Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 6,584 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the current IT job market is like in Phoenix? This is coming from someone who is a Arizona resident with over 15 years in this field. Is the technology job market in Phoenix good/bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 02:44 PM

4,058 posts, read 5,085,442 times
Depends on what level you are at and on which technologies.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:58 PM

848 posts, read 959,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Depends on what level you are at and on which technologies.
Is it anything like here in the bay area, where there's 1 junior listing, 4 regular listings, and 95 senior level listings?

Old 01-23-2014, 03:12 PM

Flip flop that...lots of junior listings, a few regular listings and a couple Senior level listings. And in some disciplines...the Sr. level positions are trying to pay like they are Jr. listings. Again...it is going to depend on your specialty.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 PM

2,150 posts, read 5,146,513 times
It depends on what you do. IT is a very broad category. We have several large employers like GoDaddy, Insight, PayPal, Intel, Honeywell, JDA Software and hundreds of smaller growing companies. I think in general IT is well positioned here. However, you will also find that salaries are probably lower than on the east coast or silicon valley.

If you have been in the business 15 years you should have a pretty good handle on what you are capable of and even some good contacts. But don't overlook some of the companies that do not identify themselves with IT like AMEX or Chase or PetSmart (I hear Target is looking for some good people). They have large IT organizations too.

Check out some of the jobs boards like:

Jobing.com or Monster.com or CareerBuilder.com for your area of expertise.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:25 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,950,081 times
Long story short..(the long version is posted in another thread): I'm in IT. Got transferred to AZ from PA in July 2012. Got laid off in March 2013. Had another, better, job a month later. Found it by using Indeed.com. Also had bites on other opportunities I had applied to for months after I accepted the new job.

I brought my Philly salary out to AZ. I'm making more at the new job, and it has bonus potential which the old job didn't.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:51 PM

848 posts, read 959,011 times
Feel like I'm hijacking the thread, but screw it, it's on topic.
  1. When we say IT, are we talking about SysAdmin / network support / desktop support type stuff?
    1. Not that I'm terribly interested in it, but what's that portion of the market like?
  2. What is the software development side of the market like right now?
  3. How much of the market is geared toward web application development? i.e. rails, js, html/css, etc.
  4. How much of the market is geared toward traditional application development? i.e. *.exes, C/C++, etc.
I know #1 enough to have been doing it for friends and family for 10+ years now, but no professional-level knowledge. I love #2 and while I'm more experienced and familiar with the #4 side of it, it seems the market is unfortunately going more toward the #3 side of things, which I'm in the process of learning (I do QA for a Rails operation right now, so I'm learning Rails in my free time).

Old 01-23-2014, 07:25 PM

12,845 posts, read 7,065,160 times
I think IT in Arizona is picking up fast lot of guys in my IT department have been getting offers from linkedin. One guy got 4 interviews just in the last few months before taking a job with Centrylink. If you have experience in VOIP like cisco UCC or anything with Linux/unix you should not have a problem finding work. I work for APS (power utility) have been in the IT department for 13 years they are always hiring for IT. If you don't have any professional experience get some certs like MCSE or Cisco CCNA or VMWARE it can get your foot in the door. We always have jobs open in our 24/7 operations center as those jobs have higher turn over sitting all night in a monitoring center but it's great place to start same thing in on the help desk good place to start. My only suggestion is don't get stuck on help desks you always have to be learning new things so you can move up. Networking and data center's are just going to get a lot bigger as everyone wants more network speeds, and companies move to central consolidated VMWARE data centers. If you get some certs in VMWARE that is a good one to have VMware is everywhere now.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:02 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,019,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Flip flop that...lots of junior listings, a few regular listings and a couple Senior level listings. And in some disciplines...the Sr. level positions are trying to pay like they are Jr. listings. Again...it is going to depend on your specialty.
This is so true. My husband is senior IT level and got laid off from AMEX over 2 years ago. (Not to mean this in a derogatory way because the facts are indisputable, but for the 3 years before his lay off, AMEX went through 3 major lay offs, and then hired such a large number of people from India that it is now known to insiders as INEX). He took an 18 month consulting position which kept telling him they were going to convert him but in the last 3 weeks of the contract told him they were not. So since Dec 6th he has been interviewing at least 10 to 15 times per week via phone and in person, one of which was an interview at 9:00 at night from a contract company in India who was placing people in AMEX...go figure.... But it is still the same old story. No one wants to pay his higher salary when they can get someone to do it for less who may not be as experienced. I will also point out that he has been in IT for 30 years. The job market potential here is improving but it is still slightly a "sellers" market.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
It depends on what you do. IT is a very broad category. We have several large employers like GoDaddy, Insight, PayPal, Intel, Honeywell, JDA Software and hundreds of smaller growing companies. I think in general IT is well positioned here. However, you will also find that salaries are probably lower than on the east coast or silicon valley.
Add Level 3's NOC/SOC in Ahwautukee, CenturyLink downtown, COX, I/O Data Centers and some other smaller ones...like I said...depends on what discipline the OP is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area