U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 11,420 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get information on the Las Sendas community. How does this area compare to Scottsdale and the N. Scottsdale communities? Is Las Sendas a good investment if you have to move in a few years?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 11:53 AM

6,069 posts, read 13,922,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
I am trying to get information on the Las Sendas community. How does this area compare to Scottsdale and the N. Scottsdale communities? Is Las Sendas a good investment if you have to move in a few years?
Below are a couple of links to information about the Las Sendas. It has won several awards for being one of the top 5 communities in the country.

It's at a slightly higher elevation so the air may be a little cooler and cleaner.

My opinion has always been that real estate is an excellent long term investment. And location is a prime consideration in the property selection. One can't go wrong in my opinion if they buy in the best locations and plan to live there for at least 6 years.

Las Sendas is one of the premier communities and they have a wide price range. I'm taking a client to see some properties there next week, and the prices range from a little over $300,000 to over $5,000,000.

Las Sendas - In Mesa at Thomas & Power Road

Las Sendas Community Association Home

Bill

Old 12-01-2007, 03:37 PM

647 posts, read 3,190,133 times
Las Sendas is a beautiful community. It's a bit higher up into the mountains, it's beautifully designed, and the estates/million+ dollar homes are gorgeous. I think there are some pro sports guys who have homes there.

To me, the downside is location. I don't care for the surrounding areas - most of the existing commercial options are older and it's Mesa, and there's not much nearby either, IMO. Also, depending on where you live within the community, you could have a looooooong drive back to Power Rd. It's a bit like Estrella Mountain Ranch in that respect. I'm not a fan of the 10+ minute drives just to get out of a community.

However, if you're buying it for a second home, or if you don't really leave home very often for eating out, shopping, etc., or if you don't mind a drive if you do, I think it'd be a nice place to live. If it were me, though, with all things being equal (home price, commute to work, etc.) I'd prefer Scottsdale.

As well, it depends on what you mean by "a few years." I wouldn't buy any house now if you think you'll need to move in the next couple years. Sure, there's always the chance that you could sell and still make money. But there's a big chance also that you wouldn't, and that's a big chance to take IMO.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 11,420 times
I will try to be more specific. I am looking for a 2nd home in Phoenix. I am retired. I was looking in the North Scottsdale area just north of the 101. I accidently stumbled upon Las Sendas by playing golf there. I immediately liked the area however didn't get a chance to look around to see what the surrounding community was like. (ie: are there nice restaurants, higher end stores, etc.) Is it safe? Will the new freeway completion be a positive or negative. All I can tell so far is that it doesn't seem any further out than DC Ranch or Troon areas...but from what. I just don't feel comfortable enough about the different areas of Phoenix to make a proper housing decision that won't bit me in the A**. Just looking for opinions.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:28 PM

919 posts, read 3,202,707 times
Some good friends live there and have a gorgeous house - they bought about 4 years ago when it was fairly new and (probably) much cheaper. I really like the designs of the houses and how the developer spaced them - giving everyone a little bit of breathing room/views. As mentioned, the elevation is a tad higher but I think they also get a bit of a breeze due to geography/adjacent mountains.

My friends knew the 202 would eventually come close, so it was a good bet. However it was/is out on the fringes so there's not a lot of unique eateries, stores, etc. A few have opened and there are the usual chains/supermarkets, but not the variety you'd find in more mature areas of PHX metro. When they "go out" for something unique, it's usually to Tempe/Scottsdale, about a 20 mile drive on the 202. I've been to a number of BBQs/Pool parties and everyone seems very nice... but is probably a community best for families and couples, not singles. It's also a bit of an island. The Las Sendas areas are definitely higher end, but the surrounding neighborhoods - while not bad - are a generic mix of ho-hum neighborhoods, rural lots and trailer parks. Nothing wrong with any of that - it was simply and a far-off rural part of town that got swallowed up in a hurry. It really comes down to your personality and lifestyle... a good fit if it fits you.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:52 PM

6,069 posts, read 13,922,942 times
Quote:
I will try to be more specific. I am looking for a 2nd home in Phoenix. I am retired. I was looking in the North Scottsdale area just north of the 101. I accidently stumbled upon Las Sendas by playing golf there. I immediately liked the area however didn't get a chance to look around to see what the surrounding community was like. (ie: are there nice restaurants, higher end stores, etc.) Is it safe? Will the new freeway completion be a positive or negative. All I can tell so far is that it doesn't seem any further out than DC Ranch or Troon areas...but from what. I just don't feel comfortable enough about the different areas of Phoenix to make a proper housing decision that won't bit me in the A**. Just looking for opinions.
Las Sendas has a wider home price range than Troon. So your choice may depend somewhat on your price range.

Mesa is not the most desirable city so the address itself is not as prestigious as a Scottsdale address. However, I believe the nationwide reputation of Las Sendas as a top community is equally as important as a Scottsdale address. That's why they have $5,000,000 homes there. Consequently, I believe the Las Sendas housing prices will fair equally as well as the Troon area.

Las Sendas is safe and the areas surrounding it are safe. However, with that said, no place is 100% safe, no matter where you are.

In Troon you may be a little closer to more high end restaurants and shopping, but you're driving quite a distance before getting on the 101. From Las Sendas you're on the 202 right away.

I don't think the 202 completion will be a negative. You will see more traffic on it as it spreads out some of the hwy 60 load, but I don't think it will be too bad because the 202 by Las Sendas heads north and then cuts back south making it a longer drive for some.

As a retiree you will be avoiding the freeway during commute hours anyway.

If this will be your winter home, as it is with many 2nd home buyers then you will probably place more importance on your activities, and that could weigh in the favor of Las Sendas because of the abundance of activities there. That's why my client is wanting to see Las Sendas next week, and isn't interested in Scottsdale.

Bill

Old 12-01-2007, 09:51 PM

4,299 posts, read 14,215,625 times
Quote:
If you can afford Scottsdale buy in Scottsdale.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:46 PM

647 posts, read 3,190,133 times
I disagree with Bill that Las Sendas would be a better bet b/c of the abundance of activities. I think it's the opposite - many, many more options in Scottsdale. Again - just my opinion.

I'd recommend driving around both areas and comparing them. As evidenced on this thread, different strokes for different folks...

Old 12-11-2007, 04:12 PM

133 posts, read 356,350 times
Default Ice Hockey in Gilbert, AZ

Quote:
If you really are a hockey guy, check out Gilbert, AZ. We are getting a brand new ice hockey arena near Greenfield/Warner! It is going to be awesome!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:41 AM

105 posts, read 421,279 times
Default Experience from living in both areas.

Like others have said; it depends on what you want to do. You will find more than the necessities nearby (shopping, nice restaraunts, etc.) However, you will not find quite the quantity that you will in Scottsdale. As far as value, I don't think there is a better one in the valley. If you prefer shopping over outdoor activities, N Scottsdale is still probably the place for you. N Scottsdale will give you more priveleged neighbors, nicer homes in surrounding areas, and greater proximity to Flagstaff. Las Sendas will give you somewhat cheaper prices, more family oriented activities, and slightly greater proximity to water recreation. Also, closer to White Mountains vs. being closer to Flagstaff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area