U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:23 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,602,422 times

Advertisements

Next winter my wife and I would like to live in a furnished HOUSE in Tempe or Mesa for the months of December, January, February and March. Then we would return to our home in VA in April.

Does anyone have any advice on how to find a furnished detached single family home in one of those communities? We don't need anything fancy, it just has to be in a quiet neighborhood that is safe, well tended and pleasant. I would prefer to have a number of other retired or semi retired folks living nearby but it does not have to be a retirement community.

We think the biggest challenge is finding something that is only for the winter because most owners would prefer someone who wants the spot for the entire year. We only want to live there for the four months.

What websites or real estate agencies would you recommend? We expect to pay about $1500 a month maybe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 AM

2,132 posts, read 4,672,438 times
Your best resources are going to be websites like VRBO.com, Craigslist.com or work with a RE Agent that has MLS access.

However, I will tell you right now that you are going to find it very difficult to find a short term, furnished, winter rental for $1500. Most landlords are easily getting $2500 or more. If you find one in your price bracket, visit it before you pledge your money to make sure you are not disappointed.

Last edited by AZJoeD; 02-10-2014 at 09:55 AM..

Old 02-10-2014, 09:34 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,602,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Your best resources are going to be websites like VRBO.com, Craigslist.com or work with a RE Agent that has MLS access.

However, I will tell you right now that you are going to find it very difficult to find a short term, furnished, winter rental for $1500. Most landlords are easily getting $2500 or more. If you find one in your price bracket, visit it before you pledge your money.
How much would that same house, renting for $2500, be if it were rented for a twelve month lease? Or unfurnished? (Maybe there would be more selection if we rented it empty of furniture and we could spend money renting furniture.)

A friend of mine said in some cases it is cheaper to rent a house for 12 months on a long term lease and stay for only six months and let it sit empty in the summer. (We could stay for 6 months instead of four months if the price was right.)

Old 02-10-2014, 09:40 AM

175 posts, read 464,335 times
If you plan on renting a home for that time period, I suggest that you book now. Those are peak periods for snowbird rentals. KIJIJI.com, VRBO.com or Flipkey.com are your best bets, however it will be pretty hard to find a home for less than $2000/month during that period.
You may get a 1 or 2 bed condo for that range and you may get a discount because because of the rental lenght a fully furnished home will be hard pressed to find.
[sorry, posting of active listings not permitted]

Last edited by observer53; 02-10-2014 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-10-2014, 12:28 PM

107 posts, read 183,666 times
As mentioned, you would have a tough time renting a furnished home for a long period as the owner knows he can make more in the short term.

Did it myself when I bought this place a few years ago, it was furnished . I rented my place out for 6 months when it was furnished 4 different renters. Made 13000 in rent.

Houses of the same size would rent for about 12 to 18 grand a year back then. I got a years rent over one winter moved back in and changed the furniture and live here full time.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:13 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,229,100 times
It is going to be hard to find something for four months NEXT winter as most places are booked already for that time period. My in-laws have been trying to find a regular place to rent each year and it has been next to impossible to find a long term place and they have had to settle for a month here and a month at another place. Most people rent the same place year after year and there are not a lot of new openings for new folks to get in on the rotation.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:22 PM

7,873 posts, read 9,083,936 times
To the OP. If you find someone who will rent you there place $1500 a month furnished in peak times you will have pulled off a major coup. I got $1500 a week minimum during peak. Sometimes over $2K for a week when I have 6 people in the home. But my home was larger and nicer than average.

If you do find a person willing to rent for $1500 a month furnished, buyer beware. $3000/month could get you a decent place but it will be small.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:36 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,229,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
To the OP. If you find someone who will rent you there place $1500 a month furnished in peak times you will have pulled off a major coup. I got $1500 a week minimum during peak. Sometimes over $2K for a week when I have 6 people in the home. But my home was larger and nicer than average.

If you do find a person willing to rent for $1500 a month furnished, buyer beware. $3000/month could get you a decent place but it will be small.
$3000/month is about what my in-laws pay when they can find a place. They start their search earlier than this point if they are wanting it for next year.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:45 PM

17,846 posts, read 40,157,880 times
Here's a site that will give you an idea about what Mesa furnished rentals are going for. You MIGHT be able to work out something a little better for such a long term, but the numbers are way higher than what you are looking for.

Mesa Vacation Rentals : Compare 35 vacation rentals in Mesa, AZ - TripAdvisor

Old 02-10-2014, 05:14 PM

7,873 posts, read 9,083,936 times
Trip Advisor started a division to compete with the "player", VRBO. I looked hard at using them but figured VRBO was all I needed. I easily rented out my spot 6-8 months in advance.

So we are on the same page (from memory), I rented my place in Surprise for nearly $20K and 13 weeks of rental/usage. Zero rental days from June to early October. If I rented by the month, I would have gotten much less or $3500 x 4 or $14K. As you will learn, $1500 isn't going to happen unless you stumble upon a person who doesn't understand what their place is really worth. Mesa will command more $$'s than Surprise.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 02-10-2014 at 05:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area