is also a fun one to roll the dice with. Just select your desired area, go for at least a 4 star and you can't lose.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:57 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I found a hotel in Tempe within my price range. It is within walking distance of several amenities. There is also a light rail within walking distance. I will look into hotels in Chandler now. Thanks.

If you found that, you should be fine. Proximity to the Light Rail is a plus. Send me a direct message if you want more info on the area of the Tempe hotel you found.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 AM

I can't believe this but I am coming for a week long visit. I decided to stay in Tempe and be close to the light rail. I certainly will visit Ahwahtukee, Chandler and Gilbert as possible places to live. Any other places I should check out? I am excited!!! I did not know that I was going to do this until this morning. Wish me luck!

Old 12-04-2013, 10:01 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,236,463 times
Light rail can get you to the hotel from the airport and through parts of tempe, downtown phoenix, central corridor and a little bit more into the city ....

If you are on the light rail there is a good chance you're going to be somewhat close to ASU - not a bad thing, but something to keep in mind if you are trying to evaluate Tempe from that location - the light rail does not serve a good portion of the city of Tempe, let alone the Phoenix metro

Tempe does have a free shuttle route called Orbit - multiple routes tie into light rail/bus areas and residential neighborhoods .... you could potentially use this to explore Tempe a bit
City of Tempe, AZ : Orbit

http://www.tempe.gov/modules/showdoc...cumentid=15879

however, the area is massive and I would highly recommend getting a car for the full week .... if you can't swing it then at least get one for 2 days - you can usually find better deals away from the airport

I think that is a surprising thing when people get here .... just how large the geography is ...... you could spend a day each working through areas of gilbert, tempe, mesa, etc and it can wear you out a bit

People are also surprised at the construct of the city - it sounds like you've had at least one prior thread so this may be repeating some information, but by and large the city isn't loud - the city is mainly suburban, residential developments with strip malls and small commercial centers that repeat more miles on end .... downtown is relatively small and not nearly as dense, loud, busy, etc as other large cities

There are some pockets of mainly first generation hispanics as far as homogenous neighborhoods that do have some size, but by and large there aren't a bunch of ethnic neighborhoods like you find in other cities

Most neighborhoods are going to be somewhat convenient to shopping, mainly quiet, etc. Schools probably aren't going to be as important for your situation so I'm not sure if I would pay a premium to just rent in an area that zones better.

Check out a whole bunch of areas .... Ahwahtukee sounds like it would be a really nice match, so does Tempe (my friends dad lives in south Tempe and you'd never know there was a university in the city - the neighborhood is very middle class & middle aged)

Your basic needs can be met all over the city in a wide range of areas .... since you are going to rent you have flexibility ..... before coming out I'd look at more job centers and honestly I would apply all over the city - it's harder to get a good job than it is to find a place to rent that fits your needs

Old 12-04-2013, 11:06 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Light rail can get you to the hotel from the airport and through parts of tempe, downtown phoenix, central corridor and a little bit more into the city ....

If you are on the light rail there is a good chance you're going to be somewhat close to ASU - not a bad thing, but something to keep in mind if you are trying to evaluate Tempe from that location - the light rail does not serve a good portion of the city of Tempe, let alone the Phoenix metro

Tempe does have a free shuttle route called Orbit - multiple routes tie into light rail/bus areas and residential neighborhoods .... you could potentially use this to explore Tempe a bit

however, the area is massive and I would highly recommend getting a car for the full week .... if you can't swing it then at least get one for 2 days - you can usually find better deals away from the airport

I think that is a surprising thing when people get here .... just how large the geography is ...... you could spend a day each working through areas of gilbert, tempe, mesa, etc and it can wear you out a bit

People are also surprised at the construct of the city - it sounds like you've had at least one prior thread so this may be repeating some information, but by and large the city isn't loud - the city is mainly suburban, residential developments with strip malls and small commercial centers that repeat more miles on end .... downtown is relatively small and not nearly as dense, loud, busy, etc as other large cities

There are some pockets of mainly first generation hispanics as far as homogenous neighborhoods that do have some size, but by and large there aren't a bunch of ethnic neighborhoods like you find in other cities

Most neighborhoods are going to be somewhat convenient to shopping, mainly quiet, etc. Schools probably aren't going to be as important for your situation so I'm not sure if I would pay a premium to just rent in an area that zones better.

Check out a whole bunch of areas .... Ahwahtukee sounds like it would be a really nice match, so does Tempe (my friends dad lives in south Tempe and you'd never know there was a university in the city - the neighborhood is very middle class & middle aged)

Your basic needs can be met all over the city in a wide range of areas .... since you are going to rent you have flexibility ..... before coming out I'd look at more job centers and honestly I would apply all over the city - it's harder to get a good job than it is to find a place to rent that fits your needs
If that doesn't sum it up, nothing does

Old 12-04-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

Thank you so much for your help. Money is tight but driving around in an unfamiliar place scares me. I will look into what my options are when I arrive. I understand the location of my job will determine where I ultimately live. My lease is going to end in February and I really do not want to stay here. It can't hurt to start the job search now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area