U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,742 times

Advertisements

Thinking of retiring in arizona from the midwest. Looking at quieter inexpensive places and right now Buckeye is in the lead. Financially, I just cant do anything upscale. I just want to be warm year round! Am looking in the right direction or way off?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 09:35 AM

2,130 posts, read 4,622,952 times
You certainly will not be the first to follow your path to retirement here. Most retirees do prefer the quieter, less expensive places. Fortunately we have a lot to choose from. Since you did not mention important items like budget, size of home, # of people residing in home, what amenities you require or the type of activities you enjoy it will be difficult to be specific about places to live.

You have mentioned Buckeye which may be fine, but have you considered other popular areas? There are great retirement communities in Mesa, Peoria, the Sun Cities, Sun Lakes, Maricopa, Florence. I personally think for an inexpensive, well established area with loads of amenities and close access to healthcare you cannot beat Sun City. I realize it is not for everyone, but it was conceived for the very purpose of inexpensive retirement without giving up convenience.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:52 PM

9,320 posts, read 17,641,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoenig32 View Post
Thinking of retiring in arizona from the midwest. Looking at quieter inexpensive places and right now Buckeye is in the lead. Financially, I just cant do anything upscale. I just want to be warm year round! Am looking in the right direction or way off?
We searched all over the U.S for our retirement shack and found the original Sun City to be the best bang for a small budget. The taxes in Buckeye I understand can be high, fees etc. We have so many amenities here it is hard to list them all but over 200 clubs, 7 recreation centers, 11 golf courses and our HOA fee is around $25 a year,,,,a year and the rec fee is around $446 or something close to that. There is a one time buy in fee of $3,000 but we felt it well worth the price. The neighborhoods are quirky, clean and very quiet. You can also rent a townhome or apt for very little money here or purchase one for around $50,000. We remodeled our home to make it anything but a Sun City home and have been very happy here. Best of luck in your search. You do have to be 55 to live here.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:17 PM

1,517 posts, read 3,273,981 times
I am not ready to retire yet but I did spend 4 years researching a nice place to live. I moved from Oregon.
I decided on the east valley (Mesa) for several reasons. It's affordable and since I'm a avid fisherman, almost all the lakes are on the east side. Also, in my opinion, the best motorcycle riding is much better from the east valley. I just took a ride today with some riding buddies to Tortilla Flats. We listened to the band for a while and had a great time and other than a couple of dollars in gas, it didn't cost me a dime.
Just do a lot of research and if you can, come on out and spend a little time looking around but look around the entire valley. East Mesa has some very affordable retirement areas and a lot of people forget about Apache Junction. Lots of stuff to do around here and very affordable.
You can still buy an affordable home around here but prices seem to be going up pretty fast.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:45 AM

7,450 posts, read 5,895,096 times
We were looking at Buckeye, but just learned it's a prison town. A 5500 bed prison just down the road means lots of prison widows living in Buckeye. Needless to say, Buckeye is off the list now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area