Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 05:27 PM

8 posts, read 14,444 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

Im new to this forum and I thought Id post here to see what you all have to suggest.

My boyfriend lives in Yuma -- he lived here until about a year ago. He had to move back due to some family issues and now we getting ready to make the move to beautiful Phoenix.

In any event, Ive got 5K in my savings. I should have about 7K when Im ready to leave Baltimore.

Mostly, Im just asking for some advice on the trip & anything that would be helpful to someone who's new to the (best) west coast (in terms of residence -- I adore PHX and I go to Vegas once a year). Im curious as to what kind of culture shock Im in for (day to day living type of stuff).

I have my insurance license and the jobs within my company are looking pretty good. Is it better to wait until I get here to find a job or prospect ahead of time? (My move date isnt set in stone yet but, Im looking to move at the end of June or early July).

Anything you guys can tell me will be helpful.

Thanks so much, ladies and gents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 10:59 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,838,882 times
From the people I've met who are from the East Coast tell me about Arizona is they are shocked about how people dress here. Not to say we dress like bums or anything (except Walmart will say otherwise) even work for many is more casual than the East Coast. This, however, shouldn't "shock" you but this is something I'm commonly told.

As far as residences go, it will depend where it is. Is it in Downtown? Mesa? Tempe? Scottsdale? Or nearby crossroads?

Old 03-13-2014, 04:43 AM

I just keep hearing the terms 'culture shock' and I keep thinking -- "Ive been to AZ. What are you talking about?!". LOL.

We're looking at either Mesa or Tempe since it's the cheaper/safe option in terms of rent.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:32 PM

125 posts, read 166,995 times
I wouldn't expect that you'll have too much "culture shock" coming from Baltimore. It's a pretty big city with all the big-city offerings - restaurants, performing arts, sports teams, big university, etc.

Things I did/do notice:
- people do dress much more casually. I even see teachers in flip-flops!
- very conservative/red state politics
- more religious/christian/mormon influence in every day life
- So much Native American and Mexican influence in terms of shops and restaurants, etc. I really got into turquoise jewelry and cowboy boots when I first arrived and now know Mexican food pretty well.

Of course, it depends on where you come from - I was used to blue-state liberals and lots of Italian restaurants, very little ethnic asian or mexican food to be found. Thus, I would notice the above things more than others might.

In Mesa, there will be more of a Mormon population, more families. I think of Tempe as generally a bit more diverse and interesting. JMO

Old 03-13-2014, 07:48 PM

Thanks so much for your response!

MD as a whole is pretty liberal but, my family leans kind of conservative (& I tend to follow suit in a few ways). Im not religious but, Im very pro firearms amongst other things.

I love Mexican culture -- i.e. Day of the Dead & I have about 50 Guadalupe prayer candles all over my home.

Turquoise jewelry is already a love affair. Haha! I feel like Ill fit right in as far as the culture itself. Ive never felt like I fit properly in Baltimore (other than my family) so this move is definitely the right direction for me.

Like you, we've got a LOT of Italian but (other than chain fast food) we dont have much in terms of ethnic food.

Tempe is where we're looking for an apartment. Mesa is a close second. My biggest concern is inexpensive rent in a safe area. My boyfriend lived in PHX for quite a few years so he knows the city pretty well & where I will feel safe.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 PM

125 posts, read 166,995 times
There are safe, good areas in both Mesa and Tempe. I'm assuming you are youngish - maybe 20's? If I were that age without kids, Tempe would be my first choice hands-down! Just more interesting demographics, more transplants vs. born-and-bred Arizonians in Mesa, more restaurants and things to do, more character, IMO. If you're not religious (I am not) I think the Mesa Mormon population would not be the best fit.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:33 AM

Im 30 but still young. :]

And thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area