Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,459 times

Advertisements

My husband and three kids might be moving to Phoenix this summer. We both have not really experienced the city and the surrounding area at all. I am researching our housing options as we will be buying. What areas of Phoenix and the surrounding area do I need to avoid? Our top three necessities: #1 safe #2 family oriented (easy to walk and parks) #3 not close to any large roads.

Going to throw in another question: What elementary schools/districts do we need to try and get into?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 02:50 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuumingpearls View Post
My husband and three kids might be moving to Phoenix this summer. We both have not really experienced the city and the surrounding area at all. I am researching our housing options as we will be buying. What areas of Phoenix and the surrounding area do I need to avoid? Our top three necessities: #1 safe #2 family oriented (easy to walk and parks) #3 not close to any large roads.

Going to throw in another question: What elementary schools/districts do we need to try and get into?

Thank you!
If you are not familiar with metro Phoenix, you should not be buying right off the bat. This is a very spread out metro area. You should plan on renting first to get more familiar with the area, so you don't regret a purchase because you find an area you like better.

Your question about "which areas to avoid" is simply too broad. In a spread out area like this, where commutes can be very long, where you live, ideally, should be reasonably close to where you work. There are lots of quite "safe" areas here, understanding that there is some crime everywhere. Walkable neighborhoods? Depends on what you want to be able to walk TO. Close to "large roads"? What is a "large road"? Studying a good map of metro Phoenix will give you a good idea of where the freeways are, but there are other "large roads" as well, depending on your definition.

Ideally, you should come visit here and see what the area is like before you commit to moving your family. House hunting long distance in an area you don't know is very difficult. Find out if you even think metro Phoenix should be on your list first.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:29 PM

241 posts, read 386,653 times
without question....visit!

we're looking to relocate from Portland, OR and we've visited multiple times for a week at a time and still have yet to narrow things down. PHX is a very unique city in which the sprawl is just amazing. While things look close on the map, its very deceiving when actually driving it.

get out there - feel it out, see whatcha like.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:19 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
For the avoid list, I think the two most obvious are Maryvale and south Glendale. Those areas are pretty run down and are infamous for crime. Some family oriented areas include Gilbert, and to a lesser extent, Chandler.

As for school districts, there are quite a few good ones. Here in the East Valley, the Chandler, Gilbert, Higley, Kyrene, and Queen Creek districts have been highly performing. You can go to azed.gov to view the letter grade for each district as well as for individual schools.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:23 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
For the avoid list, I think the two most obvious are Maryvale and south Glendale. Those areas are pretty run down and are infamous for crime. Some family oriented areas include Gilbert, and to a lesser extent, Chandler.

As for school districts, there are quite a few good ones. Here in the East Valley, the Chandler, Gilbert, Higley, Kyrene, and Queen Creek districts have been highly performing. You can go to azed.gov to view the letter grade for each district as well as for individual schools.
"To a lesser extent Chandler." Chandler is just as family oriented as Gilbert.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:31 PM

107 posts, read 201,744 times
avoid list

Scottsdale.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjones1234 View Post
avoid list

Scottsdale.
If you're poor.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejjones1234 View Post
avoid list

Scottsdale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
If you're poor.

Let's get back in the mode of helping the OP, please.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
My response was sincere. I think Scottsdale would be a great place for the OP considering that she's looking for a safe area with good schools. I can't see why it should be avoided unless it's financially out of reach.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
My response was sincere. I think Scottsdale would be a great place for the OP considering that she's looking for a safe area with good schools. I can't see why it should be avoided unless it's financially out of reach.

I agree with you that it is a viable choice. However, there are parts of Scottsdale, not where you live, that are perfectly safe and would not be "financially out of reach" for most people. Painting the entire city of Scottsdale as a place where only the well heeled can live is misleading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area