Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 09:45 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,031,645 times

Advertisements

If your work will be in the Metro Center area then as others have mentioned, Moon Valley would be a great place to live and a short commute. I would also suggest looking at Deer Valley area, quite a bit newer and may be too cookie cutter for you but it is a generally safe area and also a short commute. Another area to look would be west of Metro Center where you get into the city of Glendale. There are some decent neighborhoods there as well, and tend to have lower rents. I don't see where you mentioned what your budget is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 02:07 PM

890 posts, read 2,282,118 times
I've seen rattlers out in the desert a couple times, once in January and once in March. Generally you can hear them before you see them so just keep some distance and they won't bother you. Depending on where you locate, you have a better chance of seeing scorpions and spiders. I vaguely remember seeing a black widow somewhere, though I don't think it was inside. Most scorpions/spiders you will run into aren't lethal. Outlying areas and even some places in the city you may see javelinas or coyotes which are only a problem for small dogs and such. You don't need to worry about those.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,038 times
I love my neighborhood around 43rd Avenue and Bell. Not too pricey but not dumpy. Neighbors are reallly nice and quiet. I have been here for 4 years (63 year old woman) and have never felt threatened walking everywhere. My area is not far from 7th and Tbird.

The thing about North Mountain is, there are some extremely expensive homes in the Pointe Tapatio area of North Mountain. Way out of my price range. But if you go to the cheaper areas right near there, like Sunnyslope....most cheap houses are dumps. I would be afraid to live there or walk in those neighborhoods (no wonder why the fancy areas nearby are mostly gated.)

My area would be approximately 6 miles to commute but just a wonderful family oriented area. My 3 bedroom, 1465 square foot house with pool is currently worth maybe 140,000, but you can find something cheaper if you need to (as well as something more expensive.)

You can go far east, but you'd pay more. You can also go far north and get into some really fancy digs. Or, you can just live right in the heart of the Tapatio area and pay about 350,000 or so for a fancy place. I like normal "average"...I used to live in fancy schmancy when I was married to a man making a good wage. When I got a divorce, I had to scale down, but not so far that I would risk my safety. This neighborhood is perfect for my needs.

By the way, native Chicagoan here....waves!

Last edited by MomofFourCoolKids; 02-19-2014 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,038 times
Why don't you try an apartment for a few months, to get the feel of the neighborhood. North Mountain is a great place for hiking trails, nature walks, etc. Here's a nice apartment: Green Leaf Promontory Pointe - Phoenix - AZ and you could probably roll out of bed and get to work in 5 minutes.

I really wouldn't put a lease on a house until you explored for a while first. Good luck.

By the way, you can lease for as little as 3 months there, so that would give you plenty of time to find the right place. Don't rush into a long-term decision.

Last edited by MomofFourCoolKids; 02-19-2014 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 06-22-2016, 06:32 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,624,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Actually there are some pretty cool neighborhoods in near North Phoenix and Mid-town. If you do not know Phoenix this may not mean much to you but...

The corridor between 7th St & 7th Ave from about Camelback to Glendale has lots of options. The closer to Central Ave. the better.
Rather than start a whole new thread - is this area still pretty decent? The original post was in 2014.

I'm considering a place in the vicinity of 7th Ave & Maryland, older condos from what I can tell. It's an area I'm not familiar with (I'm usually a little farther south when I'm zipping around town, more like 7th Ave & Camelback/Bethany Home Rd).

Old 06-22-2016, 07:54 PM

445 posts, read 516,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Rather than start a whole new thread - is this area still pretty decent? The original post was in 2014.

I'm considering a place in the vicinity of 7th Ave & Maryland, older condos from what I can tell. It's an area I'm not familiar with (I'm usually a little farther south when I'm zipping around town, more like 7th Ave & Camelback/Bethany Home Rd).
That's a very nice area, the farther east the better. Lot's of expensive homes scattered around there and it is very safe overall.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:00 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,624,404 times
Oh good, nice to know it hasn't changed since 2014. Thanks! I still have to do a drive by before I call the realtor, but at least I can keep it on the list.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:53 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,884,744 times
I much prefer the 7th Street side over 7th Avenue side. Nicer, better neighborhood, imo.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:00 AM

445 posts, read 516,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I much prefer the 7th Street side over 7th Avenue side. Nicer, better neighborhood, imo.
It depends on what you're looking for. They're both good areas with fairly low crime and nice homes. 7th Street has many more businesses/restaurants, etc. 7th Ave is quieter, more residential until you get down to Camelback.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:09 PM

943 posts, read 2,523,284 times
Mid-town would easily fit your description for leisure time. Think Central Ave., between 7th Ave. and 7th St. (maybe limit yourself to between 3rd Ave and 3rd St), somewhere around McDowell. I live in the suburbs, but could easily move to that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area