Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,776 times

Advertisements

First Post Ever!!!

First off, I want to immediately apologize for making any annoying newbie mistakes on here, such as repeating questions that have already been posted, but I'm sort of in a hurry.

So my story is... Just had an interview this morning for a retail management position here in the Chicagoland area. Basically, I was originally applying for an Assistant Manager position, but the District Manager thought I might actually be more suited for a General Manager position. (double my current salary? okay!) Only catch is, you guessed it - the job is in Phoenix. (actually, there was an opening in Fresno, CA as well, but after some very quick research, that's a no-go) So now I'm supposed to be receiving a call from the District Manager out there in the next day or two to be further interviewed, and I'd not only like to be a little more informed about Phoenix by then (been on this site all day, it's great!), but would also like to either feel genuine enthusiasm for the area so it comes across in the phone interview, or to know with as much certainty as is possible (with only one or two days of research) that Phoenix just isn't for me and my family.

If you're still reading this, I thank you. So a little more info: All I know about where the job is located is that's it's in the "North Mountain" area. Oh yeah, did I mention I've never been to Phoenix? I don't know how big of an area North Mountain is, or if that's too vague of a description. I looked at a map, but didn't see the name "North Mountain" anywhere. Is that just a local description of a huge area, or a specific town? I admit, I didn't thoroughly look at the map, I'll be honest and say that I'm going to be very busy in the next couple of days leading up to this phone call, so I'm kinda hoping that all you awesome regular posters on here can help me out. (and don't worry, I'll be sure to let you guys know how this story ends. I feel bad reading threads from other would-be movers who get all this help from the regular posters, and then don't follow up with how it all worked out, that's just plain rude IMO)

Anyway, just wondering what type of area this North Mountain is: safety, demographics ,etc. Obviously, I'd prefer living right where I work, but am definitely willing to commute if the area doesn't fit our needs/wants. I should mention here that a 30 min commute is no problem, and would even do up to 1 hour each way if needs be.

Okay, so a little bit about us... the wife and I are in our 30's, with a 3 yr old. We're what some might consider the "aging hipster type", for those of you that know what that means. (hate the "H" word, and normally would never apply it to myself, in true hipster fashion, but for sake of time, let's cut the B.S.) For those that don't know what I'm talking about, a quick generalization would be: Not college kids anymore, (not allergic to them either) we like areas with parks and other kid-friendly amenities, (SAFETY IS #1 CONCERN) but we're not interested in a cookie-cutter bland suburb either. Looking for a town/neighborhood where we can maybe catch a live show every once in a while, that offers plenty of eclectic cuisine, breweries and coffeehouses, vintage shops, etc., and hopefully some interesting architecture. (I keep hearing of how Phoenix is a newer city, but c'mon, it's at least 100 yrs old, right?, it has to have some historical neighborhoods)

I realize this is a tall list, but what do you say? Is there anywhere in Phoenix that matches this description, and dare I ask, for around $1000 a month average in rent? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 08:04 AM

640 posts, read 958,848 times
North Mountain is basically SW of 7th St and Thunderbird in North Phoenix, that should help you locate it on the map. Sounds like you are going to want to look at places south of North Mountain, roughly from McDowell to Northern, and 7th Ave to the 51 freeway. That should get you started.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:17 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,487,367 times
That job puts you pretty close to Sunnyslope. If you are willing to be an urban pioneer there are some cool Mid-Century Modern neighborhoods in that general area. MCM is about as close as Phoenix gets to historical neighborhoods that are fairly affordable. There are some older historical neighborhoods, but they are pretty small and somewhat expensive. That area also has great access to probably (in my opinion) the best network of urban trails for a major metro area. Puts you within a few minutes of miles and miles of singletrack for running, hiking and mountain biking.

One thing to remember about Phoenix is that our zoning is kind of funky. So you can be in an expensive neighborhood of $500,000 homes in north central Phoenix and two blocks away it's kind of sketchy.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:49 AM

2,154 posts, read 5,181,777 times
Actually there are some pretty cool neighborhoods in near North Phoenix and Mid-town. If you do not know Phoenix this may not mean much to you but...

The corridor between 7th St & 7th Ave from about Camelback to Glendale has lots of options. The closer to Central Ave. the better. Another area I like is the section around 16th St between Missouri & Maryland, nice homes, good schools. These areas might compare favorably with some north side Chicago neighborhoods, although you won't see 3 flats here. Most homes here are single stories except apartments and condos.

Anyway, depending on your budget, you should be able to find some nice housing in the city. You won't have to feel like you sold out and you can still have an easy commute. Get a map and look at it, see where your work location will be and then start researching neighborhoods.

Last edited by AZJoeD; 02-13-2014 at 10:03 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 10:46 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Actually there are some pretty cool neighborhoods in near North Phoenix and Mid-town. If you do not know Phoenix this may not mean much to you but...

The corridor between 7th St & 7th Ave from about Camelback to Glendale has lots of options. The closer to Central Ave. the better. Another area I like is the section around 16th St between Missouri & Maryland, nice homes, good schools. These areas might compare favorably with some north side Chicago neighborhoods, although you won't see 3 flats here. Most homes here are single stories except apartments and condos.

Anyway, depending on your budget, you should be able to find some nice housing in the city. You won't have to feel like you sold out and you can still have an easy commute. Get a map and look at it, see where your work location will be and then start researching neighborhoods.
These areas are among those I'd suggest, too. The central Phoenix/north central Phoenix area is much less "cookie cutter" than the suburbs, generally. You might also want to look even a bit further north, from Northern up to a half mile or so north of Shea Blvd, both east and west of Hwy 51. Do get a good map and look up all the suggested areas on it, to give you a picture of where they are in relation to the work location.

Last edited by observer53; 02-14-2014 at 04:39 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 01:30 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,111,276 times
The Moon Valley area is a very good area. It is near 7th St/Thunderbird. Very nice neighborhoods with ranch styled properties, mature landscaping, well kept and mostly owner occupied. I like that part of town very much.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:44 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,285,716 times
If you look on a map at 7th St as it passes the Pointe Resort (South of Thunderbird Rd), that is where North Mountain is. Generally just South of North Mountain can be a great area and is more "hipster" but with safety being your #1 concern and a budget of only $1,000, your options will be limited and not knowing the area you could end up in an unsafe area easily. Like an above poster mentioned, the central corridor is great, however it is pricey (large lots, estate type properties) Think $2,500++/month rentals. I second the Moon Valley recommendation (North of Thunderbird Rd, West of 7th St). That's a country club community with houses built primarily in the 1970's, some are luxury, some are more basic, but it's not cookie cutter. If you look just south of Thunderbird or East of 7th Streets you get to some hillside properties with city light views. I think realistically your budget needs to be more in the $1300-1400 range at a minimum in this area though. The same price range may also work in the area around Bethany Home Rd/7th Ave for a smaller house.

BTW, "North Mountain" can be a big area, this could be far from where work will actually be.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,776 times
Wow, thanks everyone for the help! I'm going to look into your recommended areas right away. Haven't got the call yet, but I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Oh, and I got the exact address of where I'd be working. Without giving too much info out (you never know who's a creeper), I guess it's around (not in) the MetroCenter Mall. I hope I don't offend anyone here, but a quick search of the immediate area was a little disappointing. No biggie, like I said, I'm willing to commute from a more desirable neighborhood/town, but any opinions on the safety of that area to work in? (dealing with the general public, keep in mind) I did look it up on Area Vibes, but not familiar enough with that site to know how bad is bad. I suppose I need to go back and compare to areas in Chicago that I'm familiar with.

Also, totally random, but I get the impression snakes are nothing one really has to worry about in the city, but you obviously may encounter them out in the desert. IFI get this job, the thing I'm most looking forward to (besides the pay increase) is getting out there and appreciating the desert environment, having hardly been exposed to it up until now. I'm definitely not a big risk taker, I don't plan on straying from the well worn paths or anything, and I'm not an idiot, if I did come across anything, I'm not going to intentionally do anything to provoke it, but that being said, I'm just wondering, what is the likelihood of crossing paths with potentially dangerous wildlife in the area? snakes? scorpions? any lethal spiders? mountain lions? bears? (try not to laugh too hard at the city-slicker) Once again I apologize, I realize I could easily look all this up myself, but to be honest, I quit my job last week, and so right now I'm pretty busy applying/interviewing with places. Any and all help won't go unappreciated, and hopefully someday I can return the favor on here.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:16 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,487,367 times
Used to live around the Metro Center area and am quite familiar with the area. Try looking around the neighborhoods between 19th Avenue and 16th Street and south of Dunlap. Keeps you within a 10-20 minute drive to work, interesting MCM neighborhoods and easy access to Phoenix Mtn Preserve.

As far as running into critters on the trail the chances are slim to none. You will see coyotes, but unless you are walking your dog off leash you have nothing to worry about. Have never seen a snake anywhere in the preserve and I did a lot of hiking and running on & off trail over the years. Did get attacked by killer bees last year on North Mountain, but I was bushwacking off trail and nowhere near a regularly used trail.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:06 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,285,716 times
You really only see snakes if you are hiking in the Summer. I'm one of those idiots that goes hiking in 110 degree heat and I have seen snakes in the hills. You just need to watch where you are stepping. I also ran into a rattlesnake when I was looking at a potential investment property in Phoenix, again it was in the Summer and I was standing at the edge of a covered patio and it was right below me about 2 feet away. I only noticed it when it rattled. This was in an area with large lots on the edge of the desert with all kinds of other wildlife, you don't need to worry about them in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area