Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 02:11 PM

80 posts, read 293,824 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have thoughts of moving to the Phoenix area and am wondering about the availability of public golf courses.

If you hadn't guessed by now from the title of thread, i'll let you know that I am a huge golf fan. I play as much as I can.

My questions to the residents of Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa/Chandler/Gilbert, etc are these:

1. Is golf expensive in the area? I've heard it can be downright outrageous in the winter months. How much can i expect to pay at a decent course in the winter? How about the summer months?

2. Can you even play in the summertime?

3. Where are a majority of the courses at? North, Central, West, East, South, all over?

Thank you in advance for whatever information you can provide to this golfer!

ManFromMissouri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 03:06 PM

683 posts, read 2,639,347 times
Some of the best golf courses in the world are in Arizona. And yes, it is very expensive during the winter, $100-$250 a round. But you can get some great deals from May through September. It's simply a matter of whether or not you can handle the heat. I spent about 15 years working on a golf course in Phoenix. One of the best perks of the job was free golf. My friends and I would play 36-54 holes every day during the summer. We would start about 1:00 in the afternoon and play until 8:00. The heat never bothered me, in fact, I played 36 holes on the day it hit 122 degrees. My favorite thing about summer golf was being able to play fast. One round would only take us 2-3 hours, in the winter, rounds average 5-6 hours.
There's not enough city owned public courses to meet the demand of local residents, but there's plenty of places to play that don't require memberships. Some of them are decent and somewhat reasonably priced, I'd rate them as good not great. The TPC just opened their Champions Course, there was a story about it in the paper last week.

Champions Course to open Friday (broken link)

If you can handle the heat, Phoenix is a golfer's paradise. That was the reason I moved there in 1985.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:57 PM

80 posts, read 293,824 times
BillyBaroo,

Thank you so much for your input concerning the golf courses in and around Phoenix. If i move there, it looks like i might be applying for a position within to cope with the high costs during the winter.

thanks again, ManFromMissouri.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:17 PM

919 posts, read 3,378,566 times
Certainly the high end courses are costlier in the winter, but there are plenty of others with decent fees. We play Rolling Hills for $13/9 holes, next to the zoo. Nearby Papago is a Phoenix park course and is currently $46 for 18 holes. If you play the pro tees, its a 7,000 yard course which will keep you busy! If flexible, many have great deals depending on the time of day/day of the week.

This site will gove you some ideas on fees at various courses: GolfNow

Old 11-26-2007, 04:38 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 905,274 times
Another option to assist with high green fees is buying the Southwest Golf Pass Southwest Golf Pass. Packages, discounts, coupons.. It gives you great rates at courses all over the valley. Usually when you purchase the pass you get a free round or two. If you play a couple times a month the card more than pays for itself. You can also check the paper (AZ Republic) on Thursdays for coupons and specials at different courses.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:24 PM

37 posts, read 280,324 times
We used to live in Phoenix and we enjoyed playing golf year round -- including the summer! We would start at daybreak and the first 9 holes would be terrific. By the time we finished the temperature would be well over 100, but it was still fun. Don't let the cost of winter golf scare your off. Once you're a local you'll learn how to play affordable golf even during the peak season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area