Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 08:59 PM

114 posts, read 241,311 times

Advertisements

So I'm getting a job transfer to Phoenix in 2014 and next month I'll be looking at areas to live. I've been to visit a few times and I like the North Valley area up around Bell Rd near Desert Ridge and North Scottsdale, and I have looked online at what appear to be nice resort style apartment complexes so that's one option.

However recently I've entertained the idea of perhaps living along the light rail line, and have noticed there are some reasonably priced apartments that I'd like to take a gander at as well, along Central Ave near downtown/Roosevelt and up around Indian School. I know up and coming is such a cliché term to use, but I get the impression that Central Ave is developing fairly well with the new light rail line and it seems there are more dining and lounge options than I would have originally thought and not having to drive once in a while sounds nice.

Can anybody speak from experience what it's like to live along Central Ave corridor/Midtown/Downtown etc? How safe is it to walk around after dark in that area? If you're familiar, what is your overall opinion of the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
if not at home, where will work be?.....

Old 12-17-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
if not at home, where will work be?.....
Biltmore area

Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times
if you can manage the logistics, you may want to start out with a short-term apartment rental in the Biltmore area and spend your days off scouting the other areas for something you might like better that's worth the much-longer commute....

or....

first stay in an extended-stay-style motel/hotel for a couple or three weeks and spend your off days looking for something more permanent.....

many choices all over.....the Desert Ridge area is clean. new, nice, etc., but a bit suburban and soul-less for me....might have to get in your car for every little gallon-of-milk-style errand.....access to 101 is nice, but life isn't about loop freeways....

living along the light rail would be fantastic and access to the Biltmore area shouldn't be too painful from, say, the Central and Camelback area of the line.....

the Biltmore area itself is very convenient and has lots of living choices....what about it?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:03 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
We lived in NE Phoenix (Tatum/Greenway) for 23 years then moved to Willo (5 blocks to light rail stop) 7 years ago. There are more things to do down here, more interesting restaurants, music, etc. If you're into shopping at big box stores you'd be better off in the burbs, but other than that we like it here a lot better.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
We lived in NE Phoenix (Tatum/Greenway) for 23 years then moved to Willo (5 blocks to light rail stop) 7 years ago. There are more things to do down here, more interesting restaurants, music, etc. If you're into shopping at big box stores you'd be better off in the burbs, but other than that we like it here a lot better.
Yeah that's what I'm contemplating, apartments with big resort style pools and lawns which sound nice or better access to urban fun and amenities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
if you can manage the logistics, you may want to start out with a short-term apartment rental in the Biltmore area and spend your days off scouting the other areas for something you might like better that's worth the much-longer commute....

or....

first stay in an extended-stay-style motel/hotel for a couple or three weeks and spend your off days looking for something more permanent.....

many choices all over.....the Desert Ridge area is clean. new, nice, etc., but a bit suburban and soul-less for me....might have to get in your car for every little gallon-of-milk-style errand.....access to 101 is nice, but life isn't about loop freeways....

living along the light rail would be fantastic and access to the Biltmore area shouldn't be too painful from, say, the Central and Camelback area of the line.....

the Biltmore area itself is very convenient and has lots of living choices....what about it?
Yeah I was thinking of staying in an extended stay type hotel before I decide. It looks like there is one at Central and Osborne so that might give me a good benchmark whether or not Central Phoenix is right for me.

I currently live in the Northeast Heights in Albuquerque in a garden style apartment complex with nice pools, grassy lawns and all that and is nice, but the suburban monotony and get in the car for short errands for everything gets boring at times.

The Biltmore area could be an option though I haven't really seen any apartments in that area that got my attention. I saw a place at Indian School and Central that l may look into. I like there is a sizable park across the street (Steele Indian School Park), that would be good for my dog.

I previously considered moving up to Denver to kick it up a notch with more city life, but it's too cold up there and I really prefer to stay in the Southwest and I like Arizona better as a state. Living on the light rail line in Phoenix sounds appealing if I can find the right apartment complex with good amenities within my budget. It seems downtown is on a bit of an upswing and I think I'd enjoy being an urban pioneer and being a part of it all. I'm just wondering how safe it is to walk around the Central Ave corridor and Midtown at night.

Last edited by Shane73; 12-19-2013 at 08:27 AM..

Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 AM

640 posts, read 957,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane73 View Post
Can anybody speak from experience what it's like to live along Central Ave corridor/Midtown/Downtown etc? How safe is it to walk around after dark in that area? If you're familiar, what is your overall opinion of the area?
I used to live near Central and Missouri and loved it. That is a little further North than the areas you mention but it was a great place to live. Half mile to light rail (with a park and ride lot at Central and Camelback) and walk to fun restaurants (Postino, Windsor, Churn, Federal Pizza) etc. That area would be a no brainer if working in Biltmore area, 5-10 minute commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: