Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 11:37 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,236,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdsmom View Post
I forgot to mention Pebble Creek! Fantastic area with wonderful amenities. Without knowing your age, it advertises 55+ but many residents are in their 40's-50'S. We have neighbors that just sold in the newer part of Canyon Trails and moved to Pebble Creek, they love it. I think they are in the new homes in Tuscany Falls golf area. You can't beat the location, central to shopping & dining. I-10, N Pebble Creek Pkwy. West of N Bullard, East of Cotton Ln. North of W Mc Dowell & I-10, South of W Indian School.
It's a vacation home with kids...you can't have kids in Pebble Creek.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Driving between Verrado and Estrella, you won't be out of your way much. It might cost you an hour to get the feel of Palm Valley and LP.

It will be interesting to hear about your impressions. While Palm Valley is very nice, I'm going to predict it is going to fall short of what you are looking for. If I lived in AZ full time, I would need the proximity to businesses and closer to town. Hence Palm Valley or LP would trump a Verrado like feel. But since you are looking for a week here and there, I expect you will be making an offer on something on a newer master planned community.

Like everybody advises for year round folks, rent 1st to know what you are getting. I would recommend using VRBO 1st to make sure you understand the real-deal and logistics of going shopping, restaurants etc.

I know you expressed your concern of homes going up in price (and pricing you out). That was the case in 2011 but not in 2014.
I live in Canyon Trails and it is by no means has a resort feeling. It is a comfortable family neighborhood where most of the residents are raising kids. Not a bad place at all and there are deals to be had but if you're looking for amenities like those offered in Verrado and Estrella you're not going to be happy with Canyon Trails or Palm Valley as neither can offer that.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:24 AM

9,797 posts, read 11,191,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I live in Canyon Trails and it is by no means has a resort feeling. It is a comfortable family neighborhood where most of the residents are raising kids. Not a bad place at all and there are deals to be had but if you're looking for amenities like those offered in Verrado and Estrella you're not going to be happy with Canyon Trails or Palm Valley as neither can offer that.
+1. It will only cost him an hour to confirm. I suspect he will conclude exactly what you posted.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:35 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,314,805 times
I think it's odd how people criticize the artificial or fake element of these communities. I think both are amazing communities. My only criticism is that they are on the outskirts. I'm just jealous because I wish there were more communities like these in the more proximal areas of the Valley.

What is more fake, these communities or the cookie cutter stucco red tile roofed clones that exist all over the Valley. At least with these communities, they attempt to look like homes with normal things like...oh say grass, trees and picket fences. I've never bought into the idea that everything in Arizona has to be earth toned with Kachina symbols and cactus. I think that is silly.

I don't think anyone can go wrong with either of these communities. And you will notice that there is a huge demand for these type of master planned communities....so much so that people are willing to move to the most remote parts of the Valley to experience a true community with a neighborhood like feel that they grew up in. People are tiring of the cookie cutter clone neighborhoods in most of the Valley.

I have friends looking at Encanterra (Trilogy community) in the San Tan Valley. They are willing to live out there just to experience an amazing community. The same goes for Eastmark in east Mesa.

To answer the question, I prefer Verrado as a community but in terms of the total package (location too), I think Estrella has the slight edge. Verrado is really far out there, but it's gorgeous.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:46 PM

247 posts, read 844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
It's a vacation home with kids...you can't have kids in Pebble Creek.
Oops, sorry, forgot! Correct: "No person under the age of 19 shall occupy a Pebble Creek residence for more than sixty (60) cumulative overnight stays in any calendar year. Upon prior written request by a Resident, the Board may grant a short term extension for extenuating circumstances".

Old 04-06-2014, 05:45 PM

755 posts, read 1,120,269 times
Just back from our househunting trip! We went to Estrella and fell in love immediately. I do still think Verrado is wonderful and wouldn't complain if we were to end up there, but I think Estrella has more to offer for our kids. We have an offer in on one house (happens to be the most cookie-cutter one we saw, but very nice pool area) and are waiting to hear back. There are two other possibilities there right now, so if this one falls through we will still stick with Estrella. Absolutely LOVE it!

Thanks for all the input. Everyone here has been SO helpful.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:12 PM

943 posts, read 2,523,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
Just back from our househunting trip! We went to Estrella and fell in love immediately. I do still think Verrado is wonderful and wouldn't complain if we were to end up there, but I think Estrella has more to offer for our kids. We have an offer in on one house (happens to be the most cookie-cutter one we saw, but very nice pool area) and are waiting to hear back. There are two other possibilities there right now, so if this one falls through we will still stick with Estrella. Absolutely LOVE it!

Glad you found what you are looking for! Estrella is a beautiful community!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 PM

755 posts, read 1,120,269 times
Verrado is beautiful too. If I had to characterize the difference for those reading this thread with similar questions, I'd say Verrado is an idealized version of "hometown" America. Totally beautiful, green, tree-lined streets, with a main street and town center for community activities. Everyone we met there seems to love it, and the unique and architecturally interesting (though they are repeated, just like in almost any development) homes were a real draw for us. Lots were smaller and prices a bit higher. The community is newer and smaller at this point. The community pool has a, well, community pool feel, certainly not a resort feel.

Estrella is huge! The desert mountain setting is stunning. The rows of palms that greeted us as we entered the community were beautiful. The community center has a distinctly resort-like feel, aided by the lovely lakes which are not swampy or particularly green as I had feared. Lots of picnicking & families going on all around.

Of course I had to see with my own eyes the "yacht club." My fear was that there would be a few boats in disrepair, not enough to go around. There are canoes, kayaks, paddle boards and at least 4 sailboats. First come, first serve, for owners in the community only and "free" to use.

There are many different sections/subdivisions within Estrella offering a range of homes. We found several homes that would do well for us, with and without pools. Considering the loss we knew we'd take building out own pool, we preferred to find a house with a pool. However, it needed to be big enough for our 4 kids and most pools were quite small. It came down to a smaller house with a big-enough pool in a rather cookie-cutter section with not a whole lot of style but closer to lakes and shopping; or a very cute home on a large lot with no pool in a newer, more prestigious section farther removed from the action.

The house we offered on was the smaller one that's ready to enjoy, though if the deal falls through we have a backup we'll be more than happy with.

We did look at homes in older parts of the community that were showing their age, and had neighbors who did not keep up their yards/homes. There are parts of the community that feel a bit worn, but that's a great opportunity for me to fix some places up as time goes on!

There are gorgeous, huge custom homes and tiny, modest homes. Almost all neighborhoods we saw were very well kept.

I still think that Estrella lacks some of the style factor found in Verrado. Verrado still feels more upscale to me in a way I can't explain. But Estrella is more beautiful (if you like the desert mountains).

Actually I think Verrado is slightly quicker to get to than Estrella, but Estrella is within 10 minutes of shopping & chain restaurants in Goodyear. Since we won't be commuting it doesn't matter too much, but we were within 30 minutes of our hotel in the center of downtown.

For comparison, we did drive out to Tartesso and though it seems to be just 10 miles farther out on the map, it seems FOREVER away and not a very pretty drive either. Tartesso is lovely, but is what I'd call too far out and just doesn't compare to Estrella for the money.

Both houses we are considering (one of which we have an offer in on) are between 200k & 250k. We saw many for less than 200k, at least one with a pool.

Honestly, I do think Estrella feels kind of resort-like! With a lovely back yard pool, the scenic setting and attractive neighborhood there's nothing that interferes with relaxation and enjoyment. We're excited about it! We haven't really seen anything else that compares in our price range.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:43 PM

Glad you got to see everything and make up your mind. As I said earlier, our view of Verrado and Estrella are similar to what you discovered and we would pick Estrella over Verrado if we were in the market.

Let us know if you offer is accepted and when you plan to enjoy your new home for the first time. Congrats!

Old 04-06-2014, 11:58 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,479,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post

Great! Hope you get the offer you're looking for real soon.

My wife and I had the same exact experience at Estrella when we 1st saw it and knew we had to live there so we know how you feel. I'm sure your whole family will have a great experience there.

I agree with your view on picking up a home that perhaps someone left plain vanilla/didn't do much to it and make it your own with upgrades. That's what we did. I think you'll really like being close to the lakes....it's a close walk and you're close to many desert trails.

We were looking at new builds in Estrella before we bought by the lakes and while the houses/floor plans were nice, the mountains were in the far distance and it didn't have that feel you get when you're surrounded by all the hills/mountains in certain sections by the lake. We also like walking to the lakes from our home, not taking a car to get there or walking 2-3 miles to reach them and for your family, I think that will be a nice plus for you.

We'll see you by the lakes, the pool, or at the rec center hopefully soon!

Last edited by stevek64; 04-07-2014 at 12:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area