Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:21 AM

240 posts, read 348,744 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, sorry for all the topics I have been posting but you guys are very helpful and I am now trying to decide where I should rent. We were out there for 4 days just last week/weekend and we LOVED Surprise but that was the first time we were in Surprise, I am familiar with Phoenix and Scottsdale from last year. Just because we love Surprise doesn't mean we should rent there but I am open for options, I figure the year that I rent, I can explore Surprise if I don't live there. That way maybe I won't love it as much as I think if I learn more about it. My son will be at ASU on campus but I want to at least be in a decent driving distance, my husband will work in Phoenix, my other son needs to go to a safe high school, I have already done open enrollment for all the schools in Surprise, I will find out next month if he got into Willow Canyon, so if I don't rent in Surprise and the school isn't good where I rent, then I would want to drive him there so I would need it to be a decent driving distance. I will work remotely. Things we like to do are Hiking so hiking trails near by would be awesome, I would like to have a variety of grocery stores like Sprouts, Trader Joes, Fry's near by. I want to feel safe and pay a reasonable rent. I am looking for a 4 bedroom home, need to work out something with my 6 cats, want a clean place, nice size backyard (no pool needed), would like to pay under $1200 a month/closer to $950-1000 would be perfect.

Also with renting since I haven't done it for 19 years, are the landlords friendly? During inspections am I allowed to be there (I only ask because of my cats, I love them so much and never want them to feel scared if a stranger is in the house without me), and am I allowed to have garden boxes in the yard if I rent?

Also random question, people who have fruit trees in their yards, I heard from my realtor that so many people don't pick a lot of fruit and it goes to waste, I am a raw/vegan and the thought of this makes me want to ask people if I can come pick their fruit if they are just going to let it go, is that rude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:13 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
I would worry first about finding the right size rental that will accept the cats. The school situation will likely then sort itself out, even if you have to utilize open enrollment.

Landlords vary, like everyone else. Some rentals are managed by property management companies. To my knowledge, inspections aren't that frequent, and since the landlord knows the cats are there, I would think that you could arrange for it to be done when you are there, if they are going to do them.

What a landlord will allow varies from landlord to landlord. Ask.

On your "random question", I don't think there's anything wrong with asking a neighbor if you can pick their fruit. There are a lot of gleaning projects who come around and clear the trees for the food banks, who juice it and put the whole fruit in food boxes. You could share that info with your neighbors too.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 AM

19,455 posts, read 27,902,603 times
Where in Phoenix is your husband working? Surprise may be a hefty commute.

I agree that the first priority (after the commute and rental cost) is finding a landlord that accepts the cats. SIX cats is gonna be a real big, big problem. Besides the obvious reason of no landlord wanting SIX cats in his/her property, most HOA's limit the number of pets to four per household. Since the Phoenix Metro area (including Surprise) has mostly HOA properties, you've got a HUGE problem. (Sorry I know this upsets you, but you need to know about this NOW.)

As far as the vegetable boxes, I assume you mean the ones that are built with wood sides that are visible. Isn't that kind of a big expense for a rental? And again, you may have to get permission from the HOA. Me, I'd pass on this entire idea until I owned a property, and if it were super important to me, I'd pass on any property that required HOA approval for vegetable boxes.

I can't comment on the schools or free fruit thing.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:00 PM

I would think that HOAs would for the most part not care very much about a vegetable box that can't be seen from outside the yard. Not that different from raised planters for flowers or shrubbery. It's something to check, but likely not a big problem. If you find the right house in every other respect, you are just going to have to buy vegetables.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 PM

19,455 posts, read 27,902,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I would think that HOAs would for the most part not care very much about a vegetable box that can't be seen from outside the yard. Not that different from raised planters for flowers or shrubbery. It's something to check, but likely not a big problem. If you find the right house in every other respect, you are just going to have to buy vegetables.
I would agree, Observer. But there are a few that would have a problem - like any that don't have walls around the property and those boxes could be viewed by neighbors.

Since the OP is a vegan, raw food person, they clearly have a special interest in making SURE that they won't have a problem.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:26 PM

13,888 posts, read 8,086,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl7 View Post
Hi Everyone, sorry for all the topics I have been posting but you guys are very helpful and I am now trying to decide where I should rent. We were out there for 4 days just last week/weekend and we LOVED Surprise but that was the first time we were in Surprise, I am familiar with Phoenix and Scottsdale from last year. Just because we love Surprise doesn't mean we should rent there but I am open for options, I figure the year that I rent, I can explore Surprise if I don't live there. That way maybe I won't love it as much as I think if I learn more about it. My son will be at ASU on campus but I want to at least be in a decent driving distance, my husband will work in Phoenix, my other son needs to go to a safe high school, I have already done open enrollment for all the schools in Surprise, I will find out next month if he got into Willow Canyon, so if I don't rent in Surprise and the school isn't good where I rent, then I would want to drive him there so I would need it to be a decent driving distance. I will work remotely. Things we like to do are Hiking so hiking trails near by would be awesome, I would like to have a variety of grocery stores like Sprouts, Trader Joes, Fry's near by. I want to feel safe and pay a reasonable rent. I am looking for a 4 bedroom home, need to work out something with my 6 cats, want a clean place, nice size backyard (no pool needed), would like to pay under $1200 a month/closer to $950-1000 would be perfect.

Also with renting since I haven't done it for 19 years, are the landlords friendly? During inspections am I allowed to be there (I only ask because of my cats, I love them so much and never want them to feel scared if a stranger is in the house without me), and am I allowed to have garden boxes in the yard if I rent?

Also random question, people who have fruit trees in their yards, I heard from my realtor that so many people don't pick a lot of fruit and it goes to waste, I am a raw/vegan and the thought of this makes me want to ask people if I can come pick their fruit if they are just going to let it go, is that rude?

You want to be sure all concerns are covered BEFORE the lease is signed. An owner usually isn't too happy when they find a tenet is not following their lease agreement. Again if you have any concerns be sure to mention them up front.

As far as landlords being friendly or not. I am polite and courteous but neither my PM nor I am overly friendly.

I tried that approach for several years and had tenants contact me should there be any problems. Unfortunately, I found myself being taken advantage of.

These days my current PM makes sure everyone is on the same page before moving in and if problems develop later on it's rarely because of a misunderstanding.

Last edited by john3232; 03-07-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-07-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I would agree, Observer. But there are a few that would have a problem - like any that don't have walls around the property and those boxes could be viewed by neighbors.

Since the OP is a vegan, raw food person, they clearly have a special interest in making SURE that they won't have a problem.

I haven't seen an HOA neighborhood without fenced/walled back yards ANYWHERE around here. I don't think she's talking about putting them in the front yard.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:02 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,710,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I haven't seen an HOA neighborhood without fenced/walled back yards ANYWHERE around here. I don't think she's talking about putting them in the front yard.
most all the properties in an hoa that border on a moat/lake/wild area/greenspace have steel fences, so you can enjoy the view, and those areas often enforce rules on back yards if others can see in.. though I dont think that budget is gonna get lakefront or a golf course...

the cats & the budget are going to be the hang up. 4 beds/$1k & 6 cats.. yeich.. I'd start looking asap & I wouldnt expect to be very picky, because thats a tall order.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
most all the properties in an hoa that border on a moat/lake/wild area/greenspace have steel fences, so you can enjoy the view, and those areas often enforce rules on back yards if others can see in.. though I dont think that budget is gonna get lakefront or a golf course...

the cats & the budget are going to be the hang up. 4 beds/$1k & 6 cats.. yeich.. I'd start looking asap & I wouldnt expect to be very picky, because thats a tall order.

You're right, I used to live in one of those lakeside homes... But, we had solid block walls on both sides until the slope down to the water. No one would have seen a raised vegetable box.

That said, with the OP's budget, you are right that homes like that are not in the picture anyway.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:10 PM

240 posts, read 348,744 times
Thanks everyone, I did contact an HOA out there when I was considering buying and they were fine with cats inside and I told them 6, although that was only one HOA. They told me they only had issues with certain animals like farm animals, ones that shouldn't be at a house.

I want to be completly up front with my landlord and honest about everything, that's why I am pointing out my 6 cats up front, I would never try to hide anything, I want to feel secure when I rent a place and not worry about causing issues.

Do house rentals have alarm systems? if Not am I able to install any kind of security system?

The vegetable boxes I am talking about are just very simple wood boxes or planter boxes that I would put in the backyard and grow some vegetables, I couldn't imagine why they wouldn't let me put them in since they are very easy to remove and would not damage the property. I would of course ask this also.

My budget can be higher, I just figured since I was renting I wouldn't want to pay more than I would have for a mortgage but 1200 is a fair amount don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area