Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 6,807 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

Okay here I go, I just joined City-Data.

My Fiance' and I are long time Washington residents, specifically Gig Harbor area and recently moved to Scottsdale, AZ June 2012. It was a big change and I absolutely loved it there. After a year and a half we had to move BACK up to WA for a family emergency among a few other factors. Now I sit here, staring out my window at the ugly grey skies and am deeply regretting the move. After a long talk last night with my fiance', a move back to Scottsdale is back on the table for the future. I would love some feedback on the WA and AZ debate, specifically Scottsdale. Here are some things I would appreciate getting feedback on-

-I love the clean air in WA and coziness of the rain (sometimes). It's home. I think that since it is "home" it has an unfair pull at our hearts to stay here. Is this something I should ignore?
-I am miserable, I miss the sun horribly, the palm trees, clean roads, fast driving, city layout, desert beauty, and the AMENITIES-OH THE AMENITIES! I miss all the choices when it comes to entertainment and food. Does this wear off after a few years?
- Although WA has so many beautiful outdoor features, we always found a quick hike at Pinnacle peak or a drive up to Sedona more attainable than a long slog on I5 to the mountains. The idea that San Diego is 6 hours away or that snow is just a few hours up north was wonderful. Do residents find themselves actually using this?

About us- In our twenties, planning on starting a family in the next few years. Work would NOT be an issue to find in Scottsdale for myself. Also looking to rent a house with a pool preferably. I already know your $ goes farther in AZ when it comes to house rentals.

I actually feel a little lost in my typing here. Bear with me. I would love to here from YOU. Things that you like AND dislike about both areas. My heart is really pulling towards Scottsdale, but I think an outside viewpoint/opinion would be very helpful. Thank you so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 02:55 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,519,900 times
plain & simple, if you're not happy in washington, move. you gotta make yourself happy.....

Old 02-06-2014, 03:02 PM

5 posts, read 6,807 times
pretty obvious I know, Just wondering if any other Southwest residents are itching to get out or have reasons to "run while you can"

Old 02-06-2014, 03:17 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times
You've lived in both places and you know YOU better than any of the rest of us. I don't really know what can be added by others when you've experienced both and know what affects you and makes you happy.

Those that want to use San Diego 6 hours away use it and those that don't want to don't. The question is would YOU use it and we can't answer that.

We moved from Oregon (grew up in Washington and Idaho) to Phoenix six years ago and enjoy the weather here much better than the Pacific Northwest. We miss the trees for sure but the trade off is worth it to us. Is it to you, again you need to answer that...

Old 02-06-2014, 03:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
I haven't been out here that long, but I haven't regretted my move away from MI once. I've said it before but moving here was the best decision I've ever made. I love it here and I love living in Scottsdale specifically. Sure there are some things I miss about MI (believe it or not), but nothing that comes close to outweighing my love for life here.

If the gloomy weather has you down now, it will probably only get worse. My last winter in MI was hell and I knew I had to get out.

You're coming from a unique perspective having lived here before. Only you know which is a better fit for you. This certainly isn't a one size fits all sort of place. It's not for everyone.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:17 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
I agree with a lot of sentiment ... you've experienced both and put a full year in down here so it's fairly credible

In my experience, there is always something about home .... when I'm back home on a brisk fall day, or have a good thunderstorm going or just walking in the woods with that clean country air or have a bonfire going with friends and family it definitely pulls at me as well .............. but I know it's not something that works for all my needs

If you are really miserable you have to ask what exactly is the pull?

Just know, that some people do get sick of the constant sun as well and that can start to grind on people over time

As for what people use - I personally love the amenities and convenience of the metro and get a lot of use out of it ..... we do some periodic camping and trips up north ..... I have a couple small children and am in my 30s, so it's a bit different than when I was younger without kids .... at that time I was more apt to take advantage of laughlin/vegas, rocky point, getting hotels throughout the metro, etc ......... now I had a blast this winter taking my kids up to Flagstaff to play in the snow and that is something I will make sure happens because it's pretty easy to do and I value that time

I really don't value SD so I don't go .... I know a lot of people who do though, some of our good friends go in a on a beach house every summer and take their young kid with them ...... they always try to convince us to go, but just not our deal

You know the distances, can figure the costs, convenience, and what the opportunity is ..... only you though can figure out if you care enough to actually do it

Old 02-06-2014, 04:20 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Interesting thread / questions, Eaharbor.

Never actually lived in either but having spent lots of time in both Scottsdale and Gig Harbor, I feel you're guilty of the "comparing Apples to Oranges" syndrome.

The one and only positive that would make me even consider Gig Harbor over Scottsdale would be the GREAT FRESH SEAFOOD, otherwise all of the other positives point directly to Scottsdale.

Good Luck . . . MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:37 PM

678 posts, read 1,064,914 times
I moved to Arizona after a brief stint (6 mos) in Portland OR. I just couldn't take the amount of rain in Portland although I absolutely loved the city. With that said, I loved Arizona (I've since moved) and I would have stayed there but my wife couldn't stand the heat. She's from Europe and moved to Arizona before we got married. So we moved to a milder climate. However, we probably wouldn't have moved if my wife was okay with the heat. I say go for it, some people (like myself) really need the sun.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:41 PM

848 posts, read 967,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaharbor93 View Post
-I love the clean air in WA and coziness of the rain (sometimes). It's home. I think that since it is "home" it has an unfair pull at our hearts to stay here. Is this something I should ignore?
It's hard to ignore the sentimentality of home - which for me is Silicon Valley, where I've been since I was 6. It'll definitely be hard to let go of when leaving and hard not to miss when gone. But I try to think of it objectively and weigh the pros and cons of both places against each other. All else being equal, yeah the heart pulling of home would win.

But they're not equal. For us, although this is our childhood home, we can't justify spending 5x the price for the exact same house just for """perfect""" weather (I wish I could convey the big air-quotes and sarcastic expression). It boggles me that enough people DO feel that way though that it's "a thing" and drives the prices 5 times higher. We want a family, and a big one. The house we ultimately want to raise that family in would cost 400k-500k in Phoenix. The exact same house - room count, house square footage, lot square footage, quality of construction and landscaping, in a nice area - goes for $2M-$2.5M here. Even if I do get to a point in my software career (got to get it started first... ) where that can be afforded...it's never going to be worth it for us. We can't logically or emotionally justify giving all that much extra money for the EXACT same thing with no other benefit than "amazing weather".

So for US, although the pull of home is hard to ignore, it becomes much easier when thinking in the long term and thinking about the future. You have to do the same thing. If the dreary weather and traffic congestion and other things are getting you down, and Scottsdale lifted you up farther than that and made you happy, I say it's a no brainer. Do it!

Old 02-06-2014, 05:12 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Just moved from Charlotte after 5years of planning(...Yes 5yrs.... Planning consisted of saving my $$$ /becoming debt free/lining up a job that I could support myself on....Could not be happier. Yes I miss family and friends in Charlotte as I have no family here...but ya know what...I feel at home and at peace here. You gotta find your place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area