Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 08:09 PM

33 posts, read 70,947 times

Advertisements

Im planning a retreat for a group of 10-14 people, we definitely would love to stay in a home in the hills/with views, a pool is necessary, looking for places that really capture the beauty of the architecture and landscape in the area but we don't want to be too far out from shopping, nightlife, etc. I'm guessing the budget will be 500-800/night, what areas will provide housing/views , but I'd like to narrow down areas as well as resources to find these rentals). Also, what's considered peak season in the Phoenix area?
[edit- copyright]

Last edited by observer53; 12-14-2013 at 01:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times
Paradise Valley and Scottsdale. Winter is peak. I think you'll need to up the budget for that.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:44 PM

33 posts, read 70,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Paradise Valley and Scottsdale. Winter is peak. I think you'll need to up the budget for that.
So would Sept be off peak? Most of the rentals I've seen thus far actually had higher off-peak prices which seems counterintuitive to me based on other markets (although it's a sound financial move)

Old 12-14-2013, 04:43 AM

9,797 posts, read 11,196,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-DC-CHI View Post
So would Sept be off peak? Most of the rentals I've seen thus far actually had higher off-peak prices which seems counterintuitive to me based on other markets (although it's a sound financial move)
I use to rent out our place by the week. February to early April is peak. Even the junkiest places eventually rent at peak. You need to be looking 8-12 months in advance for peak timeline. Thanksgiving week and Christmas week are a close 2nd. January also rents out pretty easy as well as April. Some home owners will decide to price it identically for the times that are close to peak. The nicer the place, the easier it is to rent so long as it is priced competitively. The more rooms there are, the more expensive it is too. I use to charge more $$'s for more people (I had a 5 bedroom). This will be a common theme (from $20-$50 more per person after 4 or 6 people). That said, I would not rent my place out to 14 people and you will run into this often. That is way too much wear-and-tear and it wasn't respectful to my neighbors having 14 people coming and going. I capped my 5 bedroom at 8 people with an adder per person per night after 4. I strongly preferred maybe three couples total. So anyone who rents to 14 people (on average) will have a massive estate and your will be looking at spending a lot more.

Off peak is June to October 1st. We shut things down during that time period because cooling costs would be too high and other people that rented in our area didn't charge enough to make it worth the hassle. Therefore we blocked off our calendars.

VRBO is probably your best bet to rent. Even at $800 per night, I don't think you can find a spot for 14 people. My free advice is to cap it to 10 people and $800 a night is doable. For 14 people, that's $57 per night per person. That's not a realistic number for a 7 or 8 bedroom home in the hills that costs $2M-$5M dollars.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:44 AM

175 posts, read 492,224 times
VRBO.com has a lot of options.

example...8bedroom villa

McCormick Ranch Vacation Rental - VRBO 934433ha - 8 BR Scottsdale Apartment in AZ, Scottsdale: 12 Room Private Golf- & Lakeview Resort Villa

Old 12-14-2013, 08:01 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times
That's a great location. It is a patio home though.

EDIT: actually I think it's a hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: