Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:21 PM

160 posts, read 187,768 times

Advertisements

I've searched the forums but I just seem to find info on campgrounds. What I'm looking for is a place we can pitch a tent without a bunch of other people around, near a lake where we can do some fishing, maybe a small store not too far away and a place to rent a boat or kayak (not a must have).

I don't know if that's a thing down here. We just moved here and don't know much about what kind of camping there is to do here.

We have a jeep so we can pretty much drive anywhere but I'm hoping to find something no more than 3 hours away from the city. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Any BLM land not posted prohibiting camping. That would be almost any BLM land.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:26 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
There's several million acres of national forest mostly to the north and east where you can do that. I would start with the Mogollon Rim Rd, FR300. Go to Payson, make a right and go to Woods Canyon Lake turnoff. Take FR300 west till you find what you are looking for. It's best on weekdays. You won't find too many mountain lakes where you can camp more than a 1/4 mile or so from the shore. You can camp all along any of the Salt River Lakes or Lake Pleasant shore line. There are a lot of dirt roads leading back to coves, etc, especially on Lake Pleasant. It's too hot for that now, though. One of my favs is Big Lake. There is a campground there but thousands of acres of forest nearby. A close by spot is Horsethief Lake near Crown King. Camp nearby, go to town for some drinking and dancing!

Really, there are millions of choices - something for all seasons too. You need to do some exploring. If you have smartphone download Backcountry Navigator and pay for the PRO version. Get in the Jeep and go at it. I have been camping and such in AZ for 40 years and have never stayed in a campground.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:33 PM

How is the weather on Mongolian Rim now? Does it get too cold at night? Ponderosa when you said it's too hot did you mean for Lake Pleasant?

I am going to download that app and we are going on an adventure this weekend! Woohoo I can't wait to get away!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:48 PM

131 posts, read 344,809 times
The Mongolian is awesome, it isn't to bad up that way and there are plenty of places to fish and camp. Weather near Stawberry says 80 for a high and 50 for a low tonight. I go up that way as much as I can, love the views and since it is dirt roads you dont get as many people up that way.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,519,900 times
christopher creek = absolutely gorgeous!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingutah View Post
How is the weather on Mongolian Rim now? Does it get too cold at night? Ponderosa when you said it's too hot did you mean for Lake Pleasant?

I am going to download that app and we are going on an adventure this weekend! Woohoo I can't wait to get away!
It's the Mogollon Rim - pronounced kinda like "MUGG-ee-own" or "MUGG-ee-on". Anyway, yes, I meant the desert lakes. They are best left for winter tent camping. It is in the 70s/low 80s on top of the Rim. The views are great too. I think I would do Crown King for my first trip in AZ. It's easy to get to and will whet your appetite. Take I17 north to BumbleBee exit and follow the road all the way up the mountain. There is an historic saloon at the top of the hill that is pretty cool. It's close to 7000 feet up there so nice and comfy. If you keep straight past the turn into the town area the road will take you over to Horsethief Lake. There are zillions of old mining roads and mines around the area. The "highway" north from Crown King is called the Senator Highway and it will take you to Prescott the scenic way. Plan on an early start and a full day if you decide to do the route. You should be able to google about it as it is a well known scenic off-road trip. Well, here's a link that will give you many more ideas. Welcome to our outdoor paradise!

Experience AZ Senator Hwy

You can pre-download forest maps and satellite photos for the area you are going to explore to your cell phone and then just follow along with the GPS on Backcountry Navigator.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:41 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
as Ponderosa and Steve say, primitive camping is allowed anywhere on public land that doesn't have a sign forbidding it - BLM and National Forest....National Park lands, including monuments and some nat'l rec areas are usually limited to established campgrounds....state lands are usually off-limits....drive dirt back roads in pretty areas and you'll see obvious spots with ubiquitous fire rings....bring everything you'll need, of course...many areas along the Rim Rd (FR 300) are great, but overuse has led to some limited spots (this is well-marked up there)....some back roads off the Lake Mary Rd SE of Flag will have carcamping areas...

many areas all over the state...

for lake stuff, google around and see what facilities are available at what lakes.....not quite as many lakes as Utah, so be ready for that....

trivia: the only natural lakes in Arizona are Stoneman, Mormon, and Montezuma Well - and some of those are hardly a pond....

Old 08-07-2013, 02:59 PM

228 posts, read 343,813 times
We went tent camping for the first time here at the weekend, up on the Rim just past Woods Canyon. The weather is perfect; most of the night I didn't even have covers, and just pulled a fleece blanket over me as it got a bit chilly around 4am.

We were lucky and our lovely friends in an RV we met there had saved us a good spot with flat ground, but a lot of it is fairly rocky and rough. Take a piece of old carpet, or a thick tarp, else you'll probably tear the ground sheet.

Have fun!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:10 PM

I'm sitting at work right now and I am just dying to ditch, pack up and go! There is nothing like primitive camping! Ohhh I'm dying right now can't wait for Friday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area